SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway Star Camp 2014

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Alan,

Talking of light pollution....

Galloway site is Bortle 2.0 and LV Mag 7.0 while Halfpenny is Bortle 6.0 and LV Mag 5.41. Incidentally, Lucksall is nearly the same as

Halfpenny.

The Bortle scale, lower numbers are darkness, whilst the other scale is highest is darkness.

See...... http://www.bigskyastroclub.org/lp_bortle.html For Bortle scale.

See...... http://www.need-less.org.uk/#lpsimulator For seeing type of light pollution on the map of UK

Unfortunately it does not appear to work on an iPad. I use my laptop for this program, it is by the CPRE.

Galloway really is very dark on a clear night, on a wet night you cannot see your hand in front of your face it is so dark.

On a clear night, the Milky Way casts light so you can see the outline of the scope.

Definitely worth the visit for clear nights, it has a Wow factor.....

Cheers

Adrian

I was just wondering if there had ever been a sky quality reading done there and what was the result ?

Cheers

I don't know of any actually done at the campsite itself but a member of my observing group Martin has a holiday cottage that you can see from the field and is only 5 minutes away. The last reading he posted on our local forum was 21.6 on his SQM and is well within a mile of Drumroamin.

Hi Steve,

Did you manage to get a replacement tent?

Secondly, I must remember to switch my halo off at the next party......

Galloway is as dark as the observatory at Dalmellington.

Did you know that Mike is spending a week at Dumroamin at the moment.

Cheers

Adrian

I don't know of any actually done at the campsite itself but a member of my observing group Martin has a holiday cottage that you can see from the field and is only 5 minutes away. The last reading he posted on our local forum was 21.6 on his SQM and is well within a mile of Drumroamin.

ive only once had the pleasure of observing under uk skies better than that , and anything over 21.5 are seriously dark skies.

I have the horsehead (visually) as one of my targets as this has eluded me for a year, as has a visual stab at pluto which is another - and for both objects the dark skies will be key.

cheers

ive only once had the pleasure of observing under uk skies better than that , and anything over 21.5 are seriously dark skies.

I have the horsehead (visually) as one of my targets as this has eluded me for a year, as has a visual stab at pluto which is another - and for both objects the dark skies will be key.

cheers

There are two small villages to the north and south west but these have minimal light pollution and I can say the site is very dark and you need to be within a couple of feet of someone before you can recognise them!

The milky way is stunning but its the first time with the scope that I saw vivid colours in the Orion nebula along with all the galaxies in ursa major spent hours in there!

You are all teasing me :evil:

The milky way is stunning but its the first time with the scope that I saw vivid colours in the Orion nebula along with all the galaxies in ursa major spent hours in there!

Exactly the reasons i am going. I am so hoping for clear skies.

Ian

Hi All am up at alloway campsite as we speak,bookings for Autumn star part are going great ,could i  just remind everyone to get there deposits paid asap.otherwise pitches will be reallocated,skies although light are very clear, last night. was very good seeing

Looking forward to seeing everyone in noRegards

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hello Andy nice to hear from you and Sandra,hope your both well?

Hoping to have csp11,just trying to sort a date with Nina,will post soon,

You will really enjoy Galloway and Lesley and family will give you a warm welcome.

I am on site from the Sunday and look forward to catching up with you,will you be bringing your new toy?

Regards

Mike

will you be bringing your new toy?

Mike

That is the plan :)

Currently training up on EQMOD & pulse guiding once I have that nailed, I will mount the AG12 and see how well that tracks. It needs 30Kg to balance the scope so is well outside the spec for an EQ6.

Just need some clear skies which I do not have tonight :(

Andy it will be a pleasure to see what you are going to mount it on,an eq8 perhaps or something more exotic?

I`m sure there will be many helpers to get you firing on all cylinders,i will let you know if were going to hold csp11.

Regards

Mike

Hi Andy,

Great to hear that you and Sandra are well enough to come to the Galloway star party.

I hope to be there with Mike from the Sunday.

Reg is planning to be there on the Sunday as well.

I phoned Nina last weekend about the possibility of holding a Cumbria star party in either August or September .

She needs to discuss the sheep issue with the farmer. She plans to have the grass cut soon.

Mike and myself hope to hear from her this coming weekend.

It would be great to see your new setup.....

Will keep you posted.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi all

I was there last year and it was good (although I heard the skies were magical the year before - drats!)

I should be there again this year hopefully - this time with a campervan instead of the old clapped out Almera which didn't last too much longer after the star party! By then I should also have my first apo refractor (considering WO GT81) on NEQ6 to image so will be looking for lots of pointers from all you experienced fellows!

Also - just putting out the feelers here - but suppose there was going to be one really exceptionally clear night..... Would anyone be interested in driving into the Galloway forest park itself (the campsite is just outside the dark sky park itself).  Although excellent skies at the campsite there is a small town nearby which does emit some light. 

Cheers

Brian

Brian,the small amount of spurious light has never put off the serious  photographers among us,you have also got the added security  and comfort of all the facilities to hand.

You of course are welcome to observe where you choose,the tear down ,travel and setup time to my mind does not warrant the effort.

Look forward to see you this  year ,if you have not booked  i would give Lesley a ring as we are getting towards maximum capacity,

Regards

Mike

Although we are still at the start of August I feel the time between now and the star party will disappear very quickly considering what I still have to do.

I still need to finish my Dob mount build, although it is actually nearing completion, build a Denver observing chair, get some new tent poles, buy a scope coat or toilet tent, get some new hiking/ warm boots and I am sure some others bits and bobs I have not even thought of yet.

Ian

Hi Brian,

I agree there is a tiny amount of light low on the north horizon from the town of Wigton, I agree with Mike that it has not effected the activities of the participants.

We have thought about a visit to the Galloway National Park at night. I was planning a visit to Glen Trool top car park and viewing from near the Bruce Stone. It is dark there at night, many years ago my son and myself came off the mountain called Merrick at about 20:00 on an October night.

Remember the views will not be affected by town lights, there will be some light from a farm further up the glen from the car park.

The view will be heavily effected by things called mountains........... Unless you carry the gear to the top of Merrick... and then you should be able to see the light pollution from Stranraer and maybe Glasgow.

Merrick, I believe is the highest mountain south of Glasgow.

But, I am willing to drive up one evening with you to investigate the feasibility of a more serious visit. It is about 20 miles by road from the camp site.

Cheers

Adrian

Yup agreed the light quality is great at the camp site. It was really just to see that if conditions were exceptionally good whether folk would be interested in a drive into the park. Appreciate that it's a pain with equipment so might not be for everyone.

I've been in the park a couple of times and there's a few good spots that ive used with good views:

Car park at clatteringshaw Loch, although by a main road but with little traffic at night.

Second is up a track (called raiders road) into the forest (but parts have recently been felled). I think this may get closed in winter but you just open the gate and drive through weather dependent!- link here

http://goo.gl/maps/SxVSa

Good view north, West through to south east. I think there are other alternatives up those tracks for views north and east But haven't explored.

Anyway was just a suggestion really in case anyone would be interested. As noted skies at the camp site are good in any event and by the time some vino has been consumed might not be going anywhere!

Brian

Ps I've climbed the merrick. If you're willing to carry your gear a mile or so aping the track there's a bothy which I expect has spectacular night skies! I think people climb up it and take smaller grab and go scopes in the depth of winter (2 hr hike! )

Ian,i would go with toilet tent

Regards

Mike

I have an unmodified toilet tent.  Would you care to share how you modified the strap to insert a fastener?  Is it a case of buying the right "buckle" or is some stitching involved as well?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Great to hear that you and Sandra are well enough to come to the Galloway star party.

I have not booked Sandra in as 5 days in the cold and the wet might be too much for her.  But over dinner last night she said she was up for it  :)

I phoned Nina last weekend about the possibility of holding a Cumbria star party in either August or September .

Probably a bit late for the August Bank Holiday.  Note Kelling is the last week in September and I am already booked for that.  The new kit will be there. :)

Regards

Andy

I was planning to come last year, but fell ill shortly before, and not able to make Nov. this year. I was thinking about staying at the site over new moon weekend in October - has anyone been on a 'non-astro' weekend? Is the site lighting intrusive? Is anyone else thinking of going around then?

Thanks, Callum

Archived