Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Altar Astro 80 or WO GT81 Triplets

I am looking at upgrading to a triplet to hopefully enhance my imaging quality. The two scopes I have in mind are the Altair Astro Wave 80ED triplet and the WO GT81 triplet. I have read good reviews on both and cannot make up my mind which is the best. I would be imaging with the Atik 460exm LRGB or the QHY8 pro OSC. Any thoughts anyone?

cheers

Steve

... it basically comes Down to your own preference towards either of the two brands. :rolleyes:

The OP has done some research and narrowed his choice down to two models so is asking for opinions. That is worthy of a more constructive response... 

Hi Steve, I'm also looking to upgrade to a triplet and the altair wave ed80 - GT81 have both been on my list.  I think both would be a good upgrade. i've also started to look at the william optics FLT 98 latest model @ Flo the optics are by a leading russian designer G strakov. You can also get this scope down to F5 which in my book is fast especially after using sct's. I know it costs about a grand more than the other two but this is a very highly regarded refractor. I think i've just talked myself into buying the FLT98, keep us informed on what you decide to go with!

The OP has done some research and narrowed his choice down to two models so is asking for opinions. That is worthy of a more constructive response... 

The waves series of AltAir astro are high regarded and easily go head to head against WO and other brands in the price range.

Their 115ED Wave is most popular with raving reviews and always consistently sold out at all times.

So, that´s why I said that in the end it might just come down to personal preference towards a specific brand.

It´s hard to tell which brand he should go for, when both scopes are equal in performance. It´s very personal.

In this case, as he is already an owner of a WO Scope and if he has a good experience with it, he might prefer to stick with the brand and go for the GT81?

Hi Steve, I'm also looking to upgrade to a triplet and the altair wave ed80 - GT81 have both been on my list.  I think both would be a good upgrade. i've also started to look at the william optics FLT 98 latest model @ Flo the optics are by a leading russian designer G strakov. You can also get this scope down to F5 which in my book is fast especially after using sct's. I know it costs about a grand more than the other two but this is a very highly regarded refractor. I think i've just talked myself into buying the FLT98, keep us informed on what you decide to go with!

Hi Martyn,

The FLT98 looks a cracking scope but too big for my needs. I want to piggyback the WO Z71 on either of the Triplets. The WO Z71 imaging Narrowband or Luminance with the Atik 460exm and the Triplet imaging RGB with the QHY8 pro.

The captured fields are similar with both the cameras and the scopes.

cheers

Steve

Hi guys, I recently purchased the WO GTF81, I haven't had much time to use it but the quality is superb. 

One of the reasons I bought it was also due tot he fact I'm somewhat of a newbie and focal lengths, field flateners and all these other acronyms really confuse me! :)

I wanted one quality scope that I know is ready-to-go when I take it out.

Besides the lenses, what I really like about the focuser is the micro precision and also the lock. I use a light Sony NEX camera but it's still nice to have the lock once I get it focused.

On a side note, I also purchased the ioptron smarteq pro to have a lightweight travel scope for photography. 

One nice aspect to the Altair scope is that it allows a fuly threaded connection between the scope and the camera (i.e. no push fit connection involved).  Does anyone know it the GT81 have the same facility?

One nice aspect to the Altair scope is that it allows a fuly threaded connection between the scope and the camera (i.e. no push fit connection involved).  Does anyone know it the GT81 have the same facility?

Hi Mike,

I have the WO Z71 ED which uses the same FF/FR and it doesn't screw directly to the scope. Neither will it to the GT81. I have made my mind up after reading Badger's review of his Altair Astro 80 Triplet and

purchased a super second hand model from Mike in Belper. Looking forward to setting it up and first light, but looking at the weather forecast it's the usual Astro buyers curse  :sad:

Thanks everyone for all your positive feedback & comments.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Mike,

I have the WO Z71 ED which uses the same FF/FR and it doesn't screw directly to the scope. Neither will it to the GT81. I have made my mind up after reading Badger's review of his Altair Astro 80 Triplet and

purchased a super second hand model from Mike in Belper. Looking forward to setting it up and first light, but looking at the weather forecast it's the usual Astro buyers curse :sad:

Thanks everyone for all your positive feedback & comments.

Cheers

Steve

Yup. The weather took a drastic change here today as well. Getting cold now, after almost 2 weeks of nice weather ( and me crying not having a scope yet ).

Nice purchase! Looking forward to your report. :)

If you really can't choose, try this:

for each scope, build an order of everything you want with it: case, FF, tube rings, delivery costs, cuddly toy

Then look at the prices and note the difference.

Then ask yourself this question: could I buy someting with the difference in total cost that would make one choice or another more attractive?

If yes, buy the cheaper and the extra accessory/ies

if not, get the cheape of the two - even if it is only a couple of quid.

If you feel the process has led you to the wrong decision, get the more expensive item. In a short time the extra cost will have been forgotten but the knowledge that you got the equipment you wanted will remain.

Archived