Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Vixen SG 2.1x42 Binocular

It isn't often a new binocular catches our attention as much as this one  B)

The Vixen SG 2.1x42 binocular offers an ultra-low 2.1x magnification and 42mm objectives. Seriously, 2.1x magnification! We can't wait to try it!

Imagine lying on a recliner under a clear dark sky observing the Milky Way at only 2.1x magnification. 

The SG 2.1x42 is the result of a joint project between Vixen and Miyauchi and is manufactured in Saitama, Japan.

Surprisingly the RRP is only £229! 

vixen_SG2_1x42.jpg

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a strange looking product. I know low mag bins are in at the moment, but I've never seen anything like these. They could indeed be fantastic. They need a strap so they can be worn like sci-fi goggles ;-)

20mm exit pupil! Ideal for this little fellow

Eye placement should be really easy but apparently they are not suitable for those who need to wear glasses when observing (i.e. if you wear glasses to correct astigmatism). 

Eye placement should be really easy but apparently they are not suitable for those who need to wear glasses when observing (i.e. if you wear glasses to correct astigmatism). 

Darn! That scuppers my plans to order a pair. On the up side, that means I have no need to order any atropine either :D

Or is that included

... that means I have no need to order any atropine either :D

Or is that included

That would be cheating  :lol:

(Atropine is a muscle relaxant used to increase eye pupil size). 

Hi Michael,

We have had some additional information which we've added to the product description but you can see below:

post-36613-0-28991800-1399043863.png

* As these are a Galilean optic, there is not a fixed exit pupil, apparent field of view or real field of view. The eye relief figure quoted is to give glasses wearers an idea of whether these will suit their visual set up.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Grant

I've been keenly following discussion on these on another forum and will certainly be looking out for them at the International Astronomy Show. There has been a massive lack of new high quality low power optics on the market, I've resorted to buying several pairs of 4x,5x and 6x binoculars on eBay all of which have been disappointing.

Mel

That's a strange looking product. I know low mag bins are in at the moment, but I've never seen anything like these. They could indeed be fantastic. They need a strap so they can be worn like sci-fi goggles ;-)

Really?

glasses-magnify-your-eyes-bug-eye-specs-

Could someone please explain?

Think of them as opera glasses on steroids :smiley:

... these are a Galilean optic, there is not a fixed exit pupil, apparent field of view or real field of view. 

Also at 2.1x magnification wasted aperture is of little concern because brightness and resolution are already as high as possible, at this magnification. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Indeed, so why not make them 20mm, or even 15mm aperture? Nothing lost (except profit for Vixen of course).

You have things the wrong way around Andrew :smiley:

Within reason, because of the manufacturing process it actually costs more to grind and polish smaller lens elements. This is why higher magnification eyepieces (with their smaller lens elements) cost more than low magnification eyepieces (assuming they are made to a similar design and the same optical quality). Similarly this is why budget long focal length (say 30-40mm) 2" eyepieces perform so well. 

Vixen and Miyauchi's decision to use 42mm objectives has enabled them to achieve a relatively low £229 RRP. 

HTH, 

Steve

You have things the wrong way around Andrew :smiley:

Within reason, because of the manufacturing process it actually costs more to grind and polish smaller lens elements. This is why higher magnification eyepieces (with their smaller lens elements) cost more than low magnification eyepieces (assuming they are made to a similar design and the same optical quality). Similarly this is why budget long focal length (say 30-40mm) 2" eyepieces perform so well. 

Vixen and Miyauchi's decision to use 42mm objectives has enabled them to achieve a relatively low £229 RRP.

Ah, right. Didn't know that. Thanks for the explanation.

Don't get me wrong - I am intrigued as it's a new product to me. I would love to try one out at some point :-)

Couple of questions if I may:

1. You say they are not for those that need to wear glasses to observe, e.g. correction of astigmatism but are they Ok for just short-sighted people who remove their glasses to observe anyway, i.e. is there focus adjustment? And is there diopter adjustment on one eye?

2. Your site say delivery in 5-7 days but further up you suggest you won't have them until the IAS in second week of June, can you clear this one up please?

Cheers

Ian

Vixen-UK are reasonably confident we will receive some in time for the International Astronomy Show (7th & 8th June). 

Couple of questions if I may:

1. You say they are not for those that need to wear glasses to observe, e.g. correction of astigmatism but are they Ok for just short-sighted people who remove their glasses to observe anyway, i.e. is there focus adjustment? And is there diopter adjustment on one eye?

2. Your site say delivery in 5-7 days but further up you suggest you won't have them until the IAS in second week of June, can you clear this one up please?

1. Yes. If you don't wear glasses to observe (i.e. your glasses correct only long/short sightedness) then you can use the Vixen SG 2.1x42 binocular. I am assuming the binocular will have independent (IEP) focusing so will not need a separate dioptre adjustment but I will check and will post again as soon as I know. 

2. We are expecting our first delivery around the middle of this month and will reserve at least one pair to show at the IAS (I am buying one for myself so that will definitely be there). Vixen-UK are also "reasonably confident" they will have some on their stand at the IAS. 

HTH :smiley:

Archived