SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dome On E-bay

laser_jock99

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Gina, I know the post in the UK has changed but 400 quid! I think hire of a van and go get it would be somewhat cheaper.

Alan

"Home Observ Ltd is a family run business based in Northern Ireland born out of a passion for star gazing and astonomy."

Might not be so simple to hire a van and drive to N. Ireland!!

However, looking at their site - if you want just a dome, it is £1200 for a 2.2m, or £1,800 for the full thing. So that is not bad at all. They also do a 3m version.

They even allow you to choose the colour of your building :D

If you were to drive from Manchester to Cairnryan =3.5hrs on a good run. Return ferry crossing with Stena is £230 unless you get one at stupid o'clock in the morning where it will be slightly cheaper. Ferry takes 2hrs 20mins to get to Belfast. Once on the other side it will be 2hr drive to Enniskillen.  So if you were to set off from Manchester at 10am you would arrive around about 1900hrs.You then need a hotel for the night, unless you get the 23oohrs boat back and drive thru the night and arrive back at Manchester around 0400 the next day. £400 does seem steep but it is not ridiculous.

Ian

But what, exactly, is the advantage of a dome? Good for excluding stray light, certainly, and good in the wind. But, unless they are synchronized and driven to follow the mount, and are also synchronized to cope with the change of scope position after a meridian flip, they are a nightmare for imaging. For visual observers, trying to navigate through a slit is another nightmare. So don't rush into buying a dome until you are aware of all the issues and are still dead sure that you want one. Personally I know that I absolutely do not want one and will continue to use roll offs, of which I currently have five on the property with every risk of seeing a couple more pop up in the near future!!!

Olly

Hi Olly,

I totally agree with you. I find it hard to get my head around using a dome and peering through a slit. It also precludes you from actually see the night sky, well 90% of it anyway. I also do not like the fact that it advertises what is actually inside - very expensive equipment!

Ian

But what, exactly, is the advantage of a dome? Good for excluding stray light, certainly, and good in the wind. But, unless they are synchronized and driven to follow the mount, and are also synchronized to cope with the change of scope position after a meridian flip, they are a nightmare for imaging. For visual observers, trying to navigate through a slit is another nightmare. So don't rush into buying a dome until you are aware of all the issues and are still dead sure that you want one. Personally I know that I absolutely do not want one and will continue to use roll offs, of which I currently have five on the property with every risk of seeing a couple more pop up in the near future!!!

Olly

I totally understand and agree with everything you say Olly, but, in my highly considered and technically sophisticated opinion.... they just look nice and pretty :-).

There is just something about a dome that looks like a proper observatory, in the same way that a refractor looks like a proper telescope.......

.........should I start running away yet? ;-)

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally understand and agree with everything you say Olly, but, in my highly considered and technically sophisticated opinion.... they just look nice and pretty :-).

There is just something about a dome that looks like a proper observatory, in the same way that a refractor looks like a proper telescope.......

Stu

Heh heh, I can't argue with this! I entirely agree.  :grin:

Olly

But what, exactly, is the advantage of a dome? Good for excluding stray light, certainly, and good in the wind

Olly

of which we have them both in abundance in the UK. personally, i'd be happy with any sort of permanent setup but that just isn't going to happen.

I used to think that one plus point of a ROR observatory was that it would be less conspicuous than a dome from a security point of view but I'm not so sure anymore.  A while ago we had a carpet fitter in - he took a look out of the window at the observatory and said "Hmm that's no ordinary shed, what's in there then?"

I'd prefer a dome to a roll off. I don't think astro crime is that big. After all, most people leave nice stuff in their garage or shed, most of the times unlocked or a simple padlock. Not a crime wave of garage robberies.

I've left my telescope out the front for hours unattended. Nothing has ever gone walkies. I'd like to see the average thief who came walking, looking to take cash or jewellery trying to run off with a large dob and mount!! :D

I'd prefer a dome to a roll off. I don't think astro crime is that big. After all, most people leave nice stuff in their garage or shed, most of the times unlocked or a simple padlock. Not a crime wave of garage robberies.

I've left my telescope out the front for hours unattended. Nothing has ever gone walkies. I'd like to see the average thief who came walking, looking to take cash or jewellery trying to run off with a large dob and mount!! :D

Really?

A member on here did nip in for a cuppa and go out to find stuff stolen from his rig, though. Also shed and garage theft is pretty common, alas.

I'm not anti-dome, let me stress. I just would flag up the issues to anyone who hadn't considered all the variables or used a dome first hand. For instance, a key detail is, 'Does the aperture have enough width to let it clear the scope's line of sight after a meridian flip?' This is no small issue when you think about it.

Olly

Yup, never heard of one in all the time I've lived here - 28 years. Perhaps they happen, but it is not a regular occurrence.

sorry, when you said "most people" I assumed you were talking in general and not just your area...my mistake

Olly

Stu

I agree with both of you except for that bit of obvious nonsense about refrators :evil6:

As one that built my own domed observatory years ago I can safely say, yes they look nicer than an old shed with a run off roof (and they are certainly great fun to build) but alas everything Olly says is true. they are simply awful things to use. specially as a visual observer.

I dont have an observatory now and TBH dont think I will bother in the future. I prefer to be outside completeley, so maybe a dob deck at some point in the future but that'll be about it.

Stu

But do you look like a proper astronomer  :grin:

Dave

But do you look like a proper astronomer :grin:

Dave

Of course, just check my avatar out.....

.......don't all astronomers look like a jar full of pasta wearing a fur hat, sunglasses and the all important red head torch? ;-)

Stu

Yeah, I'd spotted these on eBay and were quite interested. Some very valid points in this thread though and plenty to consider for a potential observatory build in the near future.

(Domes do look cool though!)

I tend to feel that with a dome I have both - I'm outside for longer and have more protection. Occasionally slit viewing makes itharder to visually orient but not really. I had a lot of fun getting mine to track the telescope and I when its all fitted (its down for replacement currently) it just works.

I'm currently looking for a new obbo, it will be a dome because I haven't the space for the roof to go to. I also prefer the protection and being able to view down to the horizon. My pillar is quite tall for my refractor and cass.

Horses for courses of course.

Mike

Archived