1564402927_Comet2021Banner.jpg.a8d9e102cd65f969b635e8061096d211.jpg

New Focuser for 150pl

Hi everyone on SGL ! ( my first day on forum )

I am looking to upgrade the focuser on my 150pl to a 2 inch dual speed.

I am trying to find one which will be good for visual work ( At present ) Will also be able to cope with future imaging and the full range of magnification with a bino viewer ( Not asking for much then ! :grin: )

I wondered if anyone has experience with or own the TS ACUN2 to rate and give advise if it will tick all my boxes.

Any advise or help would be much appreciated.

Both same focuser

I fitted a Revelation 2" Crayford focuser to my Celestron Newt and I think it's great, a really worthwhile upgrade! I'd go Crayford rather than Rack & Pinion. These are my learning-points from the upgrade:

All the aftermarket focusers I could find are designed for 8" and larger tubes, so you'll either need to source a base plate for a 6" tube or do some DIY (you can cut the tube square and set the focuser into the tube side, or shim the mounting plate). Either way you'll also need to cut the focuser tube hole larger than the existing one, I found that a "nibbler" was the simplest and cleanest way to do that, much less swarf and metal debris than using a jigsaw!

The original focuser mounting bolts are insubstantial and too small for the larger focuser, so make sure you get new ones ready before drilling and fitting them.

When sourcing a new focuser make sure it's low-profile to allow you to get focus with various attachments if you're going to be imaging, whilst you can add spacers inexpensively, you can't combat too little inward travel!

When sourcing a new focuser make sure it's low-profile to allow you to get focus with various attachments if you're going to be imaging, whilst you can add spacers inexpensively, you can't combat too little inward travel!

Point very well made SJP. i found that when I had fitted my new focuser that I could not gain focus. I had to buy a Baader fine tuning ring to fit to the bottom of the 2" to 1,25" adapter so that I could achieve focus visually, for imaging it was perfect.

Ian

Point very well made SJP. i found that when I had fitted my new focuser that I could not gain focus. I had to buy a Baader fine tuning ring to fit to the bottom of the 2" to 1,25" adapter so that I could achieve focus visually, for imaging it was perfect.

Ian

Thanks for the advise buddy, now for some serious pondering!

Nathan

I fitted a Revelation 2" Crayford focuser to my Celestron Newt and I think it's great, a really worthwhile upgrade! I'd go Crayford rather than Rack & Pinion. These are my learning-points from the upgrade:

All the aftermarket focusers I could find are designed for 8" and larger tubes, so you'll either need to source a base plate for a 6" tube or do some DIY (you can cut the tube square and set the focuser into the tube side, or shim the mounting plate). Either way you'll also need to cut the focuser tube hole larger than the existing one, I found that a "nibbler" was the simplest and cleanest way to do that, much less swarf and metal debris than using a jigsaw!

The original focuser mounting bolts are insubstantial and too small for the larger focuser, so make sure you get new ones ready before drilling and fitting them.

And there was me reaching for the jig already! Thanks for the Tips buddy, gets a bit serious when you have to start cuttting your new scope :tongue:

Nathan