Double Stars

johnd

Hope this the correct forum?

So Double Stars, don't know a lot about this genre of gazing other than they can be lovely things and can be a challenge to resolve, if I'm correct?

In my search for the elusive M65/66 I was using a DS as a ref in my 5degree Bins view/Star Chart (see attachment) and having failed to see the Messiers, I decided to make myself feel better and look at the big shinny thing south of Chartan as its a double star, easy but no?  Despite my best 5.3mm (Barlowed) it still appears as a not very sharp star. I now suspect that this Double Star business is either a bit more tricky or I'm rubbish?

If I assume I'm not completely rubbish and there is (like Messier finding) easier and more difficult DS's is there a List or some helpful info on this site? I had a search but didn't get anything specific.

Your comments and/or help appreciated.

Double Stars.docx

I cannot open the file and get anything meaningful.

So:

Small list of 20 or so.

Coloured DS Delaware

Could be the same

Eagle Creek

Bigger list.

Coldfield Obs

I did a small update to the Delaware list for myself, added in the SAO or HIP numbers - cannot recall which, and returned it to them, seems they have not updated what they had. Probably decided I was a lunatic and best avoided. It is just a nice small list.

With a Newt, you might consider reducing the aperture by taking the small cap off the end lid and placing it so that the hole is facing opposite the focuser. This will give you sharper views of the planets, Moon and double stars.

There is plenty info on doubles if you scan down the forum to "Science; observing and imaging double stars".

There are plenty to see and are a good find for Moonlit or bright nights. Or even

Clear nights,

Nick.

Hi Thanks for the Lists and Forum section clarification, looks like a lot to be getting on. My specific Double I image in the attached doc was the one approx. 4 degrees straight down from Chartan and 2 degrees below the M65/66 DSO's.

Hi Thanks for the Lists and Forum section clarification, looks like a lot to be getting on. My specific Double I image in the attached doc was the one approx. 4 degrees straight down from Chartan and 2 degrees below the M65/66 DSO's.

Ah doubles - love 'em. Just came in from looking at kappa Her in binocs, just beautiful. 

The big arrow on your map is pointing at iota Leo. This is a pretty tough double; the separation is 2.1 arcseconds, which should be possible with your scope and the 5.3mm EP, but it's not an easy warm-up one in any way. From my notes I split this last year but had to put in some effort. 

Try hopping down past sigma Leo to the lovely low-power pairs tau and 83 Leo (use lowest power or binocs). Then try Algieba (gamma Leo) using about 150-200x. Then let us know if you're hooked yet!

Ah doubles - love 'em. Just came in from looking at kappa Her in binocs, just beautiful. 

The big arrow on your map is pointing at iota Leo. This is a pretty tough double; the separation is 2.1 arcseconds, which should be possible with your scope and the 5.3mm EP, but it's not an easy warm-up one in any way. From my notes I split this last year but had to put in some effort. 

Try hopping down past sigma Leo to the lovely low-power pairs tau and 83 Leo (use lowest power or binocs). Then try Algieba (gamma Leo) using about 150-200x. Then let us know if you're hooked yet!

Thanks the reason I was using it was to make sure I was looking at the correct stars to guide me to M65/66 and I couldn't split it but I could tell it was a Double by the way it looked i.e. all the other stars in the area were pin sharp, were this one looked 'defused'. But, I didn't have my EP down to 5.3 via the Barlow, so I'll try this next time.

Archived