Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

SunBear

Cellphone Astrophotography? Why not?

Hi all,

These were first try experiments taken through our 12" Dob on the back patio during the last total lunar eclipse (Blood Moon) a couple of weeks ago.

We used my Samsung Galaxy S4 with an Orion SteadyPix Universal Adapter.

The eyepiece was a 30mm Zhumell Plossl wide field, no filters. 

The phone's front cam is 13 megapixels.

All images lightly enhanced by Google+ and GIMP.

I had NO idea you could get these results from a cameraphone. (Of course, my phone retails for more than my scope! Seriously. Lol!)

Feedback welcome.

Clear Skies!

PS: Does anyone else here use this method?

post-36796-0-41168500-1398461047_thumb.j

post-36796-0-56217000-1398461066_thumb.j

post-36796-0-21727900-1398461103_thumb.j

post-36796-0-09572500-1398461121_thumb.j

• Like 5

You'll be asking yourself why when you use much much better gear. For now it works for you. Good. Have at it and have fun!

• Like 1

Nice shots, you've captured the colour very well!

I am a 99% purely visual observer, but every now and then I stick the iphone up against the eyepiece when looking at the moon and see what happens.

With a high magnification, it's amazing what you can get.

u9usu3e2.jpg

ju6evesy.jpg

adajy6e3.jpg

pu7u8yna.jpg

vu9aru5a.jpg

tebu3avy.jpg

If it works and you enjoy it, why not?

Cheers,

Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BigMakStutov
  • Like 1

Wow! Those are AWESOME! 

Is that magnification straight through the eyepiece or did you enlarge them as I did? Did you use a filter?

They are just handheld up against the eyepiece, probably at between x200 and x300 magnification.

No filters, I just cropped the best bits from each image and I think I converted them to a mono or grey scale image.

These are a couple of the originals to give you an idea.

py3ateme.jpg

nu3ydu8u.jpg

ene6ynev.jpg

Stu

We don't even have a visible moon to observe right now. 

Have you any experience with a variable polarizer for moon and planetary shots?

I think I need to get the brightness down beyond the range of a standard moon filter or ND.

-- Cheers!

I am always amazed at the images one can get through a phone or other camera held up to the lens of a telescope. I have tried numerous times and I can never have a steady enough hand to get a decent image. Hats off to this image and to others that can take these photos!

Great images - never even thought about trying my phone!  once this cloud clears.....

Pete

The afocal imaging method can be a useful tool in the astronomers kit bag  :smiley: Its easer than setting up lap top's and web cam's, although the results will be less good. It is nice for making a record of what you were observing on a particular night, shooting a movie and processing through RegiStax will give better results, using the afocal method, than a single image.  :smiley:

Laurie61 is right. Since I've been learning stacking software... I decided to dig out a movie file I shot with my iPhone 5s. I used PIPP and discussed the worst frames, then stacked the images to give best final result. Here's link to photo on my Flickr page. Hope link works..

http://flic.kr/p/n4U7sc

By the way using my phone to type is not a good idea with predictive text. Hence the typo "discussed" should read discarded. Lol.

• Like 1

Hi there! I'm pretty new to astronomy and astrophotography and have been trying to focus on the same thing.  I've used the orion steadypix adapter for my iPhone 5s and also another adapter called Magnifi . However, I've had issues getting good fits with my eyepieces on both of those adapters.

Specifically with the Orion adapter, when using my 6mm Plossl, I find that the eyepiece is too short and can't be held right against my iPhone and also slide into the focuser.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any suggestions?  Here's a link to a few of the images I've taken so far:  iAstrophoto Gallery

Cheers!

Matt

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

I happen to use a Samsung rather than an iPhone but that doesn't make any difference.

If you haven't done so already, try clamping the eyepiece right up against the rubber eyecup. I use that Orion adapter and find that I almost always have to do that.

To be perfectly honest, the adapter can be a bit of a pain! You just have to play with it till you get it the way you want. -- Dave

Thanks for the quick response Dave!  I think the problem may be that the eyepieces I have are very short to begin with.  Even if I clamp right around the rubber eyecup piece, there still isn't enough of the back end sticking out to slide into my Barlow or focuser.  I'm going to play around with it some more and may experiment with modifying the adapter some.  Will let you know if I find anything of interest!

Matt

• Like 1

Matt,
FYI, the eyepieces I use, (stock Zhumell) are 36mm long (without the rubber cup.
When inserted in the adapter as described, I have 16mm of tube to fit in the focuser.

Is this similar to your setup?

-- Dave

post-36796-0-92912600-1398655927_thumb.j

Here's another, same way. Can ya guess it's from a cellphone?  :grin:

post-36796-0-05755600-1398657183_thumb.j

Hey Dave...pretty similar. My 6mm plossl has about the same tube sticking out. My 10mm kellner has hardly anything. I added a filter to it tonight and that helped a bit. I also just realized that the rubber eyecup piece can easily be taken off. I think that will help line up the small aperture on the plossl.u5e9u4a4.jpg

Hey there, back again after having made some very easy modifications to my Orion SteadyPix Universal Smartphone Adapter!

Using two lock nuts and some superglue, I made some stops that tell me almost exactly where perfect alignment is for my iPhone 5s.  This lets me quickly swing the iPhone out of the way to get a good look through the eyepiece, then swing the iPhone back into alignment.  From there I can do fine tuning adjustments of the knob that holds the eyepiece clamp.  So far it's been a big help.  I also find that with my shorter 6mm Plossl eyepiece, using a filter gives a little more to grab onto for either my Barlow or the focuser tube.  This usually works well since I'm just trying to do planetary iAstrophotography with my 6mm.

I wrote a little blog post about it with some pictures - check it out here!

Cheers!

Matt

great pictures,

i took some of the last eclipse with a nokia N8.

it was my first try at an eclipse.

it was taken using a 25mm eypiece.

post-37532-0-98399700-1404958910_thumb.j