SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Beginning Spectroscopy

Hello,

I am looking to getting into spectroscopy and was wondering if anyone had knowledge about spectroscopes, i.e. can you purchase them or build them from parts?  Also, are there books and resources available to get into spectroscopy?  Are spectroscopes only analogue or can you upload the data?  As for my scope as a reference, I have a Skywatcher 200 on an HEQ5.  I would greatly appreciate any answers you can give me relating to what I need to get started so I may expand my understanding of the universe.

Best,

Jackstay

Jackstay,

I'd suggest reading through the earlier messages on this spectroscopy section - there are recommendations for various books etc.

The easiest way to start - "Spectroscopy 101" is with a transmission grating - the Rainbow Optics or either of the Star Analyser gratings.

All astronomical spectroscopes require a "good" camera to record the spectral image - the usual recommendation is a mono cooled CCD - ATik 314L or similar.

Obviously you can make a start with what ever equipment you have and work your way up the food chain....

(Over on the  astronomical spectroscopy Y! group we have details of various DIY slit spectroscopes and other mods...)

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/astronomical_spectroscopy/info

Processing the spectral image to prepare a calibrated 1D profile for further analysis can be done with various free software (BASS Project, ISIS, VSpec). Tom Field also has a commercial package "RSpec"

Hope this helps.

Hi Jackstay,

Welcome to this forum.

It's a bit quiet at the moment. My first time here in ages (but I have been distracted by a 10" SCT renovation project)

Anyway, back to topic. You can make a start in spectroscopy with very limited equipment. Your 8" Newtonian and HEQ5 mount are capable, (I used my 8" newt with my own DIY spectroscopes). I totally concur with Ken about starting with a Star Analyser type 1.25" transmission grating (about £100+?). You don't need a CCD yet. A mono guide camera like a QHY5 will work fine with a 1.25" grating. Failing that a web cam or even security cam can be used to start with, (generally mono is better for capturing spectra). A DSLR will probably have issues getting back-focus with an 8" newt.

Spectroscopes come in different resolutions and costs (alas none are 'cheap').  It is possible to make your own spectrometer at a lower cost if you have a DIY inclination (and a lot of patience).

Best of luck.

regards

John

Thank you very much for the information.  Does anyone have plans for a spectroscope and if not, where can you purchase them?  Is there an assembly procedure that anyone knows about?  Any information would be useful.

Best,

Jackstay

Archived