Narrowband

buying 2 EP's little advice plz

Ok money went to hell very fast as a ton of bills all came at once but ive managed to get enough saved to order 2 eyepieces (not the bst ones i planned but i will get some of those when funds are better) so i decided to order 2 Vixen NPL eyepieces as they was also recommended to me here and within the tiny budget i have right now. If my understanding is right these are the ones i plan to order

8mm for planetary views

25mm for stars and more deep space objects

total order will be £73 which just about comes under the pitiful £80 i can spare this week. if im wrong on what mm is better for what or someone can suggest better for the prices would love to know before i order them in about a hour or two

Personnel only but I would have waited a week added £20 and bought the BST Starguiders at 8mm and 25mm.

The Vixens are good but plossl's have the slight drawback of varying eye relief and beng non-par-focal.

Nothing overly bad but the convenience of reasonable eye relief and being more parfocal makes life easier and more pleasant.

The other factor is that at present the nights are lighrt so little observing chance.

No real need to dive in.

John's post has just appeared and those NPL's may be a good alternative approach.

Have you seen this UK Astro Buy & Sell advert (it's not mine I should add) ?:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=81971

I've had the 30mm NPL on loan from First Light Optics for a few months and it's a great low power eyepiece  :smiley:

Buying used would help your budget go quite a lot further.

I have looked at that site but i do not like the lack of seller detail like ebay etc have feedback(seller ratings) and only shows how many items they have listed not if transactions went well or not

I'm somewhat strapped right now and also have a decision to make, MaxVision EPs vs Guide Scope. 

You already have a 25mm and a 10mm as standard. The 25mm is really not too bad.

As has been stated the daylight conditions make things difficult.

I'd keep this months pennies in a jar and add to them next month, 35 quid or so per EP is not going to get you much further along than what you have now.

If you are certainly going to purchase NOW, then I'd put the pot on 1 EP, an ES MV 24mm, and save for the shorter one.

My plan, by the way.

Cheers,

Rich

I have never been ripped off using AB&S and I'm sure there are thousands of people who would agree with this statement.

You could always pay by PayPal for some protection.

On the whole I think we are quite a trustworthy lot........ stands back awaiting tirade of objections to this.

+1 for buying used, it'll save you lots of money in the long run.

Ronin is right about short focal length(under 15mm) plossl have short eye relief, are not suitable for spectables. 30mm NPL on the other hand, will have enough eye relief for any spectables, even though I've not looked through a NPL, only have had BST 8mm and 12mm, I'm kind of confindent that 30mm NPL will be an better choice than BST 25mm, from the reviews I've read about NPL, and my views through the BSTs.

I have got all my current ep off that website or eBay and found some really good deals. Bst are good for their money and offer good eye relief.

However I have 8mm televue plossl, although it has tight eye relief and small fov, it is brilliant for planetary work. Got it for £40 second hand

I have looked at that site but i do not like the lack of seller detail like ebay etc have feedback(seller ratings) and only shows how many items they have listed not if transactions went well or not

It's the premier site for buying and selling used astro equipment in the UK. Much better than e.bay in my view. Myself and many members here use it often and I've personally had dozens of very satisfactory transactions through the UK Astro Buy & Sell website.

You will probably be dealing with an SGL member anyway !

UK Astro Buy & Sell is an excellent resource for selling and buying.  I scan that site regularly and as a result have bought and sold on it.  All transactions so far have been very friendly & as a result I have made connections with other astronomers who share the same interest and share very good information.   Its not just about the stale sale, the site from my experience has more value than just getting what you want.  Generally astronomers want to pass onto other astronomers who in turn make the most of everything.  My general impressions of the hobbyist we are all dealing with here, across both forums and sale rooms, is fair, kind with similar aims.

Archived