SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What makes Solar and Lunar observing so appealing ?

Pig

What is it that makes the Sun & Moon so appealing to view for you ?

I think its the locality of our Sun and Moon that makes it so appealing for me :laugh:

Imagine if we could see Arcturus or the moons of Jupiter like we can our own Sun and Moon, it would be nothing short of amazing :smiley:

The views observed of our sun are just so dynamic and its size so dominating that everything else, as good as it is, just seems to get blown away.

The views available along the termination of the Moon during its phases are also spectacular, the magnification achievable allows the most magnificent detail to be seen.

Happy days & nights :smiley:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with you. We get such spectacular views relatively close up of both objects. Other fuzzies are just that but I'm not knocking those that find them fascinating. I probably would too if I could get the hang of imaging!

It's the wow factor that both objects have that draws you in. You never know what the Sun is up to from day to day or even hour to hour and just have to keep having a look in case you are missing something.

With the Moon, no matter how many times you've observed it, the next time still wows you because you forget just how spectacular it is.

I couldn't agree more - the sun is fascinating to watch - I could look at it all day. And it fills a big gap when the night sky is unavailable for weeks on end. :)

It certainly does fill a big gap, I have had 8 solar and 6 Lunar sessions this month alone :smiley:  This count has been consistent for 3 months in a row :laugh:

I agree with you. We get such spectacular views relatively close up of both objects. Other fuzzies are just that but I'm not knocking those that find them fascinating. I probably would too if I could get the hang of imaging!

It's the wow factor that both objects have that draws you in. You never know what the Sun is up to from day to day or even hour to hour and just have to keep having a look in case you are missing something.

With the Moon, no matter how many times you've observed it, the next time still wows you because you forget just how spectacular it is.

I completely agree with the fluidity of observing the Sun, it just does not stay still :smiley:  The Moon is the same for me, there is always something new to see no matter how many times I observe it :smiley:

One thing I love about lunar and solar is that they are objects that very directly affect us. I can see the moonlight lighting up the garden while I observe it. I can feel the sunlight on my skin while doing solar. They are objects that we already know so well. But now we can see them in ways we couldn't before :) Non-astronomer friends and family can relate to the Sun and Moon.

I love how I can do solar during the day (of course!!) when there's not much else astro-wise on offer. I can do some solar during lunch at work. I love how the lighting of features changes dramatically over the Moon. The Sun is a giant fireball, that's pretty fun to watch :)

Both of these objects are practical things to image. One minute's worth of capture of the Sun or moon rather than the four or five hours I wanted for DSO's (which are amazing too, but one minute of imaging fits my life better at the moment). These objects work well with grab-and-go setups, giant aperture is not required :) (Though I wouldn't say no to a Lunt 152 if anyone has one spare).

I like objects that I feel I know well, they seem like friends. The Sun and Moon hang around all year. Even just a few minutes of solar or lunar observing makes me feel like I have had a worthwhile session, maybe equivalent to an hour of deep sky.

I like not being frozen stiff and fumbling around in the dark. Suntan lotion, sunglasses, a silly hat and a glass of chilled Coke, what's not to like? :D And it's fun to wonder what is going on the Sun today. New spots? A big prom? Watching a big prom evolve is great fun :)

With the Moon, I love using binoviewers with my SCT. Sitting down nice and comfy, not much strain on the eyes. Lovely :)

I forgot to add, I am a bit concerned about how increases in light pollution will affect my DSO observing. It's definitely increased where we are since we took up stargazing. No such worry with Sun and Moon :laugh:

I like lunar observing because there's always plenty to see, the best sights change throughout the month and it's not affected by light pollution.  The more I learn about it the better it gets (I just got Charles Wood's book The modern Moon and it looks like it'll give my motivation a huge boost).  Plus I can claim to be a lunatic.

I think we all share much the same reasons for liking our planets neighbours, I must admit also observing in the Sunlight and Moonlight are quite a serene experience :laugh:

I still think everyone should own a solar scope of any kind, it has to be by far my favourite pastime :grin:

When I first started out with observational astronomy I would never in a million years have thought I'd end up a solar observer. Telescope = night observing. It was a chance observation (suggested by the late great Sir Patrick on Sky at Night) that made me have a go just out of curiosity. That was around 1969/70 and I was hooked.

Life went on and astronomy and observing took a back seat for some decades then in 1999 when I found I had some time on my hands once more, I bought a telescope and vaguely remembered projecting the Sun in my youth. So I had a go and wow, captivated again. Been at it ever since. Probably pop my clogs at the scope!

This forum is what gave me my first thirst for solar observing :smiley: Most of the images posted in here have been nothing short of brilliant and are more than capable of convincing anybody to at least try solar observing.

I also had the fortunate chance around 1990 to have a look through a telescope with a solar filter (I now know that sort of filter is quite dangerous due to potential cracking concerns)  :shocked:  all the same it was a wonderful sight and I have pondered on it many times since.

The reason I've fell in love with solar all of a sudden is two fold.....1 is reading all the posts by the solar guys and gals on here,it sounds really enthralling and exciting. ...2 the fact (as I've said before) that it's really the only object that you can observe something happening almost in real time.

The fact that something major could happen at anytime. I've been thinking that there should be a post dedicated to solar viewing.....I mean a kind of alert post for when things of at least medium and upwards in magnitude happens? To alert other solar observers to whip there scopes out :-)

It's just an idea :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

as with others it's the something new every day for both sun and moon. it's more reliable too than DSO watching given they often shine through haze and some cloud and are unaffected by light pollution as they are the light pollution

The reason I've fell in love with solar all of a sudden is two fold.....1 is reading all the posts by the solar guys and gals on here,it sounds really enthralling and exciting. ...2 the fact (as I've said before) that it's really the only object that you can observe something happening almost in real time.

The fact that something major could happen at anytime. I've been thinking that there should be a post dedicated to solar viewing.....I mean a kind of alert post for when things of at least medium and upwards in magnitude happens? To alert other solar observers to whip there scopes out :-)

It's just an idea :-)

That does happen now Skem :smiley: there is quite often a heads up in the solar observing section because something is or may be about to happen. As a result it is well worth popping in and out of the forum

That does happen now Skem :smiley: there is quite often a heads up in the solar observing section because something is or may be about to happen. As a result it is well worth popping in and out of the forum

hehe I've got the relevant solar post subscribed,so they ping when someone posts stuff :-)

LoL me too, I'm to scared to miss anything :grin: its by far the best hobby I have.

I was sat outside earlier with my usual pint of Rose, playing the guitar and watching the sun ----Perfect :laugh:

If you don't mind me asking guys what are your names ?

It's so nice to be in touch with fellow enthusiasts!

that's ANOTHER reason that this particular hobby (albeit expensive,or can be) is so good cos of sites and friendly individuals like you lot :-)

We can exchange and let each other know what's happening. And let's not forget FLO,without EXCELLENT outlets like them,we wouldn't have the best equipment we have too drive our hobby :-)

I must say that I do find solar viewing much more fulfilling than 'normal' night time observing. Don't get me wrong there is something astounding yet peaceful and fulfilling about communing with the universe but it tends to be a lonely pastime unless you find a few like minded souls who are prepared to stay up all night in the freezing cold.

Solar observing brings you back into here and now, with the light only taking eight minutes to reach your eyes the ability to share a common experience with online friends I find is a life affirming pastime. The Sun gives us and the planet life and it's solar system and all the stars before it has created everything that we see around us.

I love sitting outside, bathed in its warmth and watching it change knowing that it sustains us.

Learning from those of you who have such deep and insightful knowledge is also a great joy and privilege - thank you all for sharing that knowledge, experience and passion.

Of course being able to do all that whilst topping up the vitamin D and enjoying a cold beer (or whatever takes your fancy) is a completely secondary consideration...;-)

Kieran

I remember my first encounter with the sun in the infant scool playground,  it was the time when you discover the joy of burning holes in paper with a magnifying glass which in turn leads to using it on your skin to feel the heat which in turn became my first solar observing which started a life long interest in what  is out there .  For me the thing that makes solar and lunar so special is the close relationship they have with us in everyday life and how they influence life on earth.. Observing in such detail is allways a pleasure .

I remember my first encounter with the sun in the infant scool playground,  it was the time when you discover the joy of burning holes in paper with a magnifying glass which in turn leads to using it on your skin to feel the heat which in turn became my first solar observing which started a life long interest in what  is out there .  For me the thing that makes solar and lunar so special is the close relationship they have with us in everyday life and how they influence life on earth.. Observing in such detail is allways a pleasure .

That is so very true, both the Sun & the Moon have had a major influence on the development of the human race since day dot :smiley:  Both have been worshipped, they are both responsible for the measurement of time etc... the list is probably endless :shocked:

Archived