Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

An Eye Full of Galaxies - Targets??

Paul73

Virgo has spoiled me. There was a time when catching one fuzzy in the eyepiece would have me in raptures. Now I need 2,3,4,5 of those little lovelies in one FOV.

Where do I go next? I'm Ok to about mag 12 in clusters from my garden.

Here's a few to kick things off.

- Virgo obviously - But any favourite views? The area within a degree of M86 (Markarian Chain) is special.

- Leo - fantastic. - the Triplet has to get a mention, M105 and its two close NGC Friends, the little gem of 3/4 NGCs between Algieba & Adhafera.

Any more for any more?

Paul

Above Leo triplet, between Zozma and Leo theta, you should be able to see NGC3607, 3608 and 2626, and the three fainter ones 3599. 3605 and 3632 should be in the same 1 degree FOV.

Also, about 1 degree north-west of M61, you have brighter NGCs 4281, 4273 and 4261, with more fainter ones in the 1 degree FOV.

NGC 7331 in Pegasus and if you can see the small surrounding galaxies (aka The Fleas) then you should be able to see nearby Stephans Quintet but I think you may struggle with those.

Coma Berenices.

http://www.topastronomer.com/StarCharts/Constellations/Coma-Berenices.php

More than enough to keep you very busy.

Nick.

Nick

Thanks for the link. Agreed Coma has got a bit of everything. Black Eye galaxy and M53 Globular are personal favourites.

Are there any single FOV groupings that particularly stand out for you?

"Fracfest"? Is this a spin off from the legendary DobFest?

Paul

sag/sco though you may have to travel. and while you're there, give the large and small magellanic clouds the once over ;)

Sorry, not really much help am I :D

My scope and I have got a trip to the Dorset coast planned in 2 weeks time. This'll be about as good as it gets for Sagittarius and Scorpio from the UK. So thanks for he tip.

Hoping for clear sky.

Paul

The southern hemisphere is stunning. Just the naked eye view of the LMC and SMC is awesome. If ever you get the chance to go there, bring along binoculars and gobsmacked is the word you will be looking for. The LMC in particular would not fit into the 4.4 deg FOV of my 15x70 bins. Your entire FOV is full of globulars and other DSOs like the Tarantula Nebula. Omega Centaurus and 47 Tucanae will redefine "globular cluster". Our Pleiades are better than the southern counterparts, however.

The southern hemisphere is stunning. Just the naked eye view of the LMC and SMC is awesome. If ever you get the chance to go there, bring along binoculars and gobsmacked is the word you will be looking for. The LMC in particular would not fit into the 4.4 deg FOV of my 15x70 bins. Your entire FOV is full of globulars and other DSOs like the Tarantula Nebula. Omega Centaurus and 47 Tucanae will redefine "globular cluster". Our Pleiades are better than the southern counterparts, however.

sniff sniff...you're making me homesick Michael ;)

I am making myself "home of my father" sick ;)

Might be in Indonesia in November, certainly want to pack the bins (first time down south for the Helios Apollo)

And there was me getting excited about a trip to Dorset for the Southern M's :(

Paul

Work related trip. I will get some time off.

And. you get paid for it!!!! It gets worse!!! :o

Lets hope for some clear sky and some exotic observing reports.

Not jealous at all....

Paul

Virgo has spoiled me. There was a time when catching one fuzzy in the eyepiece would have me in raptures. Now I need 2,3,4,5 of those little lovelies in one FOV.

Where do I go next? I'm Ok to about mag 12 in clusters from my garden.

Here's a few to kick things off.

- Virgo obviously - But any favourite views? The area within a degree of M86 (Markarian Chain) is special.

- Leo - fantastic. - the Triplet has to get a mention, M105 and its two close NGC Friends, the little gem of 3/4 NGCs between Algieba & Adhafera.

Any more for any more?

Paul

Paul.  Buy yourself an ethos or something with a 100 degree FOV, that will help your cause :grin:   Imagine the Markarian chain, just to wet the appetite what a 31mm modest SWA can bag from a good site in your scope. I assume the eyepiece used for the sketch is the 72 degree aspheric one, judging by the FOV.

http://www.deepskywatch.com/Astrosketches/markarian-virgo-cluster-sketch.html

Paul.  Buy yourself an ethos or something with a 100 degree FOV, that will help your cause :grin:   Imagine the Markarian chain, just to wet the appetite what a 31mm modest SWA can bag from a good site in your scope. I assume the eyepiece used for the sketch is the 72 degree aspheric one, judging by the FOV.

http://www.deepskywatch.com/Astrosketches/markarian-virgo-cluster-sketch.html

Ethos!!!! Alex. You are not a good influence.

I feel that it is inherently wrong to have an eyepiece that is worth more that the telescope.

Must get a bigger scope..... :)

So what Is your favourite "Eyeful of Galaxies" view with your kit?

Paul

You are right probably about the ethos, I wouldn't buy one for my scope right now so you are up my street :smiley: , but I can always try and get others try  test it for me and see their reaction   :evil6: but on a more serious note, I find the 68-70  degree eyewear fine and completely adequate for the equipment I have as well as the 60 degree items I own right now in terms of FOV.

As for the favourite,  it has to be the Markarian chain, though I have yet to experience it under good sky conditions, not so much as individual galaxies go, but for an eyeball full it is a feast,  it is like the open cluster star equivalent of galaxies.  :grin:

You are right probably about the ethos, I wouldn't buy one for my scope right now so you are up my street :smiley: , but I can always try and get others try  test it for me and see their reaction   :evil6: but on a more serious note, I find the 68-70  degree eyewear fine and completely adequate for the equipment I have as well as the 60 degree items I own right now in terms of FOV.

As for the favourite,  it has to be the Markarian chain, though I have yet to experience it under good sky conditions, not so much as individual galaxies go, but for an eyeball full it is a feast,  it is like the open cluster star equivalent of galaxies.  :grin:

Couldn't agree more. There can't be many finer sights.

I have yet to make it out of my back garden to a properly dark sky (it rains every time I try) :(. But I guess that bagging mag 12 to 13 galaxies from within spitting distance of the beer fridge makes me a lucky chap with no real right to complain :):):).

Paul

Markarian's Chain is fairly bonkers. I remember the first time seeing it and finding the first galaxy and then another and another and another until I came back inside with jaw ache from grinning too much for too long!

Just remembered. I spotted quite a few galaxies in the southern skies last year from Tuscany, many of which should be visible from southern England. Not nearly as concentrated as Markarian's Chain, but at least a couple of nice pairs amongst them. The reports are here:

All done with the trusty C8, so well within range of bigger scopes, I would guess.

Great reports Michael. Really enjoyed reading them. And, a host of new targets for those rare "clear to the horizon" nights.

Markarian's Chain is fairly bonkers. I remember the first time seeing it and finding the first galaxy and then another and another and another until I came back inside with jaw ache from grinning too much for too long!

Yes. The problem isn't so much finding galaxies. It is working out which is which!!

Paul

Archived