Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LED street lighting

Blazar

"Residents will be consulted on any proposed change to lighting levels, the council said."

at least they are talking to the people that will be affected, the ones in my street were replaced without even telling us it would happen

yes that would be nice...so what is your verdict on them? are the beams directed straight down rather than all the light scattering?

The part night lighting scheme down here is pretty good, though there were the exceptions...one road opposite me is still 'allowed' to keep them on as they are not owned by Essex county council....though I bet as soon as they get hit with a large bill they might 'hand them over'....heres hoping anyway!

yes that would be nice...so what is your verdict on them? are the beams directed straight down rather than all the light scattering?

I moved into a new build house late last year and they have just been around to install the first part of the street lighting.

I now have a street light along the garden wall and whilst the light does point downward, it is in a cone so the light spreads into our garden. It is very strong, so once the light is on you cant stand out in the garden and look in the direction of the light at all. It also bleeds into the conservatory/kitchen area so badly that it looks like there is a light on in the conservatory.

I'm currently inquiring about having a rear shield put on it, even if I didn't own a telescope it makes it impossible to sit outside during the evenings. I'll post some pictures once the light comes on tonight.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Blazar for the heads up (even though it took me months to notice!!). I was wondering when it might happen - although there doesn't seem to have been any visible moves on consultation. However I know CCC and others sometimes run mystifyingly quiet consultations!!

Where I live on the edge of a small town the mist can roll in from the fields and quite thin amounts can cause an orange glow.  And even though we have more areas around the towns with little local light you still get a lot of glow spreading out from the towns so fingers crossed things improve (and without the localised effects some suffer from).

Cheers,

Joe

• 2 months later...

At the back of me there a couple of sodium lights, one of them really annoys me, earler this year the one closest to me 'went on the blink' (yay) and it did improve my observing (whether this was in my mind or not is up for debate), as i've read the article i thought that maybe it would not be repaired but replace....pfft it has and it now annoys me more than ever :angry:.

I moved into a new build house late last year and they have just been around to install the first part of the street lighting.

I now have a street light along the garden wall and whilst the light does point downward, it is in a cone so the light spreads into our garden. It is very strong, so once the light is on you cant stand out in the garden and look in the direction of the light at all. It also bleeds into the conservatory/kitchen area so badly that it looks like there is a light on in the conservatory.

I'm currently inquiring about having a rear shield put on it, even if I didn't own a telescope it makes it impossible to sit outside during the evenings. I'll post some pictures once the light comes on tonight.

Had the same problem here.The street light

they installed, was a lot taller.It was like

a search light, in the living room.Got on to

the council,& they installed a defuser,& a

shield on the light.What a difference.

Sometimes, it does pay to complain.

Steve

"Residents will be consulted on any proposed change to lighting levels, the council said."

at least they are talking to the people that will be affected, the ones in my street were replaced without even telling us it would happen

I too are having new street lighting installed in my street without public consultation by the local council. I phoned them on Thursday, (23.10.2014). The person whom I spoke to, told me that they will be full cut-off lights with auto-dim after midnight. I told him that if I am not a happy-bunny I would be complaining to him. He told me he would listen . One streetlight in particular was replaced about a year ago at the end of a footpath. I told him the reflection off a brick wall is a bit harsh. He said would look into getting it capped.. At last, some council lighting officers in England do listen to us and understand our concerns.

Archived