Narrowband

'Watcha' from Shropshire/Lincolnshire

morayskies

Hi All

Have followed SGL as a guest for sometime and have finally got around to joining.

I have been interested in astronomy for almost 50 years and have tried to pursue the 'hobby' during my moves around the UK.  Spent 18 years in Moray, Scotland where I was one of the founder members of SIGMA - the AS based near Elgin.  During my time there I was lucky and caught many auroral displays over the Moray Firth in the late 80's and 90's.

Currently living near Telford, Shropshire where I am a member of the Shropshire AS and serve on their committee as webmaster (www.shropshire-astro.com) - did serve as Chairman for a couple of years but managed to escape at an AGM  :grin: .  Currently in the process of moving to darker skies near Spalding in Lincolnshire and looking forward to having 'big skies'.

Main area of interests are lunar and planetary photography.  Still very interested in the aurora but not seeing many (any!) yet this far south.

Looking forward to 'picking the brains' of other SGL members and, perhaps, being able to contribute in some small way.

Regards

Moray Skies

Celestron 6" SCT, SkyWatcher 6" f8 Newtonian, SkyWatcher 90mm f10 refractor, Coronado PST and too many binoculars to mention :cool2:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome.

I'm a beginner and your experience will be far greater than mine. However, I can endorse the fact that Northern Scotland can be a good place to view the sky. Have had several views of the aurora over time, the best at Cape Wrath (about forever ago) and have been awestruck at night in the Cairngorms!

Got my telescope only a short while ago and have had too few opportunities to use it. Aiming to get myself sorted with a nearby dark site if I can - and have plans to add an easier grab 'n go scope in the future. The 6" Dob is what I would describe as only 'semi-portable'!

Yours aye - and, of course, clear skies.

Welcome, Moray Skies; I think I may have met you before at an SAS Meeting a couple of years ago (Attingham Park) - were you the chap who showed me some fabulous photographs of Aurora? LOL, probably too long ago to remember...  :D (Another clue: Norway?)

Welcome.

I'm a beginner and your experience will be far greater than mine. However, I can endorse the fact that Northern Scotland can be a good place to view the sky. Have had several views of the aurora over time, the best at Cape Wrath (about forever ago) and have been awestruck at night in the Cairngorms!

Got my telescope only a short while ago and have had too few opportunities to use it. Aiming to get myself sorted with a nearby dark site if I can - and have plans to add an easier grab 'n go scope in the future. The 6" Dob is what I would describe as only 'semi-portable'!

Yours aye - and, of course, clear skies.

Hi Gordon

I have very fond memories of observing the aurora from Moray.  I remember the display of 13 March 1989 which covered the entire sky - awesome!  You may (or may not) remember that the solar storm which caused this display also 'blew up' hundreds of electrical grid transformers in Canada.

Richard

Hi and welcome.

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for the welcome.  I see you have the SW ED 80 PRO.  This is a scope I am now considering when we move to darker skies.  How do you find this scope?  (Please don't say "In the observatory"  :smiley: )

Regards

Richard

Hi and welcome to SGL - Great to have you here, I'm sure you've got loads to contribute.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi Sara

Thanks for the welcome.  Hope I am able to make the odd contribution in some small way  :laugh:

Regards

Richard

hi and a warm welcome

robert.

Thanks for the welcome Robert.  I'm looking forward to chatting with the folk on SGL.

Regards

Richard

Welcome, Moray Skies; I think I may have met you before at an SAS Meeting a couple of years ago (Attingham Park) - were you the chap who showed me some fabulous photographs of Aurora? LOL, probably too long ago to remember...  :D (Another clue: Norway?)

Hi Mostly Harmless

Could well have been me.  I have been helping the Shropshire AS with the Attingham event for about 4 years now although, if our move goes ahead, I don't think I will have the opportunity to again  :sad: .  Looking forward, however, to making new astro friends in the Spalding area of Lincolnshire :laugh: .

Give my regards to Norway - Slarty Bartfast did a great job with that one :grin: 

Regards

Richard 

Hello from an island at the west coast of Norway

Not much to pick from my brain though  :smiley:

Rune

Hi Rune

An island off the west coast of Norway?  Bet you have some great dark skies there and, of course, the aurora - not that I am anyway envious  :Envy: .

Great name - the same as my Danish son-in-law  :smiley:

Regards

Richard

Hi, welcome to SGL :) Must be nice to see an aurora in real life - it's the one thing I've not done yet.

Hi Michael

To see a bright and active aurora is to have an experience you will never forget.

Regards

Richard

Hi and welcome. Don't know Shropshire but Elgin and Moray are great, so are SIGMA. Very impressed with them when I visited a few years ago.

Hi Umbraldot

Has been a few years since I was involved with SIGMA - must have done a good job though  :grin:

Regards

Richard

Archived