Rolls Royce - Celestial

Freff

Did anyone watch tonights programme featuring the  Rolls Royce - Celestial. The car is based on the night sky theme. RR has hundreds of fibre optics built into the cars roof that will shine accurately the night sky any night of the year. It also reflects the theme down to the door line panels and dash encrusted with dozens of high quality 250carat diamonds.

It's hard to put into words, but the car has to be seen to be believed. I'm sure Sir Patrick would have approved.

To be honest I thought it was a tad tacky.... Normally I associate RR with the finest materials, the finest leather in the seats, the finest wood for the trim etc... sticking a few hundred grands worth of diamonds in the door trims seems tacky.  I did like the fact that the fibre optic night sky was correctly based on the true night sky.... it's that attention to detail that you expect from RR.

Right off to get a lotto ticket... euromillions jackpot of £55m tonight.... we all can dream :)

If I were given such a car I would sell it, get a second-hand Grande Espace (or Transit van), buy tonnes of real astrokit, probably a villa in France in a dark location, and probably still get plenty of change. And no, I do not need my car to know what constellations are currently obscured by clouds, I know that already (and if not, there is always stellarium)

Matter of priorities. ;)

That Celestial is like all astronomy accessories - very expensive for what it is - and you pay over the odds for the brand name.

It would be nice to pitch up at a star party in one though - and sit outside the tent with a twenty grand picnic hamper hahaha! :grin:

That Celestial is like all astronomy accessories - very expensive for what it is - and you pay over the odds for the brand name.

It would be nice to pitch up at a star party in one though - and sit outside the tent with a twenty grand picnic hamper hahaha! :grin:

But at the star party everybody would say: "TURN THOSE BLEEDIN' LIGHTS OFF!!" and nobody would appreciate the night sky projected by the fibre optics ;)

Archived