SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

About to join the Dob mob :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

great choice, i purchased my old skywatcher 250 dob fro rother vally and their service was brilliant.

one thing i would say is upgrade the standard eyepieces when you get a chance, as these are really a limiting factor

great choice, i purchased my old skywatcher 250 dob fro rother vally and their service was brilliant.

one thing i would say is upgrade the standard eyepieces when you get a chance, as these are really a limiting factor

I agree..but the 25mm is not too bad still use it now and then

Yeah the 25mm is ok, the 10mm is pretty rubbish though but it's enough to tide you over until you can get something better. An RACI finder scope is also worth considering if you have some spare cash, the straight through finder it comes with can be a real pain in the neck...

I'm still on the fence when it comes to Dobs..  is the 250 manageable for a 13 stone weakling into the garden?  What's it like for planet watching, e.g. Mars compared to my 8SE?

Being a 12 stone weakling I take the 300 out into the garden in the two parts... Base then ota. The 8se you own will be great for planets, its native focal length is 2032mm which is much more than the 1200mm of a 250, sure on a good night a bigger mirror will always benefit but I think you'd need to think bigger in terms of dob to get noticeably better results.

That being said a 250 will show you the full messier catalogue and a heck of a lot more, it will also be superb for wider field views and an all round powerful tool.

Hmm, that's kind of what I thought - no real improvement over the 8SE for planets, kind of a sideways step.  I really should start reading Every Photon Counts to see what I can get out of some simple imaging with the scopes I have.

Welcome to the Dob Mob! :grin: ,

Once you have mastered nudging your Dob You will become amazed once you start getting better EP's for your Dob?,  

​There are a few upgrades you can consider for your Dob in the near future, Like a better 2x focuser!,

A lazy Susan bearing to make nudging easy,    http://www.qualitybearingsonline.com/lazy-susan-bearings/lazy-susan-bearing-12-inch-round/,

If you find your Dob Is suffering with dew problems consider wrapping a foam dew shield around it?, It stopped my dew problems with my 10" Dob, :cool: .

Ian.   :smiley:

I'm still on the fence when it comes to Dobs..  is the 250 manageable for a 13 stone weakling into the garden?  What's it like for planet watching, e.g. Mars compared to my 8SE?

Well I'm no weakling but at 6'1" and 71Kgs I'm slim and can manage my 12" Dob in and out of the conservatory, its got a step down also. I mostly carry the whole thing out and split it bringing it in. Its actually not difficult when you split and its very easy and quick to do this. 

Love my 250px. Its easily manageable for me and its not so much the weight but it's size that makes it awkward, but its simple enough to split it and move tube and base separately. The lazy susan bearing mod is a must IMHO, just makes a world of difference and my focuser will be replaced with a decent dual speed as soon as I can.

Its a fantastic scope, I've tracked down numerous faint fuzzies from my back garden even with the LP and the views of the planets are fantastic when the seeing allows. Holds collimation pretty well too

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

As an all round scope I dont think you can beat a 10" dob.

+1 Mike.  12" for me would have been too heavy and not transportable enough.  An 8" would have induced a +2" aperture fever. I don't get many things right 1st time with hobbies, but I feel good about my choices so far and would recommend a 10" dob every damn time....and some decent eyepieces (they are half your scope !)

Hmm, that's kind of what I thought - no real improvement over the 8SE for planets, kind of a sideways step. I really should start reading Every Photon Counts to see what I can get out of some simple imaging with the scopes I have.

Personally I find my 8se is optically better than my old 250, especially on planets. I only managed to locate m13 on the 250 and although the image may have been slightly brighter I find I can resolve the stars better with the SE.

Portability wise you could argue the 250 is better than the 8se. Although as a whole the 250 is heavier, it can easily be carried in two parts and assembled in the dark. I wouldn't like to mount the SE ota in the dark.

The Dob has landed!!! Cant wait to get it out tonight as the weather looks good :) Bigger than I thought it would be. I think my wife might notice it, I best inform her now :)

Cant fault the service from rother valley optics too! Ordered at 10am yesterday and arrived at 11 am today! A great looking scope!

Exciting times.

Shep

The Dob has landed!!! Cant wait to get it out tonight as the weather looks good :) Bigger than I thought it would be. I think my wife might notice it, I best inform her now :)

Cant fault the service from rother valley optics too! Ordered at 10am yesterday and arrived at 11 am today! A great looking scope!

Exciting times.

Shep

Great & quick service!

You are going to love the views mate.  Although you have jinxed the weather now !  If you can wait until the skies are transparent, the views will seriously blow you mind..........Patience is the prerequisite to this hobby. :smiley:   But you already knew that.

Archived