6mm ethos v,s 6mm delos

Mike,

Never use them any other way but then I do not have a stray light problem and eye placing is only practice.

Last night I was doing some work on the 3.5mm clash of the titans from TV (Delos) and Pentax (XW), it was the Pentax that was giving me problems and this is only because it is not mine and I am not used to it yet.

Alan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone use Ethos with the eyecups folded down?

Not the Ethos but I did do that with the ES 20mm 100 as it's eye relief is just a little tighter than the Ethos. I can see the field stop edges, just about, with the eye cups up on my Ethos eyepieces. Not that I want to see the field stop of course ........ the whole point for me is to create the "endless sea of stars" effect  :grin:

Incidentally, I've now got a William Optics XWA 101 degree 9mm and the Skywatcher Myriad 9mm 100 degree eyepieces on loan from First Light Optics to test. They look identical but I was interested to see whether their performance is identical as well. I'll also see how they measure up to my 8mm Ethos. The Myriad costs around half as much as the Ethos.

Not the Ethos but I did do that with the ES 20mm 100 as it's eye relief is just a little tighter than the Ethos. I can see the field stop edges, just about, with the eye cups up on my Ethos eyepieces. Not that I want to see the field stop of course ........ the whole point for me is to create the "endless sea of stars" effect  :grin:

Incidentally, I've now got a William Optics XWA 101 degree 9mm and the Skywatcher Myriad 9mm 100 degree eyepieces on loan from First Light Optics to test. They look identical but I was interested to see whether their performance is identical as well. I'll also see how they measure up to my 8mm Ethos. The Myriad costs around half as much as the Ethos.

and the sw looks lovely,if its anything like the nirvana it will be great.

i have now bought a 13mm ethos, so im going to see how this works without a coma corrector, if its poor then i will get the sips system for my feathertouch, if its ok i will get the 6mm ethos next. dont think coma will be to bad with the 13mm as its not to bad with the 31mm t5. heres hoping :smiley:  

Not that I want to see the field stop of course ........ the whole point for me is to create the "endless sea of stars" effect  :grin:

I guess that makes me a field stop junky :grin:  I guess all the paintings hanging on your walls got no frames, I like mine with frames.

I had a very quite test of the Leica last night and theres no way I'm going frameless after that. :)

On a more serious note, I don't know to be honest if I ever would get the wide field bug in the long run , yes I do like field stops and seeing it clearly, but never tried anything wider than 70 so far, I find that 68 degrees of the MVs and 70 very nice I admit, feels just right. The pentax especially on planets with the moons and that bit of extra space I admit it adds something, it's nice, but when I go back to 60 degrees I don't miss it or feel that the extra 8 - 10 degrees ever gave me the feeling I want/need more of it so far, it is nice to have that bit of variety though having a some 60s, a 65 and a 70 and a 42 myself.

The 5mm BGO is about the limit though and will use it in the right mood.  I admit to having barlowed my pentax 10.5 to give me a similar mag, it is very nice and relaxing to go from 42 to 65 all of a sudden.  That said after buying a 70 degree pentax I just added another 60 degree Radian. If my heart really told me I wanted FOV  I would not have done so and saved my pennies for a nagler perhaps.

I rather maintain the quality of view as first priority at narrower FOV if I were to spend the same money on something wider angle to only find a mush around the edges. :evil:  Perhaps In years to come I'll join the swimming club and sing that tune as well :grin:

I really like my 13mm Ethos and do indeed use it with the cup folded down - in fact I never use it with the cup folded up. I get the impression of seeing the whole field but with averted vision i.e. I look at the centre of field to see it all. personally, other than field (and a slight darkening of the sky due to increased magnification of the 13mm) I can see no difference between e.g. my 16mm T2 Nagler and my 13mm Ethos. I am in fact considering selling my 13mm Ethos after I get a 12mm T2 Nagler (if I can find one) and the balance towards my Lunt 50 fund. I am pretty sure I'll not feel like I am losing out.

my long and winding point being that at this quality level differences are more often than not ergonomic/stylistic rather than quality based.

I now have a mix of 68-72 deg EPs and 82 deg EPs, and really like them. The Lunt's 50-42 deg FOV is a bit cramped, which can be an issue even on the sun. For DSO viewing, I compared the 68deg 24mm MaxVision with the 22T4, and must say the extra FOV is really. I would love to have 100 deg FOV, but the eye relief is just too tight for me.

Same for me. While I can see the entire fov without moving my head I have no interest in seeing the field stop, love to see stars extending into my peripheral vision. In a discussion with Al Nagler comparing the Delos with the Ethos he said the image should be the same (not including fov) except the Delos goes a little bit deeper because it is a simpler design. Not sure the difference will be visible since it takes at least an 8% difference in brightness for our visual system to perceive it as being brighter.

I guess that makes me a field stop junky :grin:  I guess all the paintings hanging on your walls got no frames, I like mine with frames.

I like my pictures presented differently from the way I like my experience of space :smiley:

The views through my scope are "live" and created by me in the way I select my viewing tools whereas pictures are representations of something through other peoples eyes.

If you go into a room with a picture window with a fantastic view through it do you hang back 10-20 feet so you can see more of the wall and window frame or do you move closer to the window to take in as much of the view as possible ?. I think most peoples inclination would be the latter.

It's all down to personal preference of course and today we have an array of great quality tools to allow you to get the effect that you want  :smiley:

How would you like your Universe served tonight sir ?  :grin:

Just a little bit of an observation that may be of interest. I had the Ethos's out last night, the lot. Somewhere back in the thread we were talking about how much we could see within one of these eyepieces, I can see the field stop on all of the range I have apart from the 21mm, on this I can't. Don't loose too much sleep over this.

This is only the thrid time the big boy has seen light, Fantastic on the Moon with the 180mm Mak.

Alan

The moon through these extreme wide field EPs can be just gobsmackingly gorgeous. My first UWA was the Meade S5K 14mm (early series, apparently better). Seeing the whole moon at 145x was just awesome, especially when you realize that equates roughly to the naked-eye view seen from Apollo 8 when it had approached moon at a distance of 2,650 km (roughly). The Ethos could better that, I do not doubt

The moon through these extreme wide field EPs can be just gobsmackingly gorgeous. My first UWA was the Meade S5K 14mm (early series, apparently better). Seeing the whole moon at 145x was just awesome, especially when you realize that equates roughly to the naked-eye view seen from Apollo 8 when it had approached moon at a distance of 2,650 km (roughly). The Ethos could better that, I do not doubt

I believe thats exactly the experience that Al Nagler wanted the high power Ethos SX 4.7mm and 3.7mm to capture. They deliver 110 degree AFoV's which apparently matches the view that the lunar landing simulator that he worked on for NASA delivered.

I will let you know when I get one, I want the 4.7mm but I doubt I will get across to England this year. It may have to come from TS, I sort of think the view with the 115mm at about X170 will be mindblowing, not that I have one to blow these days.

Alan.

How about a 100 degrees zoom eyepiece, it would be like watching a landing on the moon through a spaceship window while you zoom in, Now that is something I would like to try and see. :smiley:

How about a 100 degrees zoom eyepiece, it would be like watching a landing on the moon through a spaceship window while you zoom in, Now that is something I would like to try and see. :smiley:

The Leica is pretty fun for that, I slowly zoomed in on M92 the other night and felt like I was on Star Trek!  :grin:

I believe thats exactly the experience that Al Nagler wanted the high power Ethos SX 4.7mm and 3.7mm to capture. They deliver 110 degree AFoV's which apparently matches the view that the lunar landing simulator that he worked on for NASA delivered.

One of these Ethos is on my for sure list,just for this experience

Alex,

I should think it is doable but the edge correction may well be a bit ify and it may also weigh a fair bit. Antares made two zooms that held 82 degrees for the full range. I had the 8mm-5mm and it really was rather good apart from the very edge. They seem to have stopped making them as of about two years ago. There was a 12mm- 8mm as well, both were about 300 euros. Don't see too many about but I got mine here S/H can you believe.

Alan.

The price of the Ethos line has dropped a bit.The Pound is so strong now too making $578.00USD look (eyepiecesetc) very attractive.

I better quit talking about the Ethos or I'll click the button... :evil::grin:

just do it gerry, especially with your skys

Get that big Obsession first Gerry.  :headbang:

I'm trying to hold off on the bigger refractor and eyepiece purchases.... :shocked:  I need support just like this during moments of weakness. :grin: but I really want to fly over the moon too :cool2:

Archived