Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi people. Finally got my new dob out on Tuesday! Saw mars, moon and Saturn. Even tho the views were truly amazing, the stock ep's as is normally the case were not so amazing! I would like to upgrade them so been looking at Meade Series 4000 Super Plossl Eyepieces (9,15 and 32mm) Are these a good choice or are there better ones available around £40-£60?

Thanks in advance

Shep

I am assuming the scope is f/6 so plossl's should be workable.

The 9mm will not have much eye relief, about 6mm so if you wear glasses then it may not be right.

In the £40-60 area fall the BST Starguiders, generally reckoned very good. Focal lengths are 5mm, 8mm, 12mm. 15mm 18mm and 25mm. THey are 60 degree eyepieces, bit more then a plossl and are reported as good down to f/5 and have read a bit faster.

Next in cost are the Celestron X-Cels, little over at £64. Slightly better selection of focal lengths: 5mm, 7mm, 9mm, 12mm, 15mm, 15mm, 18mm and 25mm

Newish one around are the Celestron planetary's at £35, not sure of the focal lengths off hands but planetary's usually arrive in 1mm increments at the lower end.

The Starguiders tend to win for popularity. Little less cost then the X-Cels and performance is more or less identical. 50% like one 50% the other but at £49 not £64 the £15 is often the deciding factor.

If going to IAS at Leamington in early June see if Alan has them on off there, he did last year.

Hi people. Finally got my new dob out on Tuesday! Saw mars, moon and Saturn. Even tho the views were truly amazing, the stock ep's as is normally the case were not so amazing! I would like to upgrade them so been looking at Meade Series 4000 Super Plossl Eyepieces (9,15 and 32mm) Are these a good choice or are there better ones available around £40-£60?

Thanks in advance

Shep

Not sure what your stock EPs are, the simpler MA EPs are not the best, but if it is plossl, it should  reasonablly good. BST or X-cel will give your wider field of view (60 degree instead of plossl's 52 degree) better eye-relief for shorter focal length (9mm or 15mm EP e.g.), and some optical improvement.

I'd recommend you to spend more time with you EPs first before spending anything. It's kind of easy to blame the stock EP than complaining one's own inexperient eyes. I seem to recall that from time to time that beginners cann't see any Messier galaxy with their 10" or 12" scope with upgraded EPs(even the many hundred quids ones), while these object should be visible in 5" scopes in backyard.

When you're ready to upgrade your EPs, take serious look at the S/H market here, it'll save you good amount of money

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php

Good advice there. The bst eyepieces are very good for the money but have a play with your stock eyepieces first, if nothing else it will give you an idea of the support of lengths you get on with for your available targets.

Archived