SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need a Tripod for an EQ1

As my next modest step into astrophotography I've borrowed an EQ1 mount. The idea is to buy an RA motor for it and attach my DSLR, mostly using my kit and 50mm lenses. This will allow me take longer exposures than I can manage from a fixed tripod and hopefully provide a reasonable rig to practise and experiment with. I've attached a ball-head joint to the EQ1 for the camera, to make aiming easier.

However, I also need a lightweight tripod for the EQ1. I've tried searching online and fired off a couple of enquiries to suppliers including FLO, but have drawn a blank. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

You could try Astroboot  http://www.astroboot.co.uk/AstroBoot . They usually have the odd EQ1 tripod head listed and then make some new legs from wood. They alos have something listed called an EQ1/2 tripod adapter (£10 ) which would allow you to attach the EQ head to a standard photo tripod.

Great spot thanks, I did look on Astroboot but didn't notice that item.

Just had a look at your obsy page Wayne - very nice shots indeed - those Vixens are something to reckon with. Unfortunately I can't help with the tripod, but just thought I'd mention your superb images. :)

Thanks, but I'm not Wayne and most of those images aren't mine. :) I manage the website but I live in Hertfordshire, so I don't get many opportunities to use the 'scopes. I'll pass on your message.

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a look at your obsy page Wayne - very nice shots indeed - those Vixens are something to reckon with. Unfortunately I can't help with the tripod, but just thought I'd mention your superb images. :)

Thank you brantuk. The dark site makes things a lot easier.

Totally agree about Vixen mounts too - I'd wholeheartedly recommend them.

Archived