SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

who needs a torch when I'm wearing my white stilettos?

neptune1

Hello Essex Cloud Dodgers.

I've finally found you. People kept referring me to the 'Essex Cloud Dodgers' and I thought they were being sarcastic about our lack of good skies. I'm in Loughton, epicentre of TOWIE and...erm. For my mid life crisis I've ordered an OOUK 12 inch dobsonian. A big step up from my binoculars and I'm a complete and total novice when it comes to equipment. I'll probably set it upside down when it arrives. I've been to a couple of the Baker Street Irregulars observing nights and currently working myself up to attend the LAS evenings. Have enjoyed gazing up at the heavens for many years so will be nice to see a bit more detail  <weather permitting>. Isn't it nice now the street lights get turned off at midnight? Look forward to chatting to you all, will probably put out several SOS when the new scope arrives, Claire

Hi Claire , you've picked a beautiful scope... A 12" as a starter scope!

have you actually seen the size of one? And can you lift it ?

How are you at finding objects and have you downloaded any apps to help?

have you a PC /Mac, iPhone /android?

So many questions :-)

Look forward to the scope arriving.

glad you found us

Thanks knobby. So when I was looking lots of members on here posted pics for me. It's an F4.5 so not too long and I should be ok. The OOUK scopes are surprisingly light compared to the Chinese ones and the base is compact and lift able. I've downloaded stellarium, have the turn left at orion book and used to scanning with my bins. If there is anything else you can recommend that would be great.

Yep... You're right! Just looked and your 12" tube is roughly the same weight as my SW 10".

if you can find stuff with you're bins then I'm sure you'll be fine with the dob.

maybe a sky map app for your phone for when you get out and about but you sound like you've got it all sussed :-)

When's the new arrival?

He he the new baby arrives sometime in May. Just in time for all the objects to disappear and end of the dark skies. I figure I can spend summer on a steep learning curve how to set it up and by the time August comes I'll be ready for the good stuff.

Not a problem... M13 will be about in May... You haven't lived until you see Hercules cluster in a big dob :-)

I was only into planets when I started... Then I saw the unending mass of tiny jewells and was hooked on globs!

globs are a bit like Sky Vagazzles...

Sky vajazzles!! Brilliant.

Pat light pollution not too bad -out back is mainly forest. As long as I don't look over London out front. Better now street lights off at midnight though. Could be better of course.

Welcome to the clan...

Nice scope choice.  Have to agree with Komrade Knobby about M13...it is a real stunner. You seem to have done your research as well and starting with bins is the best way to find your away around (IMO).

Wish you luck, and Im sure him indoors will quickly get bitten by the bug once he has seen another galaxy ;-) still does my head in every time ....

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

Archived