nagler v,s delos v,s pentax

faulksy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Faulksy,

I have a 9mm Nagler and it is a very fine eyepiece, I have also owned a 10mm Delos and I was even more impressed with that, it is a really sharp piece of work. I have not used the 10mm Pentax though site seem to love it and I know one member had both at a star party and prefered the Pentax, but only just.

I would buy the the Delos again as I miss it and I believe that with the newer coatings and design will be every bit as good as any eyepiece on the market, it could even come down to what you look at in the night sky as to which is better.

Alan

Alan, I would pity the poor person that has to review the two in a head to head, a 10mm Delos vesus 10mm pentax. I imagine you'd need a lot of guts to announce a winner, not that there has to be one.

Anyone  google Pentax 10mm XW versus 10mm Delos and I struggle to find anything  to say there is a winner, it is more along the lines of you may prefer one over the other for comfort, that type of thing.

Coming to think of it, slightly offtopic, shame pentax never ventured further into the eyepiece market with more offerings. I suspect they could conjure up some magic.

You bought the 10mm Dekos, biiiig mistake, it should have been the XW, don't succumb to peer pressure just because Dan said to buy it  :grin:  

spoiler:

naah congrats, enjoy, no doubt it will be lovely  :smiley:

should have bought the pentax :grin: truthfully i have both delos and pentax in my small line up. I can't split them i only went for more pentax because they came up cheaper second hand

....Coming to think of it, slightly offtopic, shame pentax never ventured further into the eyepiece market with more offerings. I suspect they could conjure up some magic.

It's a good point - the XW's do pretty well for a decade old design originally intended for spotting scopes. Heaven help Tele Vue if Pentax ever really put their minds to designing some astro eyepieces.

If you try some of the Tele Vue designs for daytime spotting work they don't actually work very well.

It's a good point - the XW's do pretty well for a decade old design originally intended for spotting scopes. Heaven help Tele Vue if Pentax ever really put their minds to designing some astro eyepieces.

If you try some of the Tele Vue designs for daytime spotting work they don't actually work very well.

thats amazing, you would think with the coatings and light scatter control they would be ace. but as all on sgl we believe every word you say john. :smiley:

I can't really believe that Pentax never gave some consideration to the astro market when they designed the XW range it is not as if they had never made an eyepiece for the astronomers in the world. I mean at the same time they were marketing telescopes carrying their own name, I am assuming they made them.

Alan.

In have a 16mm T2 Nagler which was quite cheap comparatively. other than a slightly darker sky through exit pupil, there's no quality difference I can see compared with my 13mm Ethos. as above I think at this sort of quality you cannot go wrong.

I have had a good go with both Pentax and Delos 10mm offerings and to my eyes, any differences were object specific. They were almost indistinguishable. Overall I felt the contrast and light throughput marginally better on the Pentax but everyone's eyes are different. I am sure you will be very happy with the Delos.

Archived