Astrononik Filter for Canon 500D

Hi All

After looking at the clip in filters for the canon, wanted to asked wot the best one to chose as they are quite pricy and have habit of getting it wrong, so i thought id ask advice before i purchase, its going on a 500D unmodded version, a bit of an all rounder would be ideal but also try to image DSO's, & the sun when i can

so any help be appreciated

regards

john

If it's a LP filter you're looking for I think the right one is the Astronomik CLS-CCD, but always worth talking it through with the supplier. I got one for my modded 1100d a few months ago and Zoltan at 365Astronomy pointed me in the right direction. Dead chuffed with it, makes a hell of a difference.

If it's a LP filter you're looking for I think the right one is the Astronomik CLS-CCD, but always worth talking it through with the supplier. I got one for my modded 1100d a few months ago and Zoltan at 365Astronomy pointed me in the right direction. Dead chuffed with it, makes a hell of a difference.

Just got one myself, nice filter, seems to do the trick with LP here.

First light was with my 60Da and a Sigma 150mm 2.8, target Gamma Cygni which was way down low in the murky LP.

sadr2.jpg

I recently brought the OIII filter for mainly Solar imaging, I have the idea that it may be useful on night time targets as well.

The UV/IR block one would be good on the Sun, maybe the go to filter for solar  but for night time I have no idea. I might of suggested the Ha 6nm if the camera was modded but at 300 Euro it's too much aimed at a modded camera.

I have the CLS too but hardly use it although they are good.

So maybe someone who has used the UV/IR or OIII for night work can comment on those.

thank you for all your replies, there is a bit of light pollution here but not to bad away from the north as heathrow that way, by the looks of it the CLS-CCD is the way to go as not really upto doing narrowband as yet

regards

john

Double check on the Astronomik site but I think the CCD version of the filters are for modded cameras. If your camera is not modded then you don't need to bother with the CCD one and save some cash.

Archived