SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pelican Nebula (130pds)

Uranium235

Typically, a full moon and it was clear.... but I wasnt going to let that stop me since its been ages since Ive last been out. A good time to test the tilt adaptor, which worked on fixing the problem corner - only to slightly knock out another (sigh..) - I'll get it right sooner or later!

Good to see Cygnus back, not quite high enough for the Veil - but there are plenty of goodies on offer in the meantime. A week night meant that my time outside was limited, so just an hour on this one - hence a bit of noise. I plan to expand this over to the NAN and add some OIII when conditions allow (ie: no moon).

This was done under a full-on moon, no need for a torch last night! So im surprised there arent any gradients in there.

IC5070: Pelican Nebula

8x450 (Ha) 2x2bin

130pds, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Sampling rate: 3.4" p/p

Calib: Flats and Bias

Thanks for looking :)

Rob

14007562390_9dca546d58_b.jpg

Cheers Fay :)  Good thing about Cygnus is that it seems to stick around for a very long time too - its also in a good spot for me since it never gets interfered with by the huge tree next door.

Cheers Sara :)  No doubt I will fiddle with the scope yet again before the next session. Getting a good(ish) field isnt too hard, its just getting 100% which is proving difficult.

If it stays cloudy im going to bite the bullet and take the whole thing apart (spider, secondary, focuser) - square the foucser and test a cunning plan that I have in regard to centreing the spider (with a laser*). Ive tried to avoid squaring the focuser unti now, but given the work Ive already done - I may as well go the whole hog.

* = Why a laser? Well, how do you centre a spider properly if the end of your tube isnt round? This seems to be a logical solution.

Well, that looks stunning to me! Great work.

I wonder, this looks fantastic and was shot with a full moon, which seems to be spitefully bright at the moment, so how much better would it be with no moon? Does the Ha filter really mean that imaging is completely possible all month long or is it worth waiting for no moonlight?

Well, that looks stunning to me! Great work.

I wonder, this looks fantastic and was shot with a full moon, which seems to be spitefully bright at the moment, so how much better would it be with no moon? Does the Ha filter really mean that imaging is completely possible all month long or is it worth waiting for no moonlight?

With Ha, imaging is possible at all times of the month (apart from stuff thats a bit to close to the Moon). Its just that with strong moonlight the weaker parts of emission nebulae carry a lot more noise or are just more difficult than they should be. Perhaps a narrower-band filter will improve matters (ie: Astodon 3.5nm), but those filters do carry quite a hefty premium - one 2" Astrodon would cost more than the telescope + corrector put together!

Cheers Guy, I think it might be pretty close to sorted now as ive finally gotten round to squaring the focuser. Some more clear sky would be useful, just so I can get a good selection of stars on the chip.

Archived