Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar images from yesterday afternoon May 12th 2014

madjohn

Hi folks

I'd thought I'd post the results of yesterdays work using my Evolunt 150 modified solarscope and DMK31 camera.
All video files had a master flat subtracted to remove dust specks and gradients which makes for far easier processing using AS2!

Hope you like them.

First is a close up view of a Sunspot using my system at F32 by joining my 2.25x Baader barlow on top of my 1.6x barlow (not to be recommended at home kids!)

Next up is a 9 frame mosaic composite of the best 100 frames of a 750 frame video file.
I inverted the surface and blended in the dark sunspot cores over the inverted white ones. This makes it look almost 3D to me and shows the detail more readily
Last is a side by side comparison showing the two original versions of the mosaic.
Which do you prefer? all critique good or bad welcome! 

post-2542-0-07187500-1399987698_thumb.jp

post-2542-0-49831500-1399987810_thumb.jp

post-2542-0-27797400-1399988534_thumb.jp

Very nice John, I've been resisting the urge to buy a solar scope and this isn't helping :) we seem to have had better daytime skies than night time ones recently, another reason to buy one.

Dave

Super images :) :) :)

Personally I prefer the positives :) but negatives can be used in conjunction to accentuate a filament (just my personal likes and dislikes, everyone else will prefer the negative I can guarantee - it is a biological part of human brain programming and I am not joking) :)

Alexandra

These are cracking shots :)

I like them all. The close is a great shot - its funny that you stacked a couple of barlows, I did the same last time I was out (2.5 powermate and a 2x Tal Barlow).

I do like what you've done with the composite, I don't think it would have been the same with White Sun Spots!

Ant

Archived