Packing up for the summer............??

This far North we dont have any real darkness now for 10 - 12 weeks so I have packed up my gear and put it in a warm dry cupboard. 

I have kept my camera and tripod handy for any widefield occasions that present themselves.

Do most people do this ????  I only started at this game last November and I hadnt realised its probably a seasonal thing.

Any tips for storage to make sure nothing nasty happens to my precious optics ???? Its all in a warm dry airy cupboard - lids off the plastic boxes where moisture could lurk etc.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Billy you've put into words what I didn't want to admit. I guess it is time to expect little use of my 'scope.

I was sort of lulling myself along with a vague thought of getting out of bed around 2.30-3am and grabbing an hour so at the eyepiece when I could. But having tried that once last week I found that even by 4am it's too light. And, of course, that will only get worse.

Ah well, it's back to the books - or, perhaps, a solar filter. Hmmm, now, let me think about that ...

Have a happy summer, whatever.

Buy buy buy :D I try and get the most out of the light nights camping in Wales with the scope and family. if its clear I hunt down globs. It must suck not getting any astronomy in over summer!

Heya

Well skiing season is definitely over  :smiley: .

Up here at 59°N its almost seasons end. Maybe I can still get a glimpse of Mars and Saturn next week.

Saturn will be very low for the next 8 yrs so I kinda hoped to observe it a few more times this year.

My season starts again in September, hopefully I can tick of Uranus ans Neptune then...

Rune

It's a bit different if you are that far north, but from my location ( Essex ) I don't stop observing in the summer, planets & double stars can be well seen even if it's not fully dark, and of course the moon.

Even around  mid June, deep sky is not too bad from around 23.30 BST.

There's always solar observing of course, to keep you going through the summer ( if you have the proper safe kit of course )

Whatever you do, have a nice summer, Ed.

Here I have not had a clear night since the 14th April and no sign of one this week. I might as well pack up for all the observing I can do!

Want to try 1 more imaging session on Mars if I get the chance and then pack up until August. I hope that everyone has a good Summer.

Peter

Hi all

Well I'm not packing up! There should still be some darkness, but failing that I'd like to have a go at solar - if I can get some safety film. Seems to be hard to get hold of... I suppose there's a lot of demand for it now.

Louise

Well star clusters ill still show up well, and some NB work might be worthwhile. The only things definitely out are faint nebulae. It is also a good time to experiment with your rig. I have a lot of ideas to try out which I'd prefer not to waste a pristine dark sky on.

ChrisH

Well star clusters ill still show up well, and some NB work might be worthwhile. The only things definitely out are faint nebulae. It is also a good time to experiment with your rig. I have a lot of ideas to try out which I'd prefer not to waste a pristine dark sky on.

ChrisH

Yeah, I just added the coma corrector and lp filter but not yet had clear skies to try them out :(  Also expecting delivery of a pedestal mount not to mention a mono camera, lol.

Depending on the state of it, I might attempt to do some sort of claw mod:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/215210-heq5-polar-alignment-routine-inconsistency/

In any case, I'll still be around SGL :)

Louise

One little tip for storage of equipment is to make sure any power tanks are topped up occasionally. Some will 'leak' power over time, and may reach a point where they become useless. A quick check every three weeks or so may save you having to replace a battery pack.

Hope that helps,

Martin.

I just got my HEQ5 so wont be stopping yet. I'm keeping busy by tinkering with bits a pieces and building up my equipment ready for the winter,only been doing astronomy since xmas. 

whats "summer"?  :sad:

under all this cloud and rain its hard to keep up with seasons whats changing and where!

been a total wipeout at winter with gales and rain so no chance of viewing anything,now i hear its summer..jeez...already?

as i look out at the torrential rain i wonder if its december again :shocked:

summer is not a time for packing up your kit,just adapting,tp whats on view.you have the planets,old crater face{moon}.the summer triangle,meteor showers.to name but a few,then if we do get long hot summer days,you could invest in a solar filter,and observe,our nearest star.

Good luck to those of you going all year round - I have a yacht charter business which on the West Coast of Scotland is a very short but very intense season so realistically it works for me having a break from astronomy during the peak season as I will be too jiggered to be staying up late/getting up early etc. 

I can also indulge my 'other' hobby - radio control model aircraft - saying that guarantees strong winds and rain............ but al least its warm rain and wind in the Summer !!

Over the Summer I will be researching which mono ccd, USB filter wheel and filters to buy ready for the late Summer/early autumn dark nights returning.

But I will still be a daily visitor to this fascinating forum.

Archived