Narrowband

Bresser Messier AR-127L my thoughts.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but I've been given one of these to use at outreach events & it sounds like it's a pretty good scope.
I was going to give it a first light today with some Solar & a Lunt wedge but its gotten far to cloudy now so I'll have to wait for another time.
The only annoying thing as mentioned is the focuser so I might have to look into making it operate a bit smoother. I'm not overly keen on the plastic screws that hold the finder bracket either even though it does hold it in place nice & solid, just a pity it didn't have a standard finder shoe.
However I really do like the illuminated finder as I think that's a nice touch, it just needed some new batteries when I picked it up yesterday & I had some lying around & it works a treat.
Hopefully I'll giving it a first light sometime soon so if there's anything else to look out for on these then please give me your thoughts.

DSC_0034.thumb.JPG.fb46727a7181f595f59e28802b157e0c.JPG

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good scopes :smiley:

I had one for a while and it gave some great views. False colour is well corrected at F/9.4 and my example (bought from another SGL member) showed a very good star test.

Thinking back, I think I preferred the 127L to the chinese 150mm F/8 refractors that I owned later. Quite a classical looking scope as well.

The focuser can be tweaked to make it smoother as I recall. I changed the finder shoe on mine for one compatible with Skywatcher finders.

Jupiter will look really nice at around 180x :smiley:

I love my AR127L, ive had it 13 years in October, great for moon views and imaging, cracking scope for doubles, mine has hardly any CA and the focuser is smooth as butter, Ive had a lot of scopes come and go since owning old faithfull and found nothing to better without spending loads of cash. goodluck and have fun with it.  charl.

heres a pic of old faithfull in action doing whitelight.

DSC08924.thumb.JPG.b3fdf92d1b1e29191d7d7537dd3c8388.JPG

I've done some tweaking with the focuser & its a bit better although I may strip it down sometime & have another look, when the skies did clear this afternoon long enough to set up my garden I was shaded out aaargh so when I'll get to try it out now is anyone's guess.
Still I'm looking forward to trying it out either at home or at the next outreach event which is a couple of weeks away now :icon_biggrin:

1 hour ago, John said:

Scopes like that create quite a stir at outreach events. People always seem to be attracted to a long white tube pointed at the heavens :smiley:

I fully agree. The long-tubed refractor looks like what the majority of people link to astronomy and science in their minds.

Have fun!

Dave

5918cbd26d569_ATypicalAmerikan.jpg.6ebe2c71415ad5eff9391c6a83af00f7.jpg

Well I've still not managed to get out with it due to the weather this week but I'm not to worried now as I've been fettling with it getting it ready for next weeks outreach.
As it will be mainly for Solar (hopefully) I've put an ED100 on top with a Seymour white light filter as some prefer the views due to the contrast rather than the Lunt wedge which will be fitted onto the 127L. However I did think about mounting my little Lunt 35 to the set up but couldn't think of a way without having the eyepiece for it ridiculously high until I looked at the finder bracket & thought hmmm it looks like the Lunt will fit those rings, & indeed it does with a bit of bodgery, so that's a problem solved plus all the eyepieces will be at a decent level but far enough away from each other so you don't bang your heads so I'm kinda liking the finder bracket now, I might have to look or place an ad for another one for the finder now.
I hope the big white tube does its job at pulling in the public to have a view as I love hearing their reactions although I hope the Sun gives them something to look at too as it's been pretty quiet lately.

592046975cf8a_All3one.thumb.jpg.fa4f9644f82a017ac596c9b180f06704.jpg

592046bdc27cb_All3two.thumb.jpg.fe615e8017bfaebb33bfbeeacf9056ee.jpg

35 minutes ago, tich said:

So do I John as we haven't had a lot of luck so far this year & this one will be the 6th event so far & there's plenty more to follow.

I've done a few this year with my astro socety (nighttime and daytime) but we have had to cancel a lot as well. One of our members is an ex-RAF weather forecaster and he is usally spot on so at least we can call things off rather than sit under clouded skies.

When it works out I'm really enjoying these outreach events though :icon_biggrin:

That's a great set-up for outreach, tich.

I really enjoyed my 127-AR when I had it and had a Moonlite focuser on it which made a big difference.

I hope the sun shines for you at the event :smile:

30 minutes ago, John said:

I've done a few this year with my astro socety (nighttime and daytime) but we have had to cancel a lot as well. One of our members is an ex-RAF weather forecaster and he is usally spot on so at least we can call things off rather than sit under clouded skies.

When it works out I'm really enjoying these outreach events though :icon_biggrin:

And to think I came to my first SGL in 2012 didn't have much of  a clue (still don't) with my first scope & I were green behind the gills & now look at me ha ha, I don't mind though especially when I hear the wows from the public. I do seem to do mainly daytime events & would love to do more at night although that could be a possibility as Tim & myself have spoken about it. I remember thinking as you were looking round the sky with Matthews 12" Dobsonian how the hell are you finding this stuff? i have since done a bit of manual star hopping I should do more really as there's a lot I need to learn about the night sky & the constellations.

17 minutes ago, DRT said:

That's a great set-up for outreach, tich.

I really enjoyed my 127-AR when I had it and had a Moonlite focuser on it which made a big difference.

I hope the sun shines for you at the event :smile:

Thanks Derek
I'm keeping my fingers crossed although it is being held over a bank holiday weekend & we all know what the weather can be like during those.

7 hours ago, tich said:

Well I've still not managed to get out with it due to the weather this week but I'm not to worried now as I've been fettling with it getting it ready for next weeks outreach.
As it will be mainly for Solar (hopefully) I've put an ED100 on top with a Seymour white light filter as some prefer the views due to the contrast rather than the Lunt wedge which will be fitted onto the 127L. However I did think about mounting my little Lunt 35 to the set up but couldn't think of a way without having the eyepiece for it ridiculously high until I looked at the finder bracket & thought hmmm it looks like the Lunt will fit those rings, & indeed it does with a bit of bodgery, so that's a problem solved plus all the eyepieces will be at a decent level but far enough away from each other so you don't bang your heads so I'm kinda liking the finder bracket now, I might have to look or place an ad for another one for the finder now.
I hope the big white tube does its job at pulling in the public to have a view as I love hearing their reactions although I hope the Sun gives them something to look at too as it's been pretty quiet lately.

592046975cf8a_All3one.thumb.jpg.fa4f9644f82a017ac596c9b180f06704.jpg

592046bdc27cb_All3two.thumb.jpg.fe615e8017bfaebb33bfbeeacf9056ee.jpg

Wow, that ED100 looks tiny on the AR127l?.

Enjoy!

Dave

4 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

Wow, that ED100 looks tiny on the AR127l?.

Enjoy!

Dave

Yeah I thought the same when I popped it on there although the Lunt35 looks like a finderscope lol.

• 1 month later...

Well I've managed 3 outreach events with it all were mainly solar events although the last one I did manage to view Jupiter with it which has been my first time this season.

The first outreach was at Lamport Saturday we were able to view the sun but the seeing itself was pretty terrible for most of the day & the Sunday it rained pretty much all day, the second time we were at Daventry & we had much better views, I did notice when using the Lunt wedge with the AR127 there was some fringing but apart from that the views it gave were pretty good, even the modded finderscope bracket worked great with the Lunt. (Still looking for another bracket for the finderscope)

59500f8235f00_DSC_0148-CroppedEnhanced.thumb.jpg.e98f8beb7558f882e1ce6190191ff77c.jpg

On Wednesday night we had a Solstice evening so again we started off with some Solar observing & after the clouds had parted I managed to point the scopes to Jupiter. After about an hour or so of being clouded out earlier I pointed the scopes to an LED street light in the distance, the ED100 showed no ca whereas the 127 showed quite a lot, but then that's probably due to the brightness of them. Anyway later on when both scopes were pointing at Jupiter I couldn't see any difference with either scopes  even the contrast looked pretty much the same, the only difference being viewing it in the 127 it was slightly brighter. I'd imagine lunar viewing ca would be more present but I haven't got round to that yet.

DSC_0159.thumb.JPG.3212fc02578b1b1b5db170906f5925d8.JPG

IMG_1159.thumb.JPG.5515f6e1879cccda101a67132205b3e3.JPG

Archived