SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M 31 Andromeda Galaxy, 41 hours and 27megapixel mosaic

Grinde

I’m really late to this thread, like others I don’t know how I’ve missed it especially as I am a massive fan of galaxy images.

It is quite simply the best M31 I have ever seen. One of my pet projects for when I retire and get a permenant set up is a multi panel detailed image of M31, after viewing this I will be giving it go, but I can’t see me getting anywhere near this result, it is just superb.

Time very well spent Jonas... If you are going to do an image of one of the most photographed objects in Northern skies then do it just like this. It is a very special image Jonas you have made that AG12 of yours sing. Its been said many times here but really has to be the best M31 image I've seen.... pure class!

• Like 1

Just catching up with the imaging section as have been snowed under and then this pops up, just simply amazing, I don't think I have ever seen an M31 as good or detailed as this and I have seen some pretty amazing M31's.

Just superb!!!! Speechless.

• 1 year later...

Holy thread revival.... 

Inspired by this I am starting on my own multi-month project on this with the TEC140 and ATIK 460.    I'm just doing luminance to start with,  15 panes  of 9 x 10 minute subs each.  Got one pain done so far.  Will add RGB 2x2 later.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Holy thread revival.... 

Inspired by this I am starting on my own multi-month project on this with the TEC140 and ATIK 460.    I'm just doing luminance to start with,  15 panes  of 9 x 10 minute subs each.  Got one pain done so far.  Will add RGB 2x2 later.

This was and is a truly great image by Grinde, who is one of my robotic clients, though this image was taken from his home country. The high dynamic range makes it a very difficult target, despite its popularity and the fact that it's the easiest galaxy to see naked eye (and the only one I can see naked eye, though some can see M33.) Good for you for giving it a go. These big projects are great fun and very rewarding.

Olly

Agreed Olly (if I am qualified to agree).  I find this an extremely difficult target to process.  How bright the core?  How red the HII regions?  How bright should the arms be?  What colour balance?

Grinde's effort here takes this to another level altogether.  Masterclass.  His Schumacher to my Miss Daisy.....

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

Agreed Olly (if I am qualified to agree).  I find this an extremely difficult target to process.  How bright the core?  How red the HII regions?  How bright should the arms be?  What colour balance?

Grinde's effort here takes this to another level altogether.  Masterclass.  His Schumacher to my Miss Daisy.....

The thing about the core is not so much how bright the bright parts are but how to get the less bright parts into play. I don't know how Jonas did it but I found that ruthless brutality worked remarkably well! :icon_mrgreen:

Olly

Wow! I somehow missed this post 5 years back. Very pleased it was resurrected, what an incredible mosaic by an amateur or a professional, well a human really!

Wishing you good weather Kirkster. I'm sure it will be something special, and I hope I catch the thread when you post your results.   

2 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Holy thread revival.... 

Yes, the very best of luck kirkster!

Edited by gorann

Obviously profoundly good.  But I bet you can get even further into the core.  Brightness kills dynamic range.  With your dedication, taking a few shorter subs per channel should be right up your alley.  Take a look at this meager green stack.  Structures actually go right to the core (almost)  There is only a few hours of data here--unlike yours, but the structures are clear.  I am sure you can find more detail in your core.  Well done on the aquisition and processing.  

Rodd

Crop-final2.jpg.9dbf616790bb9400a5965d0e17ab2f78.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Obviously profoundly good.  But I bet you can get even further into the core.  Brightness kills dynamic range.  With your dedication, taking a few shorter subs per channel should be right up your alley.  Take a look at this meager green stack.  Structures actually go right to the core (almost)  There is only a few hours of data here--unlike yours, but the structures are clear.  I am sure you can find more detail in your core.  Well done on the aquisition and processing.  

Rodd

Crop-final2.jpg.9dbf616790bb9400a5965d0e17ab2f78.jpg

What Edwin Hubble would have given for a modern astro camera - even an amateur one!

Louise

• Like 2