SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M101 and HA regions.

Daniel-K

just came back from a camping trip where i viewed M101 and for the first time i can confidently say ive seen HA regions in the arms with no filters.. The spiral arms where stunning while looking through the 17.3Delos it was asif the M101 was spinning in front of you. truly amazing sight. what a shame there was only 2 hours of clear sky. M51 was also spectacular but i couldn't resist  staying on M101.

Dan

post-6284-0-40379200-1398614611_thumb.jp

Good to hear you had a good trip Dan.

I think M101 gets a bad wrap sometimes because it is very faint from places with LP but under dark skies its just amazing! Saying that I havent even looked at it with my 16" yet, its one of the few on my Messier sketch list left to do so I'm hoping to do it in the next couple nights.

Great stuff, certainly expect that you all used those two hours to the full extent. Look forward to any further comments, pictures concerning the weekend. Here's hoping that the bank holiday weekend shapes up and can focus on M101.

Archived