Narrowband

Dome On E-bay

laser_jock99

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not anti-dome, let me stress. I just would flag up the issues to anyone who hadn't considered all the variables or used a dome first hand. For instance, a key detail is, 'Does the aperture have enough width to let it clear the scope's line of sight after a meridian flip?' This is no small issue when you think about it.

Olly

If it is wide enough from one side of the pier, it's wide enough from the other. You might have to move it, manually or automatically, but you'll be doing that all night long anyway. The issue is that if you want to image and don't want to have to nudge the dome every 20 minutes, you'll have to pay up to automate it.

Automation solves the slot and meridian reversal problem.. POTH is definitely my friend, Maxim has quite cut this mustard I feel. But it is another layer of complexity yo might not want to contend with.

Mike

If it is wide enough from one side of the pier, it's wide enough from the other. You might have to move it, manually or automatically, but you'll be doing that all night long anyway. The issue is that if you want to image and don't want to have to nudge the dome every 20 minutes, you'll have to pay up to automate it.

Yes, I'm just pointing out the added complexity of re-synching a narrow slit after the flip. It can certainly be done. Not my favourite area of endeavour, though! (But some people love these challenges...)

Olly

Yup, never heard of one in all the time I've lived here - 28 years. Perhaps they happen, but it is not a regular occurrence.

Sorry to shatter your illusions, but they are an incredibly regular occurrence.  All the local free papers run the crime reports as a way of filling column inches on the cheap, and since I've been thinking of building an obsy I have been taking note.  Over the past year or so, there hasn't been a week without at least three shed break-ins just in this small patch of Essex.  (The ratio seems to be working out at about three shed break-ins : one burglary : 0.05 pensioner drives in to garden wall at 5mph).

Here's one a bit closer to you from a couple of weeks ago that proves people will nick just about anything if it isn't nailed down:

http://www.essexchronicle.co.uk/Guinea-pigs-stolen-family-s-Great-Waltham-garden/story-21034976-detail/story.html

I suspect your odds are slightly better in town since opportunists are more likely to be spotted and less likely to take a risk, whereas out in the sticks they tend to be a bit bolder (someone took my large metal garden gate of its hinges in broad daylight, presumably for scrap).

Personally I like a dome. I've not automated mine yet but I've found the freedom it gives me the speed of access , setup and the extended use have made a huge difference to maximising my enjoyment. Sure you can get these benefits from a ROR but I've seen many of those that look Heath Robinson designed them. Hardly aesthetically pleasing and just as big a target to the light fingered fraternity. Any shed especially any that looks cared for or has had time and energy put into it will attract people desirous to access the contents

Getting back to the thread the dome looks a great price compared to full height solutions from pulsar and others and with options to automate to get over issues described here including meridian flips it would be a better option and cheaper than most. Ok there is always someone who built there own for a few hindered but if you try and spec a shed properely constructed to withstand the British weather buying the materials all at consumer prices you'd find it hard to come under £1800 IMHO

Lol that's why I bought a ready made one :) don't get me wrong I've seem some really good ROR ones but my point was they attract as much attention as a dome

Basically, I just took the easiest way and built a shed with roll off roof.  This can be left with scope and imaging system running automatically overnight while I catch my beauty sleep (OK, don't bother to tell me it's not working :D)  The only things that need remote control are the mount, filter wheel and camera.  No heavy duty engineering to rotate a dome to accurately follow a telescope accross the sky.  Having said that, I do intend to motorise my roll off roof in time.  I like working in wood and although wood can be persuaded to take up a curved shape, it's not easy.

I agree that a dome looks "the business" but I didn't think it was practical personally.  If I'd had the money I might have just bought one, complete with all the rotation and slit opening/closing automation.  OTOH I like my shed, particularly with both scope and warm rooms - keeps the house a bit tidier.  I was a mammoth task for me though I have to agree :D

Getting back to the thread the dome looks a great price compared to full height solutions from pulsar and others and with options to automate to get over issues described here including meridian flips it would be a better option and cheaper than most. Ok there is always someone who built there own for a few hindered but if you try and spec a shed properely constructed to withstand the British weather buying the materials all at consumer prices you'd find it hard to come under £1800 IMHO

My plastic shed with ROR is fully weather proof, I think last winter proved that, been up a few years now, just recently power washed it, cost about £600.00, only  6ft x 6ft though.:)

Dave

Hi Dave your obviously not counting your own time and effort and if you list out everything used at full market cost which most people have to pay I still think it's can't be done for £1800

Archived