SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galloway Star Camp 2014

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Folks,

I have just got back from a walk with Lesley and her 6 month old beautiful Black Lab called Bud.

Strangely, Bud behaves like all Labs, intelligent, high activity levels and obeys the whistle.

There is a cool drying breeze at present, Mike and myself have had part 1 of breakfast, part 2 the fry up will be when I have unloaded the car.

I must get the scope up while it is still dry.

This is definitely a great location for a star party.

Last night we had 4 hours of clear skies. The Milky Way looks brilliant, the Orion Nebula, the Plough was crystal clear. If the weather is like this every night, it will be difficult to go back home !!

To David, it is wacky here, I have a bottle of Strathisla, I think I will have to drink your share to get down to my share..

Cheers

Adrian

Guys

i need a favour, in my infinate wisdom i may have left my red dot finder on and the battery has gone dead. i have only realised after i setup everything and i can't move the van now.

Is there anyone on their way who'd be willing to pick me one up and i'll sort you out the money + required alcohol when you arrive.

Its a CR2032

Cheers

Hi alan,

If the weatner plays ball ill be there and based in the same bitter experience as you I always have cr2032 in my battery spares as it fits red dot finder and my laser collimator. Dont count on me as im weather dependant at the moment but if im there on thurday then ill have cr2032 with me. I've checked and I have 3 spares on board.

Cheers

Hi All,despite adverse weather forecast we have just had a short clear spell by the time it took to set the dslr it had gone fired off a 30sec shot all i got was a meager two stars,at least Alan who has traveled from nr London has had a taster of a really dark sky :eek: .

Well we will give it another go in an hour, you never know, what do the weather people know :Envy:  :Envy:  :Envy:

Regards

Mike

Well said Mike what do they know in my eyes they don't know it's gonna be clear most nights just like last year all the local towns said it was cloudy but us on the campsite seemed to get that clear spot for 4 days ( how and why who knows but it was amazing ) but let's hope the same happens this time round as I've spent lots and lots of ££££££ on this new Equipment and want to make this years Galloway star party video twice as good as last years. [emoji437][emoji437][emoji13]

Lots of fog here at present in south yorkshire. Hopefully the forecasters have got It wrong as they usually do.

Appreciate the on site weather reports Mike and fingers crossed you'll be reporting that the skies were clear tonight.

Damian

As you watch this video about 2 secs before it shows the Pacman nebula you can see a very bright Taurid meteor which lit up the whole campsite and was one of the best things I saw at the star party.

So don't forget this party is during the peak of the Leiond's which will be just as good (Clear skies permitting)

Hi Folks,

The Daily Report from the campsite.....

We saw some stars on Saturday night for 30 minutes at around 23:00 pm. Then cloud.

We were up at 05:18 am this morning, crystal clear sky patch big enough to see the Plough, Bootes, Orion, M42, M43, Waxing Moon 35%, Jupiter and M45.

At about 05:55 am  the North part of the sky started cloud over. The area around the Moon was partly cloudy.

The skies here even with the Moon are very dark, the Orion Nebula is viewable by naked eye.

Mike has just finished breakfast....

The site is nice and dry.

The weather looks to be set fair for the next few days. 

All the best.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi folks,hope you are all having a great time.2 more days of work and counting...Galloway has always given us at least one special night and its obviously waiting for me to arrive.

Keep the faith...the Astronomical one that is.

See you all Wednesday.

Kenny

I love this place, i want to marry it and have its babies.....

Its been clear up until now but its just begun to cloud over, bit hazy but the milky way was visible to the naked eye.

I'm Polar Aligned via align master & managed 75min on M33 before it clouded over, its all asleep at the moment but i'm ready now for when its clear.

By far the best sky i have seen and theres load more to come from it, just hope i get to see it.

Cheers for the offer Andy.

Mike had a spare here so im all up and running

Cheers

Glad you got one sorted

Mike is a helpful chap and a great ambassador for this hobby and star party.

Looking forward to getting up there Wednesday and seeing everyone and those dark starry skies

Damian

Hi All,

The Daily Report........

We are up and about awaiting breakfast.

The view across Wigtown  Bay is amazing with the sun rays hitting the sea and hills behind.

Yesterday, Sunday was a nice day, no rain, no wind, with light cloud.

At dusk, the clouds retreat and the Milky Way appears to order. We had stars in most parts of the sky. Great activity on the site until about 21:30 when the clouds started to roll in.

By 22:00 we had a full set of cloud, Capella was the last star we saw.....

Coverson,  while hoping for the stars to re-appear.

Time for the social side of the star party.....Whiskey!

Message to Dave... Strathisla is very nice.. we drank some of your share...

The weather at present looks interesting, blue skies and some dark grey clouds.

Better sign off and start the breakfast.

Cheers

Adrian

Archived