Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Grinde

M 31 Andromeda Galaxy, 41 hours and 27megapixel mosaic

The best   M31 I have EVER  seen!!!!!!!!  Stunningly impressive piece of work.

John

This is just fantastic! I can't believe the amount of detail you have achieved in this. Simpley amazing. This was a HUGE undertaking that clearly shows the amount of time that you put into it. My jaw dropped when I saw the first 100% crops.

Btw why did you choose to do 180sec Lum over a longer exposure...or is that suppose to be 1800sec?

The best   M31 I have EVER  seen!!!!!!!!  Stunningly impressive piece of work.

John

Thanks for your compliments John, I'm very happy you enjoyed my work :)

This is just fantastic! I can't believe the amount of detail you have achieved in this. Simpley amazing. This was a HUGE undertaking that clearly shows the amount of time that you put into it. My jaw dropped when I saw the first 100% crops.

Btw why did you choose to do 180sec Lum over a longer exposure...or is that suppose to be 1800sec?

Thanks!! It feels like I've been on a month-long expedition to Andromeda, exploring clusters & dustclouds through a panoramic window, (which is partly the truth as well) and I'm very happy I'm able to share this experience with the rest of you!

Regarding the 3minute subs (180s), That was my maximum exposure-length with the lum filter without overexposing the core of the galaxy, the fast focal-ratio of f/3.8 really speed things up, and since the background sky overpowered the readnoise-level I doubt anything would be gained by going for longer subs. And with my crappy seeing and lots of moving clouds, less data got wasted with the short subs and the stars less bloated and less burned out cores.

• Like 3

Spine tinglingly spectacular! Congrats on what is a truly stunning image Jonas :)

Just wow. I've just spent ten minutes looking through the images and blown away by the level of detail here.

Just amazing, thanks you so much for sharing.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Well done, take the rest of the week off!

• Like 2

Thanks!! It feels like I've been on a month-long expedition to Andromeda, exploring clusters & dustclouds through a panoramic window, (which is partly the truth as well) and I'm very happy I'm able to share this experience with the rest of you!

Regarding the 3minute subs (180s), That was my maximum exposure-length with the lum filter without overexposing the core of the galaxy, the fast focal-ratio of f/3.8 really speed things up, and since the background sky overpowered the readnoise-level I doubt anything would be gained by going for longer subs. And with my crappy seeing and lots of moving clouds, less data got wasted with the short subs and the stars less bloated and less burned out cores.

I forgot that the AG is at f/3.8...that explains a lot lol. Most people would do long exposures combined with short ones to control the core and just do layer masking in the processing to feather the core out. Is the main reason you didn't use this more common technique because of your clouds and seeing, which I completely understand why it would limit you, or is there another reason why?

An outstanding piece of work - the detail seen in the full screen/annotated version on the website link from Jonas is just amazing. I've never seen M31 before with this level of resolution, simply astounding.

Martin

I know little about AP work but that looks truly incredible and can appreciate the amount of work that has gone into it. As good as anything I have seen...

Sent from Lumia 925 via Tapatalk

those are absolutely stunning images
a lot of dedication in that, you should be well proud of yourself

This is the result of a  colossal amount of work and a monumental achievement. I can not even begin to appreciate the level of effort and expertise in this production. Congratulations.

Regards,

A.G

Holy Moly!!! Stunning and superb don't even begin to describe this work. Such dedication, it's beautiful Jonas, it really is :smiley:

• Like 1

What a labour of love this really has to be viewed at the maximum resolution to really begin to appreciate the amount of work put into it. This is a real 'reference image' that people will be bench marking theirs to :)

I personally like the core to be near saturation as this then shows the large dynamic range of M31 giving it a bit of ' body' rather than it being a very flat image. It's possible to not use layered techniques and using HDR wavelet function to bring out the core as in my image below. Jonas 's fantastic high res image gave me chance to confirm some of the features that I have picked up close to the core.

post-1118-0-14149200-1398879487_thumb.jp

• Like 3

You sir, are dedicated! Well done on a fantastic bit of work :) just when i was starting to think M31 images were getting boooring, but now i would love to do something similar someday. Love that second image of those blue star clouds! :grin:

I'm stunned and speechless!

What an amazing piece of work! This is pro-level stuff, going beyond amateur level!

The dedication you put into this is really inspiring!

• Like 1

Surely an APOD !!!
Amazing level of commitment and execution, something to be really proud of there.
Inspiring.

It's images like this that will make me appreciate these objects so much more when I next see the fuzzy grey smudges through my humble Dob.

I am now in awe!

• Like 1