Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venturing out tonight ?

knobby

Thanks. To be honest the AVX is great, and very impressed with it. The ASPA is very good when done right, though it does take time and you will need an illuminate reticle to do the alignments IMO. to be honest to do DSO stuff you only need the ED80 or similar and the AVX. think it would be a good match. I was expecting a disaster with the 120 second shots, but they came out ok, still got a little elongation.

I will be saving for a small fast scope to have another go at this stuff. Was going to ask Adam if he wanted to try out his ED80 on my AVX...or Gary can bring along his WO Zenithstar. :-)

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the end I went to East Mersea, out at Cudmore Grove Country Park... Was pretty spectacular. Some light pollution on the horizons, but overheard the Milky Way was undeniably present. I'll post up a few pictures soon, managed to catch the moon rising, a nice deep orange crescent.  Amazed my friends with a few of the sights, they wanted to take a look at Vega, being the brightest star they could see, and were amazed by how bright it was. I tried and failed to find Albeiro, to my shame, but moved on to Andromeda, then the Pleiades. Then the moon came up just as we were about to pack up and head home. 

A great night all in all... Clear overhead all night, but out to see, with a nice show of lightening so far away we couldn't hear the thunder. 

I also spent a short time I. The garden with my 15x70 binos, I could see the smudge of the andromeda galaxy, the coat hanger , and the red and blue stars of the head of Cygnus, I tried to find the cigar galaxy but I think I was looking too low unless it can't be seen with the binos of this mag ??

Sent from my iPhone

Cigar and Andromeda were in the murk for me

Not sure about M82 with Bins,  dont use them - as my Avatar name might suggest ;)   but I think it's doable - I've heard that its the most distant naked eye object from a very, very dark site

This is one of the M31 images...never going to inspire too much, but I thought it looked quite nice.

med_gallery_27945_3180_1490917.jpg

Canon EOS -M, ISO1600, 120 seconds "unguided' 1 x ASPA routine.

That's a great effort , with unconventional equipment

Was planning a trip to Suffolk Coast tomorrow night, but forecast seems to be worsening, locally it looks better, so I might trip out to Hatfield forest. If there's going to be a peeps over in MR, I wouldn't mind coming over ....

Hi sam, if im not too tired from a day at colchester zoo i might pop down with my binos and camera to shoot the milky way and star trails, does anyone know how to set a celestron up with its tracking , i have a 102 gt that i coould do with some help setting up with if amyone wouldnt mind ;-))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can't go without me or Knobby....damn....its really odd, I just want to be finishing off my battery box and thinking about using the scope...instead I am in LA sitting by a pool...the girls have all gone shopping...I will try and get some snaps of the night sky for you. Did take some the other night from Hockley, but I really need a better F2 lens.

Yeah go for it...I went over there in the rain....and its really nice...for 10 minutes ;-) use the 7timer website to confirm the weather forecast. good luck!

I was joking above by the way...its a free area to head to ;-) forgot to put the 'winky' face in! as per KNobbys original post, just leave it tidy as the landowner has his details.

Archived