Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Nikon D5200 or Canon EOS 650D?

Hi All,

I recently sold my trusty Nikon D40 and am now in the market for a new DSLR. One of the considerations is how good it will be for astro photography.

They are both similar in spec but:

I like the Canon more in terms of design and how it feels in the hand. I can buy a remote shutter trigger with timers.

The Nikon has a wifi fob that can be used with a mobile phone to trigger the shutter and preview images.

Realistically is there a huge benefit to the wifi transmitter?

Looking forward to your feedback.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Canons hold favour due to more readily available astro software to control from a PC. Having said that if you own lots of Nikon glass you may want to stick to Nikon.

BTW, I've edited your title as requested.

Ok, so I can connect the 650D to a PC? if so that's great and my mind is made up.

I have a couple of Nikon lenses which I think I will sell and buy a 17-200. It'll be expensive but I hope that I can manage to get some of the stuff second hand.

Anyone have experience of buying second hand cameras? Is it a good idea?

You can connect the D5200 to the PC and I think the software support for it is good enough for AP use.

Here is some comparison on different sensors in DSLRs and the D5200 performs very well.

http://sensorgen.info/

Maybe the 650D share the same sensor as other Canon models, I couldn't find it in the list.

I was in your situation for a year ago, should I continue with Nikon? After a big research I found out that the Nikon D600 was the model if shoud choose as a replacement for my D80 and it performs very good for all type of photography and I am happy with it.

I bought my moded 450D from UKI Astro Buy and Sell and have had no problems with it at all. Most people who are sell second hand moded Canons on that site have looked after them well and are only selling to upgrade to either a newer model Canon or a CCD.

I have a D7000 to complement my D200. A very capable camera, but I've yet to use it in anger for astro work.

From what I have done, noise and amp glow is well controlled. I use an intervolometer on mine and don't bother with PC connection.

I've got an old Nikkor 18-70 AF-S so I will be set for a while. But there is a Canon EOS 700D also ending soon around the same price but with 0 shutter actuations so I am stuck between the two. If I but the Canon I will need a lens which I currently can't afford :-(

A nice dilemma to have.

Personally speaking it doesn't seem beneficial to buy a body only if you can't afford a lens. Of course you might be happy to wait and can free funds selling your Nikon lenses, or borrow a canon lens.

The older 18-70 Nikor lenses aren't to be under estimated though. Mine, albeit being the 'kit lens' is quite sharp. Haven't tried it for AP though.

I've just ordered a 600D with the kit lens, which is about £100 cheaper than the 650D/700D in a similar kit.

From my investigations,

* The 600D, 650D and 700D all have essentially the same sensor, so no advantage in having the newer version for Astro imaging

* The 650D and 700D are almost identical - just some very minor changes

* The 650D/700D picked up a new 'better focus while shooting movies' feature and an updated kit lens over the 600D, along with a few other tweaks

* The Nikon 5200 may have a somewhat newer and more sensitive sensor than the Canons

* The software support for astrophotography seems better on the Canons

* The options for replacing the colour balance filter seem better understood and more widely available on the Canon cameras (commercial offerings - not doing *that* myself!!)

What that meant for me was that the 600D was the best option - the Nikon was out due to software and filter replacement uncertainties and the newer Canon models didn't have enough improvements to be worth the extra £££.

I'm planning on running the camera as is for 6 months or so and then having the filter replaced with the Baader one to get the boosted red sensitivity. I figure that means that if there are any problems with the camera it goes back under warranty with no quibbles, which would be more problematic if you've had the filter replaced from new. Most faults tend to appear with new kit or very old kit, so after 6 months or so of use it should be good to go for the filter replacement without too many worries.

Hope this is useful :)

Robin

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the input.

I will be using the camera for normal photography too so lenses are important but I can solve that by selling old lenses and buying new ones so not that much or a problem. I was planning on doing that anyway becasue I want a single focal lenght lens and one which covers a big spectrum for travel. I was planning on buying a nice 50mm and then an 18-200ish.

As to astro I will not convert it so this is not a problem right now but I do want the option to take photos remotely which Nikons of D5000 upwards do offer with Camera Control software. I think there are some other tethered shooting programs for studios by third party developers too but not sure how good any of these are for astro?

I know that for the D7000 it is possible to get a wifi transmitter but these are extremely expensive but some of the newer models D3200 and D5200 upwards offer the same option but with a much cheaper transmitter. Just in case anyone wanted to know.

Anyway I am kind of obsessed with a D7000 so I will try and get hold of a decent one second hand and see how I get on. I'll update everyone on my progress with buying the camera and also on how well it works for astro once I have it. May take a while since I last had the scope out two months ago.

Weather is fantastic outside so enjoy everyone!

Canons hold favour due to more readily available astro software to control from a PC. Having said that if you own lots of Nikon glass you may want to stick to Nikon.

BTW, I've edited your title as requested.

Thanks for advice and edit. ;-)

i recently bought a second hand Canon 500D from www.mpbphotographic.co.uk they have a wide range of second hands, was very good service received camera day later, was body only with a 6200 shutter count , came in original box with all cables & CD software, was mint condition looked better than my yr old nikon, got given tracking order to follow its progression to so was very impressed with them

you may of come across them already but thought id give my view as a buyer.

regards

john

Yeah seems ok but much better deals on eBay. I suppose if it a decent company it may be more reassuring buying from them. Bit problematic having a stock image and a text discription.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

haha i wish :D

i went through a online shop just for a bit more peace of mind as was a fair bit of money, use fleabay for smaller purchases thou. i wasnt expecting camera to be in as excellent condition as it was being 5yrs old an all, so was a pleasent suprise when opened box

they do tend to give a rating on the camera with regards to condition.

regards

john

+1 for www.mpbphotographic.co.uk. Got my 1100d from them. Good service and accurate description of condition. You may pay a bit more than ebay but at least you know it's from an established UK dealer. No, I don't work for them either!

Archived