Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

long_arms

Deep sky with ASI120MM

Hello, 

SW200p f/5 on a Heq5. ASI120MM. 

M57 luminance. So far its around 90 minutes in mainly 10 second subs. Some 14 second ones. Unguided. Just darks. Just some adjustments in DSS and cropped.

Already got R+G for this. Loads of time over the summer to get B and more data generally. 

post-26081-0-26402600-1399210611_thumb.p

M13. 29 minutes in 9 seconds subs. Taken back in March so going to keep adding to this for fun. Unguided with darks. 

post-26081-0-72136200-1399210811_thumb.p

Pleasantly surprised how well this camera does when you start to stack. I know taking loads of 9,10, 14 sec subs is strange and I will go longer. But its actually quite enjoyable this way, less stress. Bit of wind ruining a sub is only 10 seconds lost. 

All comments and criticism really appreciated! 

Thanks, 

Dan

• Like 3

I like them a lot, I wrote to the designer of the camera last year asking if they would be bringing a cooled version of the camera out and had a reply that they were working on it as sealing and protecting the circuits inside will add quite  a bit to the cost of the camera . I also think that unless you have a very long FL scope thenthe only way of getting a decent scale on M57 is to use what have here and with great results, you just need a lot of subs with this camera and I mean a lot but it is great fun.

Regards,

A.G

Excellent, I wouldn't have expected such a good result. I'd be interested to see what it would look like using an Ha filter - how much of the halo you can capture with slightly longer exposures.

ChrisH

I would love to see a longer exposure of this, gonna have to try it myself as I have this camera and wonder what a guided 180's shot would be like. especially with RGB. Great images I really like them

Very impressive for a "planetary" camera, better than some cooled CCD images I've seen.  :grin:

What gain where you using?

What capture software?

Were you capturing 8 or 12 bit depth?

I might have a go with deep sky images with my ASI120MM instead of just planets.

James

Very nice images you have there Long arm.

Good to see this camera does do some deepsky.

Ive not tried yet,only planets with mine but i soon will be doing after seeing those results

Kenny

the more I see the pictures from the ASI camera's the happier I am with my choice
they are very capable camera's considering the price

well done on the captures