The Squid

PNJ

"The Squid"
In 2011 Nicolas Outers discovered something unusual in the nebulous region in Cepheus SH2-129, he first thought it was a new Planetary nebula, however professionals think otherwise. here is the discovery info
http://www.outters.fr/images%20site%20astro/decouverte-OU4-eu.pdf

I thought i have ago at this using my 5nm Oiii filter from Newton Aycliffe, after spending 4 hours on it, my images revealed nothing. I then borrowed a 3nm Oiii filter courtesy of Mark Underwood, and imaged for 8 hours at 30min subs. Looking at the individual fits files, still nothing, i then stacked the 8 images, and wow i could just see it. i then only got a 20 min shot in the Ha filter. Combined and heavy processing in PI, here is my results.
The first image is a combined of the 8 fits file, as you can see hardly nothing there. , and the 2ndimage is my own. Whew !!

Paul J

post-2387-0-02699400-1398681354_thumb.jp

post-2387-0-80978500-1398681372_thumb.jp

I absolutely love this target, sadly never got round to doing it last year. I love the way that it jumps out at you in blue while the rest of the bat is red. Well done on a very tricky target indeed, great work!

Thanks you,   its a pity i not had any more chance to collect more  Ha data to enhance the image,  might have to wait til next season now, hopefully have another go at Kelling Heath !

The Ha is just one 2o min shot.

Televue 101is at F4.3 and QSI

Hi All,

I have had a retry on my Squid image,  Olly sent me some Ha data, to help enhance the Ha regions more,  I not used this extra data to its full potential yet, but at least its helped brighten up the Ha region.

Not sure which is best , so feedback very welcome

Paul J

post-2387-0-38282200-1398963135_thumb.jp

Archived