Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venturing out tonight ?

knobby

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it won't be good until 1am ...wish people would also stop working on the damn roads...causes me chaos. :-)

Mind you with the rain and darkness I missed the turn last night...I was rushing as well...went into Leaden and turned round...found it the second time back....then stood in the rain looking at a cloudy moon.

I caught your comments late last night on the train home... was almost tempted to jump in my car and come down. In the end I just decided to sit in the garden with a glass of vino and have look upwards. It was warm and dry and relatively clear for about 30 minutes. I headed indoors when the clouds eventually rolled in though. 

Has anyone around Essex ever been around Hanningfield Reservoir on a clear night at all, was thinking it might be nice and unpolluted around that area.

Also a mate at work goes fishing in a lake in Colchester somewhere and he says on a clear night you almost have a 360 deg field of view of the stars albeit a few bushes dotted about

• 2 weeks later...

Well thats the last time I believe one of the software weather predictors....

Went over to MR and was cloud city...did not manage to dodge one cloud...and Met up with Adam...and Daniel packed his car and then went off road to avoid the V festival..

Oh well ....maybe next time gents.

So I told Steve there's a new rule! If it's cloudy by me he shouldn't leave house. I didn't think tonight was looking good but headed down anyway to cheer him up as the blanket of clouds rolled over :)

I usually only head out to a site if I can see it's clear already and the forecast is clear for most of the night, tonight was a clear spot sandwiched between mostly cloudy so it's quite likely that clear spot never happens.

Tomorrow is looking good though if anyone is interested.

I ended up using my new 15x70 bins for the first proper time in the garden, and done some star trails shots, was very clear here in Wickford, I saw the Andromeda galaxy for the first time well happy ;-) hope you guys had a successful night over at MR

Sent from my iPhone

Sorry to say I was a bit drained to handle another drive out (feel ashamed)...Daniel had been throwing up all day so he did not make the journey either. I did go out in the back garden for a while (not too long).

Clouds came and went. lots of shooting stars, The ISS passed over.  Took some snaps of Uranus (always gets a laugh). The main purpose was to try out the new Moonlite and Bahtinov mask for focusing (seems to work well). Did not really over do the ASPA so the polar alignment was not great. 

Saps taken of M13 Hercules Glob, M31 Andromeda, Then did the double cluster, and then the wild duck cluster. they are all single shots with me messing about with ISO settings etc, but as I said the polar alignment was off so anything beyond 30 seconds has trailing. Trying to image at the long focal lengths is a killer...but fun anyway ;-)  Will post the images if people want to have a look.

Will be off from Tuesday night, so we will have to meet up when I get back. On another positive note, the battery box is pretty much there....just needs a little soldering (and testing)...oh and I need a charger!

Yeah, but was really tired, hence the not messing around with ASPA. Good that you hit M31. always a nice sight /smudge.  need a smallish refractor to image that really. the C8 is too big, and slow!

I got a good couple hours of clear skies last night at home to play with my new 200p. Still practising, but I've identified that I need to buy/build a Bahtinov mask, and get a coma corrector if I want to take some half decent images. I got some basic shots of Andromeda, but they were all a little out of focus. Still, not terrible for a first try :)

That's a nice image. I'll throw up one of the images I got for comparison later on. I'm limited to short-ish exposures due to the mount right now, but its good practise for when I do upgrade. 

How are you finding the AVX? I was looking at it alot... the ASPA would be handy for me as some very large conifers block the view of Polaris from my garden. 

Archived