Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Have you a pet name for your Scope ?

cybadaz

I call my Skyliner 150 p Scope Brucey !! 

Not after the legend Mr Forsyth but after the Hull City Manager  Steve Bruce .

yes im a little excited about the final , but the name was christened on wednesday onn my second clearish night :)

what do you call your scope ??

My Meade 8" Cassegrain is called Cassiopeia.

I have a small apo called Black Betsy (as per shoeless Joe Jackson's bat).

And Dulcinea, a telescope I run remotely in Spain. Like Don Quijote who has never seen Dulcinea, I have never actually seen her....

A meade 5000 triplet remains without a name, called unceromoniously the 5000

The new Borg is still without a name.

C

i call mine 'the wife' because like my ex, and my ex-missus, they do something on far too regular basis to annoy the hell out of me :D

in my next incarnation, i will forgo women for the joys of a permanent obsy and another fast car... (i miss my rx-7)

Nobody would have called Isaac Newton 'pet' (if they wished to survive) but our large Newtonian (Dobsonian) is called 'Sir Isaac.' Not Isaac. SIR Isaac and, if you must abbreviate, make that 'SIr!'

:grin: lly

i call mine 'the wife' because like my ex, and my ex-missus, they do something on far too regular basis to annoy the hell out of me :D

in my next incarnation, i will forgo women for the joys of a permanent obsy and another fast car... (i miss my rx-7)

Nights were made for astronomy, not women....If only I'd known that when I was younger....

My 16 year old Helios 8" newt wobbles upon an old eq mount, atop a tripod that has repeatedly -

needed mending and reinforcing with Wire /Tape/ bolts etc over the years as it gets carried through the

house and into the garden every obs day/night.

I have recently taken to calling it "Kit", as apart from the OTA there is little of the original set-up left.

Mick

This is called Bertha (it's a Lyra Optics 154mm f/8 ISTAR), the rest don't have names: 

There is something so lovely about silver/chrome OTA's. Not sure i'd like one though as the finger prints on it would drive me up the wall. I'm a bit OCD about finger prints on stuff.

There is something so lovely about silver/chrome OTA's. Not sure i'd like one though as the finger prints on it would drive me up the wall. I'm a bit OCD about finger prints on stuff.

It's not too bad Paul. Big clean with Autosol then a few good coats of polish and it's pretty much fingerprint proof for a month or so. Excellent WL solar scope as it stays cool all day in the sun and pretty good comet and general all rounder at night. :)

Cheers

Ian

This is called Bertha (it's a Lyra Optics 154mm f/8 ISTAR), the rest don't have names:

My Grandmother was called Bertha and she was really hacked off when the Germans named a Howitzer after her in WW1, lasted until the end.

Your naming of a telescope would have pleased her immensely, even though the same thought process appertains. :)

Mine "La Vache" see other threads.

My 16 year old Helios 8" newt wobbles upon an old eq mount, atop a tripod that has repeatedly -

needed mending and reinforcing with Wire /Tape/ bolts etc over the years as it gets carried through the

house and into the garden every obs day/night.

I have recently taken to calling it "Kit", as apart from the OTA there is little of the original set-up left.

Mick

Hope you're wearing better than the scope Mick, you're sig pic' looks remarkably like a pic' in Sky@Night mag Feb 2007, bit like that guy who had a painting in the loft  :grin:

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Archived