Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

daz

EQ6 Altitude mod

Having ordered an altitude mod plate from Gunnar, I took the opportunity to do the work today.

You can read my write-up at http://darrenjehan.me.uk/blog/skywatcher-eq6-altitude-mod/

Nice and simple and worked a treat. Need a clear night now to re-align and see how it well it works in practice, but have high hopes!

• Like 2

I did it a few months back and find it extremely effective and as you would know, the hardest part of the mod is removing those blasted covers on the mount...what were sw thinking using the adhesive they did?

lol! I replaced mine a while ago when I did some other work on mount! I have never been able to fully clean the SW glue of the mount!! 

Having ordered an altitude mod plate from Gunnar, I took the opportunity to do the work today.

You can read my write-up at http://darrenjehan.me.uk/blog/skywatcher-eq6-altitude-mod/

Nice and simple and worked a treat. Need a clear night now to re-align and see how it well it works in practice, but have high hopes!

Where did you order from? Have you got a link?
  • Like 1

Excellent mod! I simply hate how stiff my NEQ6 is and honestly I fear for those bolts! May I ask, I see in your pics that you have replaced the original ALT bolt with a lift&twist. Have you trimmed the bolts head (where it makes contact with the mount) to a dome so as not to dig into the mount or left it as it is?

Where did you order from? Have you got a link?

Tony, I contacted Gunnar through sgl message. He hasn't got a web page or shop as such. He is very approachable and will do all he can to help you. 

• Like 1

Tony, I contacted Gunnar through sgl message. He hasn't got a web page or shop as such. He is very approachable and will do all he can to help you.

Thanks mate! :D

post-3028-0-29407800-1398959188.jpg

Have you trimmed the bolts head (where it makes contact with the mount) to a dome so as not to dig into the mount or left it as it is?

Here is a picture of the ones Daz uses and as you can see the heads have been shaped to "minimise" gouging-although that does not work

Brilliant guys but can't seem to find anywhere to get one of these mods. Contacted Gunnar and he says he's to busy with other things.  Anyone have any idea where I could get one or a drawing of exact shape/measurements to get two made ?

27 minutes ago, FireLighter said:

Brilliant guys but can't seem to find anywhere to get one of these mods. Contacted Gunnar and he says he's to busy with other things.  Anyone have any idea where I could get one or a drawing of exact shape/measurements to get two made ?

This http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/mount-accessories/mkii-eq6wedge/ ?

30 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

yeah, thats about a difference of £220 from the mod gunnar made :)

58 minutes ago, FireLighter said:

this thread may help?

Yes  different mod    I'd like this one but just a tad too much money for me.  The one i was after was the metal plate to go beneath altitude adjustment bolt itself

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tooth_dr
      I scrapped all the Oiii and Sii data I previously took during a full moon (about 15 hours worth) and retook it all when the moon was a bit smaller at 76%.  Ha was taken during 98% and 67% moon.  All the lights were taken on the following nights: 12th, 19th and 20th September 2019.
      Integration times, all in 600s subs unbinned:
      Ha = 28.33 hours
      Oiii= = 5.67 hours
      Sii = 5.67 hours

The Ha data is really nice, and unsurprisingly the Oiii and Sii is not as strong (or nice).
      I'm missing that (vital) step in my processing routine of getting the Sii and Oiii properly stretched to match the Ha, before combining.  I dont really know how to deal with the weaker data properly.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
      What I do currently:
      All the data is loaded into APP into separate channels/sessions.
      The data is stacked and registered against the best Ha sub
      This produces individual stacks of Ha, Sii and Oiii that are all registered
      Each channel is processed with DPP in APP and then saved as a 16bit TIFF
      Each is opened in PS
      Stars removed with AA and any remnants removed and tidied up
      I then open a blank RGB document in PS
      I paste Ha into Green, Sii into Red and Oiii into Blue
      Adjust the selective colour settings to get 'Hubble palette'
      Adjust levels, curves, saturation until looks ok
      All the Ha Sii Oiii data is then combined together in a single 'super' stack in APP using quality weighted algorithm to create a 'luminance'
      That luminance layer is adjusted using levels, curves, and NC tools such as local contrast enhancement and deep space noise reduction (using masks to apply as required)
      The luminance is pasted onto the above colour layer, and incrementally added using gaussian blur
      Cropped and saved.

Here it is anyway   I haven't intended on any more exposure time for this one, but will consider it, if the expert opinion dictates otherwise!

CS
      Adam

• By astrorg
      Hello
      I have been away from this forum from possibly July - I never find a lot of time to do anything these days, same to be able to relax reading and interacting Astronomy forums.
      I asked here a few ideas about making a solar scope or modifying whatever I had and I was recommended to also see Solar Chat Forums and I did.
      Thanks to solarchatforums I have been able to do something decent and here is what I have done so far - very slowly!
      1. I purchased a second hand PST and replaced its ITF with Maier one from the US and it finally had a clear image coming through + moved Etalon screw to third position - all the usual thing everybody does [after I researched it]!
      2. used a new SCT screw-on short focuser [used once or twice on a LX200 R Classic] and using Teflon tape I screwed the PST Etalon to the focuser and purchased a 2" adaptor to fit on Etalon.
      3. then used a Chinese 2" to 1.25 and modified the 2" side socket taking internal ring off and making 3x 120° threaded holes and 3x nylon thumb screws and used that as an adaptor to fit the original PST eyepiece holder - strangely enough at present this adaptor is also used as a tilter ... until I buy a proper camera tilter
      4. then fit the above eyepiece holder into the SCT focuser with 2" to 1.252 adaptor in it and screwed the whole Gold PST tube with Etalon in it and made a BETTER PST - see image

5. I also initially tried a 2.2x DSLR camera Lens magnifier in front of PST and it decently works too - so PST will be fine for full solar disk mainly and without the 0.5 angstrom - not forcibly needed, I am probably around 0.7 as it is!
      6. more importantly, I decided to make my own 90mm solar scope using the above bits and pieces.
      7. with the help of Solar Chat Forums [great guys with a lot of knowledge, some are professional - i.e. they know the optics mathematical details - which helps] I purchased a cheap Bresser AR90/900
      8. the ONLY usable thing there ... is the main tube, a nice and thick tube - the rest is ALL plastic!!!
      I dismounted all parts and saw tube shorter ... a bit too much ! - I could have saved ~6cm really as I went with original ideas, but forgot I was using a different telescope from my initial thoughts - silly me!
      So, I added a 6cm extension - no problems there to reach the 20cm inward needed for the PST Etalon which has ~20cm FL
      9. initially I used a Tuna Fish 100g tin to adapt the SCT focuser onto my AR152 and fit Etalon inside the focuser to get near the 20cm needed- lets call it Quark unit - which it is really!
      It worked well, so I decided to add a second focuser to tune the Etalon ... getting back to AR90/900 ...
      10. I was trying to avoid overspending, I could not afford to spend too much - then I remembered I had a unused AR102SX which in my mind I guessed ... the focuser should over AR90/900 and it did!
      It just fits perfectly - then drilled three holes for the holding screws et-voila'
      11. I purchased a second hand 75mn Baader D-ERF and fit it INSIDE the AR90 tube at about 20cm inside from the front air-spaced doublet lenses, as there are the usual internal rings soldered in and just sit on it and I have about 70mm aperture  - i.e 70mm width from the D-ERF for photons to get through.
      At that ~20cm distance from front lenses the beam is still very large - probably about 60-65mm - there is no heat in between - no need for air-escaping holes
      12. when I have the time I will make a solar finder scope and fit it on the tube - not that is really needed - I usually use CDC to get there almost over The Sun [having an almost exact spot on the yard!] - then use my eye without eyepiece and look thourgh the PST eyepiece holder for solar shinging and centre the telescope over The Sun.
      Well, it works well after tuning Etalon focuser correctly and then focusing/tuning Etalon etc. - the usual.
      See some images - still learning imaging/processing and a lot more to learn about Solar ... a lot!
      I will probably need to get a Power-mate 2.5x when I can afford it!

1st mod - without the original black box - it works so much better - better focusing and sharper viewing too.

This is the AR90/900 shorten tube with AR102SX focuser and adaptors to test it normally

This is complete with the Quark Unit on the right side
      Since this image there have been some changing - do not use the revelation adaptor any more and added a 6cm 2" extension.

Here are some images:

• By Astrofriend
      Hi,
      My EQ6 mount is old now. Very stiff RA and DEC axis, it's time to dismantle it and see how bad the inside is.
      I followed the Astro Baby guide and it was not any big problem to dismantle it. It looks fine inside, I suspect some earlier owner already have done this cleaning and put new grease on. But that must be years ago.
      When I now have dismantled everything, shall I rebuilt it and install timing belt drives? I feel it's a little to much money to put on this old mount. I have to think about it and see what alternatives there are.
      Here is my EQ6 dismantling story:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-eq6-dismantling-rebuilding/01-eq6-dismantling-rebuilding.html
      Only first part, now I'm drawing plans.
      /Lars
    • By Anne S
      I'm trying to update my v3 handset prior to selling the mount. I need to update the bootloader from v1.0 to v1.7 before I can upgrade the firmware from 3.12 to the newest version. I've tried following the instructions in the bootloader download but the upgrade loader refuses to install anything.
      Before I realised I needed to update the bootloader, the synscan loader v3.3 just showed 255 255 255 where it should display the handset software, ie 3.12.
      Can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong?
      The handset won't run the mount probably because I had a replacement motor control board a few years ago., I'm guessing. It worked fine before that. I've been using eqMod for years.
      Thanks.
      Anne

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.