Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Star Camp 2014

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What scope are you using Derek....I'm official between scopes (till tomorrow :grin: )

I'll summon up the courage for my image in a bit

Neil

Hi Neil,

How is the new scope? Hope it is all you wanted. I will be interested as to what size image you get as to the field of view. Been thinking of a wider field, which means another scope as I cannot get a reducer for my scope. As usual in  our hobby more hassle from the better half :evil: Still got to have a project to keep your mind  active Eh!

Derek

Hi Derek

Arrived this morning.

Very pleased, quality of focuser, movement is really good.

I'm a bit back to square one with my set up as I'll be resetting my balance and cabling loom arrangement.

It'll be interesting moving from 72mmm around 400mm FL to 102 mm around 800mm FL as far as widefield goes?

The scope came with the matched WO 0,8 reducer/flattener so that will help.

I'm sure it will be good.

Always had a liking for WO scopes

Neil

Hi Derek

Arrived this morning.

Very pleased, quality of focuser, movement is really good.

I'm a bit back to square one with my set up as I'll be resetting my balance and cabling loom arrangement.

It'll be interesting moving from 72mmm around 400mm FL to 102 mm around 800mm FL as far as widefield goes?

The scope came with the matched WO 0,8 reducer/flattener so that will help.

I'm sure it will be good.

Always had a liking for WO scopes

Neil

Hi Neil,

Not trying to be funny but is the new WO scope 800mm focal length or is it 703mm.

Whatever It is it will be a wider field than I get. I cannot fit a reducer to mine as the  WO field flattener is not a reducer as well. Unfortunately  I cannot get anything else in between the field flattener and the camera because of the Adaptive optics unit. Limited to 113.1mm train length between the rear of the flattener lens and the CCD. This is reduced by every bit of glass in that light path. To operate at ideal flat field you will have to check your distance to the imaging chip from the rear of the flattener lens. It will be on the W.O. website.

WO reducers and field flatteners are really good if mine is anything to go by.

Have fun. I love new kit!

Regards,

Derek

Hi

Looks like it's 703mm

I'll be using my 1100D with it, so it'll be the reducer/flattener screwed into the t-adapter.

The WO reducer/flattener is certainly shorter than the skywatcher flattener I used previously with my megrez 72

Looks like ideal distance is 70.5mm ?

I guess I won't be far away from that

Neil

Just had a quick measure of the components and I'll be spot on with what WO recommend with the reducer/flattener.

Time will tell

Hi Neil,

Sorry it has been a few days but been busy (water leaks).

If you look  here (FLO at there page on the .8 reducer they say 60.95mm back focus, for your new scope), I'd check it out. Not too important if you do not plan to do any mosaics, but you will get oval stars at the edges. I know that WO website says about 70mm in one page but if you look further at the page on flatteners you will see the other measurements. I originally had the same problem with different prescribed distances for my scope/flattener. I know that the website says that it is for a canon mount, but, it is the rear of the  glass to ccd measurement that counts. I had to have special adapters made for mine.

All the best for the Christmas and New Year,

Derek

Will do.

I'm concentrating getting everything set up at moment.

Complete reposition of remote focuser is done.

Yet to actually mount scope and check balance.

Too much sleet n snow for anything else.

Cheers for good wishes and same to you and yours.

Neil

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Well here go's first effort processing at Horsehead in Maxim and photoshop. Very little sub times due to equipment failure. But seeing others thought I'd give it a go.

Derek

Had another go at this image to see if I could improve it. trying to learn PixInsight. Slow process for me, but managed to reduce the star bloat. I can now see the star behind and to the left Alnitak. The Halo effect is from the GB filters mostly and a bit from the narrow band Blue and Green filters. I'm going to email Astronomik about this.

Derek

post-3291-0-28188200-1432043517_thumb.jp

Archived