Another noob, S Yorks

Landgirl

Hi everybody

I've always been someone who looks up and I often nip out into the back garden to wave at the ISS (they never wave back. Rude.)

Now, with the financial help of some family who are grateful not to have to think what to get me for my birthday, I have bought 'Alan'*, my Skywatcher 150 reflector, as my starter scope and, in my first outing 2 nights ago, there were enough gaps in the cloud to see a lovely crescent moon, then Jupiter and 3 moons and finally Mars, before the clouds got me.

It was a nice start and a chance to get used to handling everything. I haven't really got my head round the RA and Dec setting circles yet, as the Skywatcher manual is not clear at all, IMHO. I've read that the circles on the EQ3-2 aren't all that useful, so perhaps that needn't be a priority, although I'd like to solve their mysteries eventually. I think one of my main aims is to get a couple of better eyepieces before too long and then improve my knowledge of moving around the sky.

Anyway, hello everybody. Lurking, as I have been, for a few days, I've been impressed by what a friendly place this is. LG

* I don't normally name inanimate objects, but it's in honour of a very sick friend.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks oldpink.

Floater, thank you, if you have any suggestions for eyepiece improvements I'm all ears (and eyes :-). I know this can be quite a personal decision and depends on age/eyesight and various other factors, but I'm still interested in any input.

Hi and welcome to SGL - I'm a non visual girl I'm afraid, so can't really help you much. Stellarium is a good programme to download to give you a good idea of where stuff is. Give it a go.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Hi and welcome to the forum. It's an interesting idea naming a scope. I have a few names for my scopes, especially when I can't get them to sit on the mount properly!

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

p.s Hope your friend is able to recover and feel more comfortable soon.

Hi and welcome to the lounge,

hope you enjoy you time here in S G L, and I hope you

enjoy your time with Alan, it's a good choice of scope.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hi and Welcome to SGL, The friendliest and Best place,when your starting on your Stargazing Journey.

And can I also Thank You for naming your Scope after me. :)

Clear Skies

Tums. (Alan).

Welcome, Sheffield lad myself so pretty local to you. New here also and yes it is a very friendly and knowledgeable forum.

Only been using bins so far but am hopefully picking up a 150P also on Wednesday.

Good luck with it all

Sent from Lumia 925 via Tapatalk

Hi Landgirl and welcome to SGL. The supplied mount setting circles, if you consider that each degree division has to be divided by 60 then 60 again to cover mins and seconds of arc to be able to locate the position of stars from star tables, you will find like most, that it is impossible. That does not mean to say that by using just the degrees, you could get somewhere in the ball park area as they say. It is a lovely scope the 150mm, enjoy Alan and your Astronomy :)

Archived