Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Galloway Star Camp 2014

A decent sleeping bag would be a good idea :grin:

Can get a bit chilly that time of year. (was really cold on Saturday night last year !!)

So plenty of warm clothes is a must.

Neil

Chilly at -7deg my scope froze up!

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi folk,im already looking forward to this years event and i think its gonna one of the best yet given the interest already shown.

This will be my 5th visit to Galloway star camp and hope to notch up many more as for me the clear -7 dark skies of Galloway are truley majestic.

Look forward to seeing you all in November.

Kenny

Hello Folks just a quick update for those not yet booked -------There are just two electric hook-ups left so get in quick,booking have been going reallly well.

See you all soon

Regards

Mike

Phew booked just in time by the looks of it!

Mike , I'll be contacting you via PM with some scope dimensions for one of those scope covers you do.It wont be till the back end of August

And thanks again for loaning me that orange spare of your's. If you still do them that is I know you were on about changing the material.

Cheers

Damian

Hello Folks just a quick update for those not yet booked -------There are just two electric hook-ups left so get in quick,booking have been going reallly well.

See you all soon

Regards

Mike

Cheers for that Mike don't no why but was leaving booking in but now you just mentioned that just this second got off phone from Lesley so that's me booked in from weds till sun so fingers crossed for clear skies [emoji437][emoji92][emoji294]️[emoji293][emoji292]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I booked up with Lesley today and got an electric hook up pitch which means I can keep my caravan warm and my beer cool ! Just Friday and Saturday nights for now but depending on work I may be able to get there on thursday if im lucky.

Ive never been to Galloway star party before so I hope you dont mind a new face coming along.

I'll have with me my modified 16inch dob so ill be praying for some crisp winter skies which should be glorious in such a dark area.

Look forward to seeing you there folks,

cheers,

Ian

Hi Alan,

The places are booking up quite quickly at the moment.

Your best bet is to give Lesley at http://www.drumroamin.co.uk

a phone call and book up ASAP.

I travel 800 miles round trip to the event, as others say it is definitely worth it.......... The Milky Way does actually exist!!!

Interestingly, where I live it is easy to spot Jupiter, as the rest of the sky is lost with light pollution, at Galloway it is more difficult as Jupiter is surrounded by billions of stars. It is considerately darker than Lucksall and does not have any road noise and a better horizon.

Secondly, Lesley and Ralph adapt the site to ensure that it is as dark as possible.

If the weather is bad, we use the games room to play pool and learn about malt whiskey, the tasting sessions are great fun.

Ian, because it is a smallish event, it is easy to make friends, there is a core group who attend Galloway also attend Cumbria.

They will make you very welcome, especially if you like whiskey.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Alan,

The places are booking up quite quickly at the moment.

Your best bet is to give Lesley at http://www.drumroamin.co.uk

a phone call and book up ASAP.

I travel 800 miles round trip to the event, as others say it is definitely worth it.......... The Milky Way does actually exist!!!

Interestingly, where I live it is easy to spot Jupiter, as the rest of the sky is lost with light pollution, at Galloway it is more difficult as Jupiter is surrounded by billions of stars. It is considerately darker than Lucksall and does not have any road noise and a better horizon.

Its 830mile round trip for me but in the motorhome which isn't made by Ferrari it'll feel like a lot longer :grin:

I'll give Lesley a ring shortly

Hi Alan,

The

They will make you very welcome, especially if you like whiskey.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

I am glad to see that it is whiskey that people will be drinking, rather than whisky - I much prefer Irish :evil:

Ian

Has anyone that's been to Drumromin also been to Six Penny Handley?

I went to 6PH last year and the skies were considerably darker then Lucksall (when they were clear).

Everything suggests that this will be darker again but i was just wondering if anyone can compare the two.

Cheers

Alan

Hi Ian,

There is a distillery in Wigton, called Bladnoch, however they called in the liquidator on 14th March 2014.

They have cancelled tours until further notice, shame we could help them assess the stock!

http://www.bladnoch.co.uk

There is a pub opposite the distillery, which does good food but is a tiny bit pricey. Steaks etc cost about £16.

It is a friendly place with locals mainly farmers who are a good laugh.

Alan,

It takes me usually 7 hours to do the trip. It is advisable to keep to the speed limit along the A75 from the M6/M74 junction.

There are usually 3 to 4 camera vans on the road. It is fairly dangerous in places given the amount of lorry traffic going/coming from the ferry port.

I leave home at 07:00am to arrive around 14:00. Gives time to put the tent up before complete darkness descends...

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Yes, I have eaten in the Bladnoch Inn, which as you say is just accross the road from the distillery. I had seen the distillery had gone into liquidation - the guy that owns / owned it is from Northern Ireland. From what I have seen their firewater looks to be on the expensive side.

I am really looking forward to this star party. It will my first time in properly dark skies (since becoming interested in astronomy) and I should have completed the dob mount for my 300PDS. I better blooming had of finished it by November!

Ian

Hi Ian,

There is a distillery in Wigton, called Bladnoch, however they called in the liquidator on 14th March 2014.

They have cancelled tours until further notice, shame we could help them assess the stock!

http://www.bladnoch.co.uk

There is a pub opposite the distillery, which does good food but is a tiny bit pricey. Steaks etc cost about £16.

It is a friendly place with locals mainly farmers who are a good laugh.

Alan,

It takes me usually 7 hours to do the trip. It is advisable to keep to the speed limit along the A75 from the M6/M74 junction.

There are usually 3 to 4 camera vans on the road. It is fairly dangerous in places given the amount of lorry traffic going/coming from the ferry port.

I leave home at 07:00am to arrive around 14:00. Gives time to put the tent up before complete darkness descends...

Cheers

Adrian

ROFL... Keep to the speed limits.... If i can get it up to the speed limit I'll be happy

Its not quick LOL

Hi Alan,

did you have a Mak 127 at SGL that I never got chance to look through ?

I was a few pitches along from you and it had clouded up by the time I wandered back over with my beer >

If so, then maybe Ill get chance to have a nosey through that scope if thats still ok !

Cheers

Hi Alan,

did you have a Mak 127 at SGL that I never got chance to look through ?

I was a few pitches along from you and it had clouded up by the time I wandered back over with my beer >

If so, then maybe Ill get chance to have a nosey through that scope if thats still ok !

Cheers

Yeah no sweat i'll have it with me

Hi Adrian,

Yes, I have eaten in the Bladnoch Inn, which as you say is just accross the road from the distillery. I had seen the distillery had gone into liquidation - the guy that owns / owned it is from Northern Ireland. From what I have seen their firewater looks to be on the expensive side.

I am really looking forward to this star party. It will my first time in properly dark skies (since becoming interested in astronomy) and I should have completed the dob mount for my 300PDS. I better blooming had of finished it by November!

Ian

I've got to crack on with my scope build but if not I will be taking the 200PDS. I am hoping its going to be finished for the peak which hopefully will be dry!

I'll try my best to get it there as I'm about half way through one for someone with another for my friend to build and also the mirror grind to finish, test and get coated! Think I'm going round the twist!

I'm hoping to do a full build thread once the first one is done and tested! How's your base coming along Ian.

Archived