SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Oh no....I missed it!

Gilez

Gutted. I've been a busy chap for a few months now due to the arrival of our second baby so haven't been on here for a while and keeping tabs in stuff and likewise my scope is gathering dust.

What I had booked and had firmly marked in my diary though was a pitch at this event which was all sanctioned by the wife and thought it would be a good night and a chance to meet up with others etc.

I txt my mate this evening to see if he fancied joining me, believing it this next weekend for him to say "last week wasn't it?". To my horror it looms like it was:(

Lesson learned - don't trust your entry into your calendar on your phone. It is also annoying that someone could have had my pitch if so sorry about that too.

Next time.

Dont worry gilez the exact same nearly happened to me. i had the week after booked in my diary (with the wrong days any way) i had booked the days off work as well and had an interview on one of them so was working around that, it was only because i messaged Daz to check the days i had booked that i had found out it was the friday - monday  (and we were on the wednesday at that point!) luckly my manager let me have a few extra days off!    

fingers crossed you will be able to come to SGL10 though! :)

You missed nothing

wednesday night there was a meteor storm like nothing you have ever seen (one guy was able to catch a couple in a pringles packet)

thursday the sky was so dark and clear you were able to see the horsehead nebula naked eye in colour

friday there was that magnificent comet

saturday everybody had their solar scopes out for the total eclipse

and the rest of the time was just sitting around drinking beer, talking astronomy and just enjoying lots of good company. 

I hope next year is better

I nearly forgot the aurora sightings who would have thought the aurora australis could be seen that far north. 

All in all a pretty run of the mill starcamp.

Ha! Why didn't you wake me up ? I was busy during the day watching this !attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nick.

i remember them arriving just after the solar eclipse. they made an amazingly tasty hog roast. it's a pity there was none left for the sunday because a pig that good you shouldn't eat all at once

Sounds like you all had a great time. I came on here looking how to book 2014 SGL9 only to realise it has been and gone and comments on SGL that SGL10 has closed booking!

How does a mere mortal manage to book one of these events?

Is it OK turn up without a scope (mine are bolted down never to move again)?

I would bring an Astrotrac and DSLR though.

I am impressed by the photo of Mars, all I can manage is a small round pink circle. You must have fount the sweet spot on your scope.

Archived