SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Spectro on Linux?

Hi chaps

I thought it more relevant to post this here instead of the software section!.

After yet another night in the obs with `Twitchy` Windows on my laptop I`ve installed a 32bit version of Mint 16 on an old desktop including the excellent scope control software Ekos and everything is recognised and working great. I`d now like to abandon Windows altogether but two things were stopping me 1- Pixinsight but I gather they now do a Linux build so that should be ok and 2- Spectro software!. I`d like to learn IRAF/PYRAF when I have more time but until then I`d prefer to use software I`m familiar with such as BASS,ISIS,Rspec etc and wondering if anyone has got these running ok under Linux using either `Wine` or a virtual drive at all??. I had  a play with Wine last night but not configured it correctly yet and I also created a Virual drive but to be honest the virual stuff is not an area I`m familiar with so didn`t really know what I was doing with that but the `Wine` option seems the best if it can be done. Anyone tried these under linux please?

Cheers

Steve

Answer from Andy at PHD2...

PHD2 can be built and run on Linux -- instructions -- although we do not provide pre-built binaries like we do for Windows and OSX.  Development on Linux is a bit behind, although Hans has recently been leading some efforts to get it up-to-date and functional. I believe it works now with INDI cameras and mounts (and the simulators also work FWIW).

Thanks for the info Ken. I didn`t know PHD could run under Linux . The guiding provided by Ekos is supposed to be pretty good although I haven`t tried it yet!. Its mainly the actual processing of the spectra I was concerned about. Under `Wine` I managed to install BASS on my laptop but it wouldn`t run, same with ISIS. Rspec installs and seems to run for a second or two then freezes, haven`t tried Vspec or SPC Audace yet. Might have to keep Windows for now purely for processing spectra although virtual drives might be worth checking out?.

cheers

Steve

Hi guys
After a lot of trying and failing I`ve managed to get ISIS running under Linux by using a combination of Wine and Mono runtime!. I can load images into ISIS via the `Open` button but clicking on the `Display` button I just get file not found and also when trying to get ISIS to process anything??. I suspect its something to do with the format of the working directory path. If I try some spectra taken for example on a Monday then running ISIS in Windows I would put the working directory path as eg c:\ISIS\Monday but under Linux this would become for example /home/steve/ISIS/Monday so before I abandon the idea altogether anyone any ideas how to get ISIS to use the Linux working directory path format please? icon_rolleyes.gif
Thanks
Steve

• 1 month later...

Tried that distro Jack and it seems a nice one although for spectro they use IRAF which has quite a learning curve attached to it.  I`m really liking Linux and using Kubuntu 14.04 at the moment. Finally sussed out how to use ISIS under Wine now and its working well. If the guys working on Kstars/Ekos can sort out the few bugs I think it could be the dogs whatsits for astronomy!

Steve

Steve,

When using different operating systems this becomes a problem so I just stick to Windows XP if you want to use Linnux then you will need to run all software on the same operating system.

Is Linnux supported as well as Windows?

Regards,

Jack

There's a new release of Distro Astro "coming soon".  That might resolve some of the current problems.  Assuming it will be based on Mint 17 it will fundamentally be Ubuntu 14.04 under the hood though, so probably not hugely different from Kubuntu 14.04 other than having a different UI and many of the astronomy apps already installed.  Once I get oacapture sorted so that it will package up properly I hope they'll include that too.

James

Hi Jack

Yes I had an XP lappy which died, never had a single problem with XP !. Linux does seem to have extraordinary support from all over the place, just pick a particular distro and there are forums, tutorials and all sorts. The danger is that of spending more time at the keyboard  than the scope which I`m guilty of lately but the Linux/Indi/Ekos way of doing things seems very interesting for astronomy and also without breaking the bank ie its free!.

best

Steve

Hi James

Yes I gather a new Distro Astro was due around the equinox apparantly! Linux Mint seems to be based around the Gnome desktop whereas Kubuntu is KDE which seems a lot more `windows like` and so far (touching wood!) has been pretty stable. I`ve still got the laptop dual bootable (just in case :smiley: )

Steve

Steve

I am in the same boat as you. I now have Kstars and Ekos / INDI all working. Just modified my RC250 to focus using INDI-Duino from an Arduino....cool.

Anyhow, that's the bit I can't leave windows for..... Spectroscopy. Still have dual-boot, but it makes me feel "dirty" booting onto Win8.1 (Uckh!)

As you say the ESA stuff looks good, but VERY steep learning curve!

Have tried to get BASS Project running under WIne, but it doesn't seem to want to play. I can't find anyone else who has tried it, nor any of the other (easier) spectra analysis packages. Although you say you have ISIS working now.

Linux rocks!

Roo

Hi Roo

No I couldn`t get BASS to run under Wine either also Rspec but ISIS and Vspec working fine.

I`d be interested to hear if you have managed to create an observing list to use with Ekos. I`ve been trying to create one using HD numbered stars for spectro but it constantly crashes!

I noticed on the INDIlib forum you had managed the indiduino, nice one!

BTW any luck with the YAS web site yet seems still down?

cheers

Steve

Steve

Not done any real runs yet with Linux. Still re-assembling the RC250 following the Arduino upgrade. I also have had to sort out a few other things along the way too.

I will give it a go as soon as I can and let you know what I find out.

I have been looking at IRAF and I am not sure I want to invest all that time at the moment.... I think I will have a go with either ISIS or VSPEC. Which one of these two is the better/easier??

Roo

Roo

Vspec easier but now I`ve got the hang of it ISIS is brilliant. I have made an Argon/Neon lamp from one of the Relco starter bulbs and with ISIS you can select that you are using the Alpy 600 calibration unit (you arn`t but I believe its the same bulb!) and when it comes to calibrating , ISIS cleverly detects the 5852.49 Angs emission line from the bulb and from that works out the whole calibration spectrum and then uses that to calibrate the spectrum of the chosen star, you don`t have to manually enter any wavelengths at all, clever stuff :smiley: I`ve found that when opening ISIS under Wine it can take about 30 secs to appear on screen and you think its not working which is partly why I didn`t think it worked initially.

Steve

Archived