Narrowband

BIG dob owners - who built your scope?

When I considered building mine I was warned against those thre prong mirror cells as being too flexible for a big mirror hence the built to a price comment earlier.

I was going to build my shell but a friend who is much better than me is doing one so he is now building two and I'm just grinding my mirror.when I build my next one I would like to build it all

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh and that scope looks just like the telescopetaurus one fro Poland that I enquired about a while back but transportation was about €400 so I left it.

Having just had a quick look at teleskopytaurus again I can see the similarities. This guy has however stated it would be £850 shipped to uk including gso ds focuser. I would rather buy from uk if possible just for ease of sorting things out should anything be wrong but suppliers in this country are few and far between :(

Sent from my GTi9300 using random spelling mistake generator!!!!

It has gone very quiet concerning Skywatcher's intended 18" and 20" truss dobsonians, although the prototype for the 18" had received some exposure and subsequent scrutiny / speculation, mainly on the Cloudy Nights forum a while back. Who knows, perhaps by this time next year it (or they) may well be into production.

A little bit of Googling has led me to the discovery that the Pawel I've been emailing is Pablito who started this thread: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/187568-a-new-22-dob-is-being-born/

@crashtestdummy I can kind of see the concern over the mirror cell but if it does flex unduely under the considerable load surely it could be reinforced fairly easily? Disc of ply added under the metal prongs or indeed instead of it would surely do the job wouldn't it?

yeah I remember his thread now.

I don't know about the reinforcing but you would have to do it in a way that avoids interfearing with the collimation knobs.i would want to cover the bottom anyway as there is a quite a sizeable gap between the mirror and the side of the box.this also allows dew to pass down the tube easily as there is a through current.I plan on blocking the bottom of mine up to stop this :)

Plettstone, Webster, Meade ( Sort of, I've modified it to death its just a Lightbridge shell ).

Wow! That Webster is huge!!! Which size is that?? Makes the other two look tiny in comparison.

I imagine living down under you've got the skies to make serious use of all that aperture.

To say I'm jealous is an understatement!

Ouch! Just got a quote from David Lukehurst for 20" scope body, no optics, moonlight cr2 and 10x50 finderscope. £2995 + delivery! Looks like Pawel's kit from poland may be my only affordable option!

I would rather buy from uk if possible just for ease of sorting things out should anything be wrong but suppliers in this country are few and far between :(

Yep I was a little concerned about this but courier companies are pretty cheap and quick within Europe these days, I wouldnt worry about it.

Yeah right I'd send £1000 to Poland after seeing the price difference too.......not.

David's price is what it is for a reason. £2000 cheaper from some guy in Poland. :eek: good luck with that "quality" scope you'll get. Probably be a pile of WBP ply, a handsaw and some plans with a note in polish saying, thanks very much and good luck with your build :D

Yeah right I'd send £1000 to Poland after seeing the price difference too.......not.

David's price is what it is for a reason. £2000 cheaper from some guy in Poland. :eek: good luck with that "quality" scope you'll get. Probably be a pile of WBP ply, a handsaw and some plans with a note in polish saying, thanks very much and good luck with your build :D

Cheers for that :) Believe me I am more than apprehensive to say the least. I had hoped someone would pop up saying "yeah I've got one of those, they're amazing" but I knew that was a really long shot.

I also know why David's scopes cost what they do. You're paying for a considerable amount of time, effort and skill that goes into a handmade to order item.

I'm just going to have to wait and see how much cash I have to spend and maybe I'll have to accept that a 20inch premium scope may be out of my reach :(

A telekit from astrosystems is likely to cost £2000 (or more once HMCustoms add their cut) although that does come with some top end accessories.

Maybe its time to start reading up on how to grind mirrors!

Somewhere in Poland there's a thread saying "2 grand more from some random guy in England" :grin: .

Dreadz - if you have the slightest concern over the design of your scope then make sure you've done your reading and agree the spec and price in advance with your chosen builder.

The Kriege & Berry book is very good, as is Albert Highe's. Either would be a sound investment before you commission a custom scope.

Good luck!

The Kriege & Berry book is very good, as is Albert Highe's. Either would be a sound investment before you commission a custom scope.

Good luck!

I think this is a great idea and something I'm going to get one day myself although not to build bigger scope just so I can learn more about them........awww who am I trying to kid.  :grin:

Dreadz have you took in consideration the weight of box on a 20" swampy is a big guy and he said he wouldn't even attempt to lift his. unless you have a van or plan on using it at home 100% of the time (which would be a waste) take the weight into consideration. i have, although i mainly observe with friends there are times i like to get out solo and for this reason i have opted for 18" which from looking at Calv's its probably just manageable for me, and it will fit in my car with a tent :D

Archived