Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting in to astrophotography - Which DSLR?

Mark_C

Hello all,

I am looking to get in to astrophotography and thought that I would start off with a DSLR and then perhaps move to a CCD once I've gained the experience (and money!) I've been having a look around at various different options and at the moment it's a weigh up between the 600D and the 60D. The latter of course has a number of features that improve on the 600d such as movie crop mode (good for planetary imaging from what I've seen) as well as better a autofocus system and no doubt other features which I am unaware of, although it is a couple of 100 grams heavier than the 600D. 

My intention is to get the camera astro modified and to have a Baader filter replacement to allow for daytime photography too, so essentially it will be a multi purpose camera.

I can get a refurbished 600D for £280 or for £80 more a 60D.

Is it worth paying the extra cash to get a 60D?

Thanks.

No specific advice on the cameras themselves, but I always try to pick the better alternative even if it's more expensive. If you aim too low you might end up spending more cash sooner because you want that upgrade. Especially if it's going to be an allround camera and not just for AP.

I have both cameras. They have identical pixel configurations and a flip out screen. Yes, true movie crop mode is a bonus for planetary. The 600D is slightly more modern but the 60D has more features. The OS is the same on both. My 60D came with a mains adaptor and the battery is beefier. Weight difference is not noticeable. If the difference is only £80 I would go with the 60D.

If you decide on the 600D have a think about the 650D...the touch screen really helps when checking focus and reviewing images.

I have been using one for the past week and it really makes life a lot easier. The flip out screen of all the models listed already makes life easier but the touch screen allows you to only fumble in the dark looking for 3 easily locatable buttons (Review, Liveview and Info), no fiddling with buttons at funny angles for changing ISO, zooming, scrolling, aperture, shutter etc. Pinch zoom and scrolling to check corners... really is a great feature.

I paid £300 off fleabay for my 650D and it only had 4k clicks on it.

Thanks for all of the responses, they have been most helpful in making a decision.

I think I'm now aiming towards the 60D as it seems to tick all of the boxes. :)

Can I ask where from?

I can get a refurbished 600D for £280 or for £80 more a 60D.

Sorry, just noticed your post!

There is a seller on eBay under the name of "photodirect" that is selling both cameras for the mentioned price.

As the 60D will be refurbished, I'm not really sure what the condition of these cameras are or what the shutter count will be. It seems they've shifted quite a number of them so looks promising.

Don't underestimate the benefits of the "crop" video mode on the 60D (or the 550D) using 4.3um pixels at 50 fps, it's as good as a lot of bespoke planetary cameras plus it's far easier to align with the full 20mP image area available.

Don't underestimate the benefits of the "crop" video mode on the 60D (or the 550D) using 4.3um pixels at 50 fps, it's as good as a lot of bespoke planetary cameras plus it's far easier to align with the full 20mP image area available.

This is what has attracted me to the 60D. :)

The fact that it can be used to image DSOs and the planets, as well as be used as a normal camera makes it a very practical solution without breaking the bank. Of course, having separate devices to cater for each of these scenarios would be the ideal solution but it is expensive and for me a little excessive considering I've had no prior experience with imaging.

This is what has attracted me to the 60D. :)

The fact that it can be used to image DSOs and the planets, as well as be used as a normal camera makes it a very practical solution without breaking the bank. Of course, having separate devices to cater for each of these scenarios would be the ideal solution but it is expensive and for me a little excessive considering I've had no prior experience with imaging.

There are two excellent CD books by Jerry Lodriguss that explain just about eveything about imaging with DSLRs.

Anyone that intends on using any DSLR should read these books, well worth the money and will save a lot of time faffing around.

They are excellent value now with the £ at around $1.7

Planetary Imaging

and

DSO Imaging

I have got a 1000d but not yet tried it out due to poor skies complete cloud cover for the last three weeks....

Yes same here, really frustrating. :( I'm really eager to try my new 120ED and AZ EQ6 GT mount but because of the weather it has been collecting dust in the conservatory. :(

There are two excellent CD books by Jerry Lodriguss that explain just about eveything about imaging with DSLRs.

Anyone that intends on using any DSLR should read these books, well worth the money and will save a lot of time faffing around.

They are excellent value now with the £ at around $1.7

Planetary Imaging

and

DSO Imaging

Thanks! I'll have a look in to buying those books, they look like they'll be a great help for when I get a DSLR..

Hi

Been into astronomy for a couple of years and now got the astrophotography bug.

Also deciding between a 600d and 60d

Am I right in saying that I can do planetary imaging without a laptop with the 60d? This would be a big advantage to me as my laptop battery is dead and I have to use an extension for webcam imaging at the moment

Are the mov files convertible to avi using virtualdub?

Any advice would be appreciated

Ps Love the forum. Has helped me a lot since starting this hobby

Hi

Been into astronomy for a couple of years and now got the astrophotography bug.

Also deciding between a 600d and 60d

Am I right in saying that I can do planetary imaging without a laptop with the 60d? This would be a big advantage to me as my laptop battery is dead and I have to use an extension for webcam imaging at the moment

Are the mov files convertible to avi using virtualdub?

Any advice would be appreciated

Ps Love the forum. Has helped me a lot since starting this hobby

I am fairly certain that you can use the camera for planetary imaging without use of a laptop, as the footage will save to SD card, however obtaining decent focus may be made more difficult without use of Live View connected to a computer.

My choice has now shifted from which DSLR I should buy to whether or not I should go down the CCD route instead. So many choices and so many ways to clear out my bank balance, it's difficult to know what to do! :)

Mark_c, i've recently had a similar internal debate. I'm not keen on venturing down the guiding route just yet and i'm happy with 30-120 second subs (if i can achieve that with various telescopes). My canon 6d has a pretty good quantum efficiency (50%) but is hindered probably by the bayer matrix. I investigated if a colour ccd would give me slightly better data acquisition over relatively short unguided subs (colour again as i can't be bothered [yet] with filters). I think there would be little in it for me, plus i would have to use my laptop, and power the ccd. So my conclusion is to stick with what i've got for now. If i manage to eventually guide and want cooled images i may re-evaluate. I am very realistic about the quality of the images i will achieve and the limitation placed on the targets i can pick. But i'm not going for astro photographer of the year, just for some nice-ish images for myself and for facebook friends.

Jd

Archived