SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Portsmouth, UK, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe...

Jonk

...sorry, a little fun with my location.

Howdy, I'm Jon and thought it was time I signed up.

I'm fairly new to astronomy and an particularly interested in astrophotography of DSOs and maybe planets.

I started only a few months ago and bought a SW 150 DOB and SW114 eq, followed by a SW130 eq...and this week bought a used astrophotography setup consisting of the following:

SW150P, HEQ5 synscan, ST80 Guider, few webcams, laptop with guiding and imaging software etc etc.

This hobby has already cost me over £3000 in around 3-4 months if you include the new DSLR / lenses / tripod etc.....!!

Anyway, I've been reading the forums for a few months now and really want the winter to arrive so it's dark by 5pm!

I need to learn the best ways to do things with guiding and long exposure imaging so if there any 1 line tips that are a must to do, please let me know.

I look forwards to posting nebula photos, galaxies etc. as these are my targets.

There's a good opportunity to get some decent milky way shots in June, so that's the first real test of what I can learn at home.

Wish me luck!

Jon

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi John and welcome to the forum. One thing I would recommend for anyone starting out in astrophotography ("dark art" :grin:) is to get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" which provides a very comprehensive guide to kit and techniques that will help you generate good consistent images.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

James

Edit: Ha Ha Lee just beat me to it recommending the book!

Thanks chaps and chapesses.

I've used stellarium for a couple of months and also the WWT.

Stellarium will be really useful with EQMOD and the HEQ5 out in the garden if I want to stay indoors!

Wireless network to a laptop with VNC...lovely....

For observing however, tell stellarium what I want to look at, and by the time I go outside I will be able to observe straight away. Lazy huh?!

Cheers.

Hi Jon,

Welcome and looking forward to seeing your astro pics when you get them.

I'm just over the water on the IOW (albeit west side) so I'll try keep my lights off to help cut any light pollution from your SWesterly deep space pics :-)

Simon

For the moment whilst I'm on the learning curve, I'll be in the back garden trying to locate and image as things are direct overhead, but when it comes to next winter, there's 2 dark sky sites we will use - Butser and Old Winchester Hill.

It would be interesting to know who else goes to these 2 places?

Hi Jon and welcome to SGL - I see that the book 'making Every Photon Count' has already been recommended - Something of an imgers bible for DSO's, it needs to be read at least 2x before spending a single bean. Then you will understand what works and why.

DSO imaging is all about the mount, mount, mount ................... Have I said that the mount is important? :grin: Undermount at your peril, it will give you many headaches in an already difficult hobby.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Yes the mount is important and more expensive than the scope....that's already been drummed into me (useful as I play drums, but I digress...)

I have the HEQ6 that I've just bought, and the seller is looking at an EQ8....he reckons that'll be around £3k alone.

What I want to do long term, is when I buy another house out in the sticks in a year or 2's time, is build a man cave at the end of the garden with a deep concrete base and bury a solid mount with a strong goto fitted on top.

That's the plan anyway......

Welcome.

Good luck with the AP - you've splashed out a lot already and deserve success if only for that reason.

But don't wish your life away hurrying winter to arrive ... Plenty to occupy you in the meantime, I should think!

The summer is for the motorbike....!

I am into normal photography, portraits, landscapes, action mainly so have plenty to do. I'll use the summer to learn the equipment so when I get a good winter's night I can spend the time wisely actually imaging rather than learning.

Good advice that's come from this forum, so glad I read it.

Hi Jon welcome to the lounge,

good luck with the A P, and enjoy your time here in S G L,

by the way, you didn't put which county your from.

have fun ann Clear Sky's

Hi Jon and welcome to SGL, you can look forward to some exciting and frustrating times with AP and no doubt empty pockets from time to time. But what price do you put on personal achievement and enjoyment :)

Archived