SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

10x50 or 12x50 bins?

Hi All

So, after the disaster that were the Braun 10x50 WP's I found a stonkingly good price on some Nikon Aculon A211's and decided to pull the trigger on those.  Seem to have pretty glowing reviews both here in the UK and across the Pond and the price was too good to pass (£80).

Not one to have everything ever to go smoothly (and due to illness induced confusion) I have ended up with 2 pairs.  A set of 10x50's and a set of 12x50s.  One set is going to have to go back but the question is which?

Ideally I am hoping for some clear skies(!) and if there is so much of a hint of the moon or any other celestial object I'll be out and giving the both a run out on a tripod and see which I like the most.

However, I would appreciate any guidance on what I should be looking for when making a decision and any other considerations I should bear in mind.

I understand that the 12x will have a smaller exit pupil and will therefore be less bright but are there any good targets people could recommend so I can see how higher magnification with lower light compares to lower mag but brighter?

Also, there is always the (strong) possibility that I will not be able to do any meaningful comparisons although at the moment I can see something that looks suspiciously like blue sky!

Thanks all for your help

My inclination is towards the 10x50: you will almost certainly find it easier to use & see more in it, owing to wider field, brighter image and, importantly, ease of holding steadily.

On the batphone, so expect weird autocorrect

I would try and do some side by side comparisons for quality of image, brightness and most importantly how easily your arms fatigue and how much wobble there is.

Here is a great online resource for someone with binoculars and lists good things to look at listed by constellation; so use stellarium to see what constellations will be visible at your desired observing time and date and visible horizon, then use these lists to pick out what you should be looking for.

http://carolrpt.com/astroguidev9complete.pdf

I suspect the 10x50 will be the most comfortable to use and give as good views as the other pair.

Jd

The 10x50's would most likely be my choice. However, bins are very personal things - so I'd suggest you hang fire if you can until you get a chance to test side by side. Simply doing the comparison will give you good learning in itself.

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide, and lets us know your thoughts and decision.

I managed to get out briefly on Saturday night with them both. Incredible what you can see up there!

First thoughts are that it wasn't even close! The 10x destroyed the 12x. Just couldn't get comfortable with the 12's and very noticeably darker.

But, I was nipping in and out of a lit kitchen to keep swapping them so the 10's may have just been better with my eyes not being adjusted to the dark properly.

Hopefully will get chance to have a proper go tonight and will have both pairs out with me so no constant changes in light.

Will report accordingly and thanks all for your thoughts.

Sent from Lumia 925 via Tapatalk

Thank you all for your valuable feedback.  The gods were smiling last night and I managed to get out for a solid 1 1/2 hours (my attempt at an obs report here http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/215403-first-night-success/) and to be honest I didn't even take the 12's out.  They were packed up ready to go back - very disappointed in them.  Not nearly as sharp as the 10's, could not get them focussed and suffered horrid CA in the periphery vision.  Too dark too - noticeable even during daylight tests.

The 10's though - an absolute delight.  Pin sharp, nice focus action and the desired 'snap to' and good in the hand or on my tripod.  I actually saw at least one of Jupiter's moons and as per my report could not quite believe M44 with a bins compared to the blank piece of sky I saw without them!

The forecast didn't look promising for tonight (Mrs Danny is on nights again) so was planning to dust the ham gear off but looking out of the window things are looking up and I guess in this game you take the clear skies when they are on offer.

• 1 month later...

Good choice,

anything more than 10x you really need to up the aperture to increase the ligh gathering, and then they become another

instrument entirely and need a tripod.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

My Nikon Extreme (EX) 10x50s have just arrived, and until I carry out  a few more tests, I still like  my 7x50's?  And I'm not even certain how genuine my Nikons are ? Buyer beware!

Its nice that you  had both the 10x and 12x side-by-side. Thats the only genuine way to test things out ( that's how I tested my BST's ) or visit a decent shop.  I think PC World and Argos may sell  a few binoculars in my  town, but I'd rather visit a proper shop/dealer, but I don't have too many within local driving distances. You can now return the set you don't like, despite their specifications. My 10x50.s are going to be better for my Daytime usage rather than astronomical use. 

Archived