Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

faulksy

obsession scope ab+s

An Obsession. Perhaps the one thing that could break the hold Apo refractors have over me...

I think I'd spend the extra 9% (or less, "nearly £6k!!") and buy a new one if I had that sort of cash and wanted one.

• Like 1

it also didn't seem much of a saving to me.

The seller advising in the ad "with the conversion charges and shipping comes to nearly £6k!!" & the asking price of this second hand scope being £5,500. I have not checked the Obsession website for new costs, nor done the shipping/vat/import duty calculations myself, but £5,500 sounds very close to "nearly £6k" to me.......  

5.5 grand just for 15" scope is a bit over the top.For that money you can easily have a custom made 20" or bigger aperture dob.Or get an absolutely superb fluorite frac from US if you are planetary fan in likes of Tak 128 and still have a lot of change left over for EP`s and other gizmos and a new bag for wife too!

well,i just checked Obsession website and it clearly states that 15" UC is $4995 + shipping and crating. what is about 3300 in our UK money + whatever shipping and uk VAT.as this one is obviously used unit asked price of 5500 is a bit steep.I wish seller best of luck in selling this.

Shipping from obsession to Heathrow was quoted to me (for 18"uc) $825, I imagine to my door would be knocking on $1000 all up so call it $800 for the 15".

The flight case from obsession is $500 or thereabouts. Even adding customs charges that ad on abs has got to be above full price!

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

I agree it seems a little expensive. I suppose one advantage is that you can touch and feel this one but surely it's not that much of an effort to upload some pics?

Out of interest just went on an import duty calculator.

$5000    Scope

$ 500     Case

$800      Shipping

$75        Insurance ( A guess)

$6375    Total

£3778 is the total customs value

£ 158.69 Duty

£ 787.41 Vat

£4778 is the total landed price, plus maybe a bit for the post office if duty isn't paid in advance.

So as everyone says it looks much too expensive.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/saved_calculations/view_details/187887830/

• Like 2

Who is going to have £5.5k sitting around in cash, and willing to walk/drive around with it?!

Who is going to have £5.5k sitting around in cash, and willing to walk/drive around with it?!

me :D but not this time

• Like 1

definately wood lol, how do you think you go deep and dark