Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sky Watcher 130 slow motion controls

I've just bought myself a second hand Sky Watcher 130 and I need a bit of advice on how best to use the slow motion controls.

One control is to the rear end of the scope so can be operated with your right hand as you're looking through the eyepiece.

The other controller however, is on the opposite side of the scope, meaning you have to reach under to try to make any adjustments, and you can't look through the eyepiece while doing so.

I've tried attaching some pictures, but I'm not sure I've done it right. If not, you can do a Google search for Sky Watcher 130 and select images, and you'll hopefully see what I mean.

What I want to know, is can I alter the EQ2 head so the slow motion controller can be accessible from the eyepiece side of the scope ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kev

post-5500-0-02625900-1399754081_thumb.jp

post-5500-0-22944800-1399754097_thumb.jp

I have the same scope and mount and never had a problem with using the RA slow motion knob. When I generally view the things I look at are East to west so once the mount has been polar aligned facing north my scope will be pointing about 180 degrees round so the slow motion knob should be on the eyepiece side ish. But if it is how you describe on the opposite side I can just about reach it or use the large silver geared knob wheel where the motor should go.

I don't have that problem any more as I've just bought a HEQ5 Pro mount.

Hope this helps.

Thanks SW130p.

As you've suggested, I now realised i can use the large silver knob which is on the eyepiece side, but I was hoping I could make some alterations so I could switch the proper slow motion controller over to the eyepiece side, but I don't want to start tinkering if it's not possible.

Thanks again.

Kev

kevthered......Hi, thats Weird but probably normal?  Can I suggest putting the longest adjuster the furthest away from you. and shortest to the rear.  Right or Left handed, you should be able to reach around easier,  It may even bend around  further allowing adjustment from the focuser side. 

Thanks Charic.

Both adjusters are identical in length, and it does appear to be normal, as I've seen many images on Google that show the 130 scope on the EQ2 set up exactly the same way.

Cheers.

Kev

Thats even worse?  My Celestron 127EQ had different lengths with specific instructions as to their placement! Like you, Ive searched the net, and there appears to be no way to change anything. You still have the silver dial/knob. 

You could try rotating  the OTA by loosening the straps,   and rotating until the  focuser sits on the other side, but the finder scope would be in the wrong position, That would require another finder (Telrad maybe?) to position above the focuser, or drill and refit the original,  but it may be disorientating operating on the wrong side, if you've been using it for a while already?

You could try rotating  the OTA by loosening the straps,   and rotating until the  focuser sits on the other side, but the finder scope would be in the wrong position, That would require another finder (Telrad maybe?) to position above the focuser, or drill and refit the original,  but it may be disorientating operating on the wrong side, if you've been using it for a while already?

I think I give this a go if I find using the silver dial too fiddly.

Thanks for all your advice.

Kev

Archived