SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway Star Camp 2014

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks just an update on the Galloway s/p,had a call from Lesley ( Campsite Owner) to let me know that there are only 2 electric hook-ups left,so anyone in two minds about attending should get a move on.

There are of course plenty of non-electric pitches available.

This year`s event is well subscibed all adding fuel to the  event fast becoming the premier Astro event in Scotland . Great accomodation,enthusiastic attendees,and oh those dark skies,all in all a great place to enjoy Astronomy in all it`s many guises,

Looking forward to catching up with everyone,

Regards

Mike

I am so looking forward to this event. I think it is safe to say that I am better prepared far in advance of any other star party I have attended. I have, I think, bought all of the bits I need - replacement tent poles, new hiking boots, toilet tent (for scope storage - don't ya know), spare batteries etc.

It always amazes me that i manage to completely fill the car with "stuff" even when it is only me travelling. I am going to make an effort to cut back on some stuff this time :tongue:

I am also looking forward to being able to buy some Tennent's Lager on draft and I may have to bring a couple of cases home with me :grin: I can't be doing with the stuff they call "Tennent's" down here.

Ian

I;ve never been to a star party before.  I'm booked up with electric hookup.  Anyone know what the average temp is at that time of year there?  I bet cold.

I've got a Greenwitch scope cover for my scope.  Is that enough or do people use more than that or do people take their scopes inside their tent when not in use?

Ian,it can be cold and damp,a lot of us use a toilet tent as an extra cover,these are good insurance as not only can it be cold and damp but also windy,but do not despair as we have seen most of these conditions in every combination and have always prevailed.

There will be enough people on site to help and give advice (no charge) when you arrive.

We know you will enjoy this starcamp,the venue is kept in pristine condition by Lesley and Ralf (the campsite owners) and they make every effort to make our (astronomers) lives easy,blackout blinds in toilet block and warm room add to the Dark skies that make the venue so memorable and when i say dark i mean dark.

Any other questions just ask,looking forward to meeting you,,

Regards

Mike

Mike, thanks for the info. I've been to the mull fishing amd took my old.kit and it was dark and this was beginning of summer. Really looking forward to it and hoping to get some imaging done too as well as visual and of course meeting everyone. See you there!

I;ve never been to a star party before.  I'm booked up with electric hookup.  Anyone know what the average temp is at that time of year there?  I bet cold.

I've got a Greenwitch scope cover for my scope.  Is that enough or do people use more than that or do people take their scopes inside their tent when not in use?

Hi Ian,

You will be fine with the Greenwitch scope cover. Most people leave their scopes mounted. If the nights are clear, as we hope them to be, the temperature will drop. It may get to below freezing. When camping or outdoors it is always best to stay warm rather than try to get warm. As long as you have a suitably warm sleeping bag, preferably a mummy one, you will be fine. I use one of these bags in the winter months:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-SIZE-SLEEPING-BAG-COMPRESSION-SACK-GRADE-1-CONDITION-/281460489630?pt=UK_SportingGoods_SleepingBags_SM&hash=item41885a3d9e#ht_1878wt_1164

Wearing layers is the key. It is easier to take bits off if you get too warm.

I find my biggest problem is my feet. Whatever you do, do not wear Wellingtons, a good pair of waterproof hiking boots fit the bill as you will wandering around alot of the day and night in damp grass i.e. on the campsite.

I always take a hotwater bottle (yes i know I'm a softy) but it is hard to beat getting into a warm sleeping bag.

Ian

Ian

Ian, sound advice. I've got thermals and layers and a NorthFace McMurdo jacket which should do the trick when outside. Ski pants are good too. I'll bring some blankets for the sleeping bag I've got a double and it seems warm (in the summer) ill need to check it. The water bottle sounds like it will be a very good idea! And whiskey :-) boots it is and thermal socks x2

Hi Ian,

You have made a brilliant choice with the Galloway star party.

The climate details for Kirkinner in November are 5.7C average, ranging 2.9 to 8.6C or 42.3F average ranging 37.2 to 47.5F.

The average rainfall is 123mm.

So there will be cloudy nights, but when it is clear the skies are very dark and the views are definitely worth the visit.

Incidentally, it is very important to ensure that you are well insulated from the ground.

When camping I have a plastic footprint sheet with a heavy groundsheet, then I have carpets two layers in the living area.

In the bedroom area I have a blanket on the floor, I have a camp bed which I store my rucksack under the bed, I fill the space with spare gear. On the bed I have a foam mat, a thermarest mat and two blankets. And, finally a 5 season down filled sleeping bag.

I do not put anything on top of the bag.

I trust you enjoy the experience of Galloway, the people who go are always very friendly and helpful.

Java Cakes are an essential item.

Cheers

Adrian

One of my best purchases was from an army surplus store.

German Tank Commander padded trousers.

Fit under a pair of combat trousers and with my Mountain Equipment puffa jacket I'm toasty!

I would say a good tip is to be social and pop round to see other people. Certainly pop round and see us.

That way it gets you up and moving around. Especially if you are an imager and sat staring at a laptop screen.

That's the quickest way to get cold and believe me, Saturday last year was VERY cold!

Neil

One of my best purchases was from an army surplus store.

German Tank Commander padded trousers.

Fit under a pair of combat trousers and with my Mountain Equipment puffa jacket I'm toasty!

I would say a good tip is to be social and pop round to see other people. Certainly pop round and see us.

That way it gets you up and moving around. Especially if you are an imager and sat staring at a laptop screen.

That's the quickest way to get cold and believe me, Saturday last year was VERY cold!

Neil

It was cold at -8 and my primary froze up!!!

Damian

Hi Neil we will be doing that and visual. I use sequence generator pro ill just leave the imaging to that :-) it is the social and visual we are going for the imaging is a bonus

Ian, here is a link to last years star party posted by one of the group. It was very cold one evening -8 as someone already mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpNZXqonS5w

Im sure you will enjoy the camp and meeting everyone.

Stuart

Yes Ian,all my controllers had frostbite lol and the 12" meade suffered badly from the dew / cold. so extra heater this year and probably a shield as well.  Tents was fine though with a nice warm room to keep the chill at bay.. helped by a few malts :)

Archived