SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway Star Camp 2014

Hi folks,

I just wondered if any info packs would be coming out to those who are attending, or will these be given out on arrival ?

Not long now,

Cheers

There isn't an info pack as such as far as I'm aware Astromonkey . If you need any more info you can always contact Mike (Demon Barber) or the site owners (Lesley and Ralph) at Dunroamin Farm. Hope that helps and looking forward to it  :grin:

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers mapstar.

No problem , usual red light rules I would expect etc. Just wanted to check I hadnt missed anything being sent out.

I was wondering also what kit people would be bringing, ill have my 16inch with me with diy "push to" system fitted. Ill also have my 20x80 binoculars with me as well.

Cheers

Cheers mapstar.

No problem , usual red light rules I would expect etc. Just wanted to check I hadnt missed anything being sent out.

I was wondering also what kit people would be bringing, ill have my 16inch with me with diy "push to" system fitted. Ill also have my 20x80 binoculars with me as well.

Cheers

Look forward to seeing that and having a good nosey around.

I'll be taking the 200pds on HEQ5 as my larger scope is no where near finished unfortunately.

Damian

I always bring too much stuff / kit to these things. I will definitely be bring Sw 300PDS Dob, SW150P (with ST80 attached) for imaging and TAL100RS PST Mod. I may also bring My C8. If I do that just means I will be bringing all my kit - as i said earlier, I always bring too much stuff to these things :huh:

Oh, I will also be bringing some whiskey (spelt with an "e") :grin:

Ian

Now now folks don`t get to excited,you tend to forget things :grin: I do not have any packs a this is ,always a very informal meet.

On  arrival just check in at reception and Lesley will allocate you your pitch and any ,info you may require,you can always email me and you will find me in the first static caravan,just knock and bring whisky :evil:  :evil:

All we expect are people to be aware of others  imaging and avoid prolonged use of lasers for pointing  out points of interest.

Everyone who attends are really friendly and are always willing to help out if needed.

We are lucky this year to have two talks lined up in case of inclement weather :eek:  :eek: Derek Brown and Robbie Ince have been good enough to volunteer. Subjects tbc.

Long range forecasts are looking favorable,keeping everything crossed,we must be due cold clear one :p

Well off out to look at the moon.

Regards

Mike

After 7 months of waiting the Star camp is fast approaching and looks like the best yet going by the numbers on here. Let the countdown begin.....

Does it really look like this will be the year with the greatest numbers attending? What do you put that down to? How many are currently expected ~25 - 30 ? Have you ever filled the campsite?

Ian

Ian ,can be put down to the campsite owners hard work in creating a very well appointed safe,dark adapted astronomers dream site(weather permitting).

Really Lesley and Ralphs commitment to everyone attending, having a great stay, is the one reason i love this site oh and the cleanliness.

We would love to have the site filled,but as you have discovered due to the vagaries of weather you really need electricity on every hookup,Lesley has this year put in 5 new hookups.

30 electric pitches booked and a couple of non electric room for plenty more,and  of course the Gallloway Erection team always on hand ,(except during inclement weather storms etc)(oh and whiskey tasting)t to offer expert advice on how to put up yer tent :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:.

I have to just add it is the people attending who make the Galloway Star Camp Scotland's premier astroevent.

Regards

Mike

Hi folk,i'll second everything Mike has said in post 188.

Lesley & Ralph are excellent hosts,the facillities are top grade for a campsite.

Ian,i think there was nearly 80/90 attendees in previous events over the course of the week but as Mike said its the people who travel many miles that make it special.

If were lucky enough to get a night in like the Saturday last year we'll be in for a treat that will have newcomers coming back for years.

Counting down the days now...

Kenny

Just in case anyone attending the star camp is interested, as it's only about an hour's drive from Newton Stewart, we have an event at the Scottish Dark Sky Observatory on Saturday 22nd November with Dr Giles Hammond of University of Glasgow giving a talk.

Anyone is also welcome to book a visit to the observatory while you're in the area.

Archived